SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

After my overheating issue I had to buy a new electric fan. NO worries on that, however my rear passenger side lower tail light also lost its seal at the same time and now is constantly fogged up.

So I ordered the new 2013 Tail Lights for my 2007 XC90 Sport, however the guy selling me the parts told me the car will throw a Tail Light Failure Warning Indicator because the new LED lights do not have the same resistance as the bulb based setup, resistance is actually less.

Does anyone know how I can keep this Warning Light from occuring and coming up on my dash? As the parts guy informed me people had come up with a solution for this, but he was unaware of what it was.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
KC

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
143 Posts
You will not get a tail light warning, but a brake light warning.

You need 2 x "RL-650: Tail Light Load Resistor". I picked up mine from eBay for $4,49 incl. shipping (http://www.ebay.com/itm/130715239352). There are three wires going to the "LED part" of your lamp, you need to connect the resistor between the YELLOW and BLACK wire. Behind the lamp, in the chassis, there's a rectangular piece of foam, rip it off and put the resistor in there. They will get quite warm when you brake so it should not touch anything plastic. Installation is done in a few minutes.

Here's my 2003 :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Dare I ask how much they set you back?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Well, they weren't cheap. Got them used from a wrecked car though. Didn't check how much Volvo wants for them, since car parts in Norway are usually quite expensive. I saw some on eBay a while back though, think they were around $800.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts