SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.media.volvocars.com/global/enhanced/en-gb/Media/Preview.aspx?mediaid=43313

I'm interested in these comments:

"The Volvo S60, V60, XC60, V70, XC70 and S80 can also be equipped with the new systems Road Sign Information, Active High beam and Tunnel Detection.
  • Road Sign Information supports the driver by displaying road signs in the instrument cluster.
  • The new Active High Beam technology offers automatic switching between high and low beam at the right moment.
  • Tunnel Detection automatically turns on the headlight when the car enters a tunnel.
All models with automatic gearbox come with the new illuminated gearshift knob, first introduced in the all-new Volvo V40. The gearshift knob is transparent and LED-illuminated from inside. The pattern is reflected to create an exclusive 3D illusion."

Will some of these things be included in a software update for current S60 owners? And will the illuminated gearshift knob be a bolt-on option for current S60 owners?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Tunnel Detection automatically turns on the headlight when the car enters a tunnel.

[/I][/B]
I wonder how this is different from dusk sensing headlights? I'd like this as part of a SW upgrade. The sensor exists because I can tell when the interior lights change in response to external lighting conditions.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
https://www.media.volvocars.com/global/enhanced/en-gb/Media/Preview.aspx?mediaid=43313

"The Volvo S60, V60, XC60, V70, XC70 and S80 can also be equipped with the new systems Road Sign Information, Active High beam and Tunnel Detection.
  • Road Sign Information supports the driver by displaying road signs in the instrument cluster.
  • The new Active High Beam technology offers automatic switching between high and low beam at the right moment.
  • Tunnel Detection automatically turns on the headlight when the car enters a tunnel.
All models with automatic gearbox come with the new illuminated gearshift knob, first introduced in the all-new Volvo V40. The gearshift knob is transparent and LED-illuminated from inside. The pattern is reflected to create an exclusive 3D illusion."

Will some of these things be included in a software update for current S60 owners? And will the illuminated gearshift knob be a bolt-on option for current S60 owners?
Not sure if that road sign information is serious .... I think they're trolling drivers.

·
Registered
224 Posts
you're seeing a Volvo Global newsroom announcement. The sign recognition, automatic lights (we already have with DRL) and automatic high beams, sound like good compliments to add to the technology package, did you select that? We'll have to see what VCNA adopts and offers.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
DRL is not the same as automatic high beams.

Curious to see what these new "forged" 5 spoke wheels are.

·
Registered
90 Posts

The road sign information thingy Saab and some of the GM products were offering that with some packages. I believe there is an Opel Insignia commercial on You Tube that demonstrates that it can read road signs. I know the Saab 9-5 offered that and I thought it was slick (RIP Saab). I hope this update is available though as part of a s/w upgrade with current cars.

As for the LED gearshift knob, it sounds like they would also be redoing the design of the shift gate bezel in switching to the new design. If they didn't then you would have two sets of PRND +/- indicators (on the knob and in the bezel) which would seem redundant. Makes me wonder if they made some other interior "enhancements".

·
Registered
303 Posts
Adding the Active High Beam switching brings it one step closer to an E class or 5 Series.

All that Volvo needs to do now is give us a diesel option and add night vision and a loaded S60 could match either of them feature for feature and at 2/3's the price plus have City Safety, which neither offers (at present).

·
Registered
90 Posts
Adding the Active High Beam switching brings it one step closer to an E class or 5 Series.

All that Volvo needs to do now is give us a diesel option and add night vision and a loaded S60 could match either of them feature for feature and at 2/3's the price plus have City Safety, which neither offers (at present).
I agree but does the S60 compete with the E and 5? It's usually compared with the C, 3, A4 etc.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I agree but does the S60 compete with the E and 5? It's usually compared with the C, 3, A4 etc.

No, it doesn't. That's the S80's supposed job. Space and size aside, a few more add ons and the S60 will be as feature rich as much more expensive cars.

·
Registered
744 Posts
My BMW F10 5-Series has these features. I have camera-based speed limit information, automatic high beams, etc. These are now also available on the F30 3-Series, which the S60 competes with, so I'm not surprised to see Volvo adding them. The shift lever on BMW's has also incorporated LED technology for a while now, with the gear indicator, etc. being visible on top of the shift lever. There's no "shift gate" like on the S60.

I'm curious if this means that Volvo will be revising instrument clusters to add color LCD information displays, like on the V40?

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
I think they must be doing that if they are going to show speed limit info on the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Preview of things to come? I got this from the V60 Plugin Hybrid, but there's nothing saying they won't use this dash for MY2013 S60.

And here's a video of the car. I believe it might include the LED shifter too. If the S60 comes to the US with these changes I will be so glad I waited to buy one. Man, I hope they make these upgrades for MY2013.

·
Registered
56 Posts
New intelligent high-beams, invented by Gentex, are currently available on this year's Jeep Grand Cherokee and selected Chrysler and Jeep vehicles will be sporting the system in 2006.

Present systems based on imaging CMOS cameras can detect and respond appropriately to leading and oncoming vehicles while disregarding streetlights, road signs, and other spurious signals. Camera-based beam selection was first released in 2005 on the Jeep Grand Cherokee, and has since then been incorporated into comprehensive driver assistance systems by automakers worldwide.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts