SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Volvo S60 T5 FWD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in NJ and I just did an oil change over at the Volvo dealership. I’m just curious as to why they would put 0w20 in a car where the manual says either 5w30, 0w30 for colder climates.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
I live in NJ and I just did an oil change over at the Volvo dealership. I’m just curious as to why they would put 0w20 in a car where the manual says either 5w30, 0w30 for colder climates.
Oil consumption. 4 cylinder Cars that have had the piston rings go bad, and replaced, require 0w20 per Volvo Updated Recommendations. 0w20 was what Volvo Engineers intended for these vehicles, but it wasn't readily available int he US. And I forget, but I believe 0w30 was substituted (or 5w30 brain fart), which proved potentially problematic.

Rings would stick, resulting in cars burning oil, and potential scoring of the cylinders. Meaning either engine needed torn down to replace rings or engine was trashed.

My 2015.5 was an oil consumer, got new rings and pistons, as the ring design was updated in mid 2016.

·
Registered
2013 Volvo S60 T5 FWD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oil consumption. Cars that have had the piston rings go bad, and replaced, require 0w20 per Volvo Updated Recommendations. 0w20 was what Volvo Engineers intended for these vehicles, but it wasn't readily available int he US. And I forget I believe 0w30 was substituted (could be 5w30 forget). Proved potentially problematic.

Rings would stick, resulting in cars burning oil, and potential scoring of the cylinders. Meaning either engine needed torn down to replace rings or engine was trashed.

My 2015.5 was an oil consumer, got new rings and pistons, as the ring design was updated in mid 2016.

Ah okay, yea I had the original engine replaced at 91,232 miles due to oil burning then the engine eventually seizing up. After a whole bunch of nonsense they replaced it with an engine that was at 67,000m. This was my first oil change with this engine so I was like huh, why’d they put this in.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
The 0W-20 spec is for the VEA engine.

The OP has the 5 cylinder (B5254T12).

The engine in question is not spec'ed to use 0W-20. In any way, shape or form. The running viscosity is too low.

From the 2018 S60 Manual. I've circled the information of note.

You need to take that car back to the dealer and make them change to the correct spec.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
The 0W-20 spec is for the VEA engine.

The OP has the 5 cylinder (B5254T12).

The engine in question is not spec'ed to use 0W-20. In any way, shape or form. The running viscosity is too low.

From the 2018 S60 Manual. I've circled the information of note.

View attachment 118954

You need to take that car back to the dealer and make them change to the correct spec.
You're definitely right. Didn't realize the 2013 was a 5 cylinder.

·
Registered
2013 Volvo S60 T5 FWD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Contacted the dealership, they said they put 5w30 in, they just didn’t have the correct 5w30 sticker to put on that’s why the 0w20 was there. Thank god, had me a little worried there that they were ****ing me over to get this 2nd engine replaced haha

·
Registered
2012 S60 T6 AWD
43 Posts
Contacted the dealership, they said they put 5w30 in, they just didn’t have the correct 5w30 sticker to put on that’s why the 0w20 was there. Thank god, had me a little worried there that they were ****ing me over to get this 2nd engine replaced haha
Not sure if there is an easy way to check, but I'd look into that further. That explanation seems a bit suspicious, and I'd want to be very sure since Volvo explicitly said to NOT use that oil in your 5cyl. It would be extremely easy for a tech to get mixed up on the model years and think you have the 4cyl...

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Not sure if there is an easy way to check, but I'd look into that further. That explanation seems a bit suspicious, and I'd want to be very sure since Volvo explicitly said to NOT use that oil in your 5cyl. It would be extremely easy for a tech to get mixed up on the model years and think you have the 4cyl...
No real way to check unless you had a Brookfield viscometer and a heat plate handy in your garage... The other way would be to send a vial of oil to Blackstone Laboratories to do a viscosity check with the UOA.

I would think it would be unlikely for the tech to get confused on years... The engines dont even look remotely the same. Even the filters are in different places (filters for five and six cylinder engines are mounted above in engine bay versus below).

Still...If any doubt persists, I would just press again or pay to dump and fill somewhere else. I'd need assurance.

·
Registered
2013 Volvo S60 T5 FWD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
According to the dealership when I had called they double checked the vin on the car to make sure that they put the right oil in, they told me that they buy the stickers in bulk and that’s what I just ended up getting. Unfortunately my Volvo dealer sucks and we don’t have the best relationship with them. I mean we literally had to sue them to get a replacement engine. (Even though we were still covered by the warranty). Guess I’ll just have to go to another Volvo dealer for the oil changes etc.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
According to the dealership when I had called they double checked the vin on the car to make sure that they put the right oil in, they told me that they buy the stickers in bulk and that’s what I just ended up getting. Unfortunately my Volvo dealer sucks and we don’t have the best relationship with them. I mean we literally had to sue them to get a replacement engine. (Even though we were still covered by the warranty). Guess I’ll just have to go to another Volvo dealer for the oil changes etc.
When you say Warranty do you mean "Factory", "CPO" or an Extended warranty?

Why did you have to sue? I don't like my local dealer all that well. Not the most competent techs. Dealer 90 miles away (each way), does much better work. So I trek 180 miles roundtrip each service and warranty repair I need.

·
Registered
2013 Volvo S60 T5 FWD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When you say Warranty do you mean "Factory", "CPO" or an Extended warranty?

Why did you have to sue? I don't like my local dealer all that well. Not the most competent techs. Dealer 90 miles away (each way), does much better work. So I trek 180 miles roundtrip each service and warranty repair I need.

Factory CPO, engine had seized up due to it burning oil. They didn’t wanna replace it because I was doing my own oil changes, but nowhere does it say that it’s (Required) to be serviced at Volvo. They had tried to imply that I had messed something up replacing the oil. They dropped the oil pan and noticed there was fresh oil in the car. I was doing my oil changes every 3,000miles so I mean yea, no leaks nothing. Just that it was burning 2qts of oil every 3,000. Engine eventually seized and then I took it over to Volvo for them to check it out. Car was still under warranty but because I was doing my own oil changes (even had receipts and dates for everything) they didn’t wanna honor it. The car sat there for a few days and then one day we got a call from one of the service people telling us that the warranty was expired and that we’d have to pay outa pocket for a car that was sitting there under warranty. Quoted us 11k for an engine that had 132,000miles on it when we paid 10k for the car, so we had to sue them. Then one day the big boss of the dealership calls and says (hey sorry, I just came into work today and noticed that we were being sued and what’s the problem so that we can fix it) Finally replaced it with an engine around 67k miles when the original engine was at 78k miles. Took 6 months to get a new engine from that dealership

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Factory CPO, engine had seized up due to it burning oil. They didn’t wanna replace it because I was doing my own oil changes, but nowhere does it say that it’s (Required) to be serviced at Volvo. They had tried to imply that I had messed something up replacing the oil. They dropped the oil pan and noticed there was fresh oil in the car. I was doing my oil changes every 3,000miles so I mean yea, no leaks nothing. Just that it was burning 2qts of oil every 3,000. Engine eventually seized and then I took it over to Volvo for them to check it out. Car was still under warranty but because I was doing my own oil changes (even had receipts and dates for everything) they didn’t wanna honor it. The car sat there for a few days and then one day we got a call from one of the service people telling us that the warranty was expired and that we’d have to pay outa pocket for a car that was sitting there under warranty. Quoted us 11k for an engine that had 132,000miles on it when we paid 10k for the car, so we had to sue them. Then one day the big boss of the dealership calls and says (hey sorry, I just came into work today and noticed that we were being sued and what’s the problem so that we can fix it) Finally replaced it with an engine around 67k miles when the original engine was at 78k miles. Took 6 months to get a new engine from that dealership
Dear lord, so they had the car while the warranty was active, but sat on it until the warranty purposely expired? That's one shady dealer! I'd never set foot on their lot again. So was the engine a rebuild with 67k miles? Or what do you mean it took 6 months to get a new engine from dealer?

Hope they shelled out for the attorney fees, too.

·
Registered
2013 Volvo S60 T5 FWD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dear lord, so they had the car while the warranty was active, but sat on it until the warranty purposely expired? That's one shady dealer! I'd never set foot on their lot again. So was the engine a rebuild with 67k miles? Or what do you mean it took 6 months to get a new engine from dealer?

Hope they shelled out for the attorney fees, too.
Yea, the car was on the lot and they just sat on it until it expired. Engine was a rebuild. Originally they were gonna try to fix the first engine, but while the service manager had it for a week it **** out on him while getting food. Few of the things that they replaced in the first engine was transplanted over to the second Engine.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Yea, the car was on the lot and they just sat on it until it expired. Engine was a rebuild. Originally they were gonna try to fix the first engine, but while the service manager had it for a week it **** out on him while getting food. Few of the things that they replaced in the first engine was transplanted over to the second Engine.
Incompetence. So was service manager driving your car around for "test drives", and it died during one? Sounds like the dealer in inept. If car taken in during warranty, the repair is warranty related. If I have a problem at 99,999 miles (I have 100K CPO) and the car is towed into dealer. Just cause they test drive and put the odometer to 100,001 miles, doesn't mean my car repair isn't covered. What asinine logic about sitting on your car for a month then saying, you were to blame.

Glad lawyer sorted, but man I would high tail it to another dealer. Never giving these guys a second look.

·
Registered
2013 Volvo S60 T5 FWD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Incompetence. So was service manager driving your car around for "test drives", and it died during one? Sounds like the dealer in inept. If car taken in during warranty, the repair is warranty related. If I have a problem at 99,999 miles (I have 100K CPO) and the car is towed into dealer. Just cause they test drive and put the odometer to 100,001 miles, doesn't mean my car repair isn't covered. What asinine logic about sitting on your car for a month then saying, you were to blame.

Glad lawyer sorted, but man I would high tail it to another dealer. Never giving these guys a second look.
Haha tell me about it, while he was test driving it, seized and locked up.

They even had to nerve to say that I wasn’t even a loyal Volvo customer, (while my previous car was a 09 S40 T5)

Good thing my neighbors works for Volvo and not for that dealership so I can just head over to my buddies and get things done there from now on.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Haha tell me about it, while he was test driving it, seized and locked up.

They even had to nerve to say that I wasn’t even a loyal Volvo customer, (while my previous car was a 09 S40 T5)

Good thing my neighbors works for Volvo and not for that dealership so I can just head over to my buddies and get things done there from now on.
Astounding. Considering you took it in for engine issues. And it seized on their watch, too. Heck, my dealer did a tear down on my engine for consumption. Replaced piston rings, pistons, and spark plugs. Probably a $4-5k job, although not sure how much CPO paid them. Still, you'd think they'd want the money. Obviously though, billing you over CPO pays more. So greed set in I'm sure.

Not sure I truly buy the 0w20 sticker by mistake, over dealer potentially using 0w20 and not admitted to it. Sounds like this dealer has no clue from the get go.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts