1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
I was looking through car and driver and stumbled across an article from 2013 with a Volvo concept car. It’s kind of interesting looking back and seeing how close the new SPA cars are to this concept. You can see many of the design cues of the current cars in this concept, which at the time probably looked like a spaceship.

https://www.caranddriver.com/photos/g17900006/volvo-concept-coupe-photos-and-info-news-gallery/?slide=1
You are 6 years late. This coupe literally becomes Polestar 1 today, will roll out of factory in a month or so.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
670 Posts
Now that would be a cool car to bring to market! C90.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are 6 years late. This coupe literally becomes Polestar 1 today, will roll out of factory in a month or so.

What am I late to exactly? This article is from 2013. I understand the similarities to the upcoming polestar 1, but that doesn’t change the fact that this concept, 6 years ago, 2 years before the SPA Xc90 was rolled out, has many of the designs that we see today. My experience with concepts is that they generally are pipe dreams and usually to much comes from them. In this case, this car, or something similar, actually exists today in a form that is not much different than what we are getting in the SPA cars. If you think back to what cars were coming out in 2013 and what they looked like, this car was a pretty radical shift from those vehicles.

·
Registered
664 Posts
That’s pretty cool. 60 series headlamps, s/V90 front grill, s90 tail lamps, 60series wood trim on the dash.

·
Registered
130 Posts

My experience with concepts is that they generally are pipe dreams and usually to much comes from them. In this case, this car, or something similar, actually exists today in a form that is not much different than what we are getting in the SPA cars.
I would have to somewhat disagree, design concepts are generally put out to test the waters and see how customers react. The concept coupe and estate (I would throw my money at it if they ever build it!) were so well received, Volvo quickly understood what they have to build.

Sure, you get some super wacky concepts that are 10+ years ahead (they like to wear names with „vision“ in them) but you do tend to see concepts close to what is coming 2-3 years ahead of launch.

Man... now I’m stuck dreaming of a concept estate again... thanks 😄

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
What am I late to exactly? This article is from 2013. I understand the similarities to the upcoming polestar 1, but that doesn’t change the fact that this concept, 6 years ago, 2 years before the SPA Xc90 was rolled out, has many of the designs that we see today. My experience with concepts is that they generally are pipe dreams and usually to much comes from them. In this case, this car, or something similar, actually exists today in a form that is not much different than what we are getting in the SPA cars. If you think back to what cars were coming out in 2013 and what they looked like, this car was a pretty radical shift from those vehicles.
Just that 6 years ago these three beautiful concept cars have been discussed a lot. It is of course nothing wrong to look at it again now, and also on real cars for those design styles.

·
Registered
52 Posts
For this i like Volvo. They take much from the design of their concept cars in production for their real cars.
For example see the wooden car key in the center console..;-)
But you´re right, this would be a great car for now... and not in electric like the polestar 1. Great car, but the price is out
of range for the most people.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts