SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my local Volvo dealer do my brakes on Aug 31st and they have been squealing like pigs ever since, So i finally took it back in earlier this week to have the squealing addressed. The dealer realizes they can't remove my front wheels because the locking lugs nuts have been over torqued. They are attempting to drill them out but said they may have to take a torch to the wheels to lug nuts which will damage the wheels.

For now I am in a 2013 Volvo S60 T5 loaner at the dealers cost. I am impressed by how well it soaks up rough roads while maintaining grip in comparison to my R.

I have had the worst luck lately between the independent I tried out to replace my alternator which ended up keeping my car over night and now to find out the dealer over tightened my wheels.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
I had my local Volvo dealer do my brakes on Aug 31st and they have been squealing like pigs ever since, So i finally took it back in earlier this week to have the squealing addressed. The dealer realizes they can't remove my front wheels because the locking lugs nuts have been over torqued. They are attempting to drill them out but said they may have to take a torch to the wheels to lug nuts which will damage the wheels.

For now I am in a 2013 Volvo S60 T5 loaner at the dealers cost. I am impressed by how well it soaks up rough roads while maintaining grip in comparison to my R.

I have had the worst luck lately between the independent I tried out to replace my alternator which ended up keeping my car over night and now to find out the dealer over tightened my wheels.
are they going to fix the feels then?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If they torch the wheels they better buy me replacement ones. They are still working on drilling the lug nut outs for now - we will cross that bridge when we get there.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Really? I'd be like um how about some compensation for time wasted.. Remember if you miss a payment or are late you have to pay them for it..

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My car has been at NorthPoint Volvo since 11/23/2012 with them attempting to drill out/torch the overtightened lug nuts. I spoke to my service adviser today and he said they are ordering 2 new wheels at a minimum due to the damage to the wheels removing the lug nuts. They said my car won't be ready until Tuesday of next week at the earliest.

Regarding the T5 loaner besides being impressed by the suspensions ability to soak up very rough roads while seemingly maintaining good traction I am impressed by how smooth running the T5 engine is. I am disappointed the 8-Bit looking graphics in the driver's gauge display area.

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Four new wheels to match would be nice. Push for the new hubs, lugs, and anything relating to whatever they are drilling torching and hammering....

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Four new wheels to match would be nice. Push for the new hubs, lugs, and anything relating to whatever they are drilling torching and hammering....
oh, if they cant get the wheels off, you think they can get the bolts out of the hub? LOL.

New hubs are a guarantee. I'd make sure they OEM HUBS, I'd also make sure they take the wheels off and reinstall it in front of you. Make sure you get a alignment out of them too if they changed the hubs out. They way there is NO DISCREPENCY that the same thing will happen again.

Piece of mind, plus the dealer is a piece of crap for putting you thru this crap!!

·
Registered
691 Posts
If I was you I would really take this serious as they can really mess up some sheeet in their.. I would car volvo corporate up and get them involved and have the district rep check it out... I woulda have everything replaced that is connected to those wheels.. You have no idea on how long they have to torch to get those wheels off.. For all you know everything behind the wheel can be messed up.. I always think the worse case sceranrio and so should you in this case..

When a metal is heated up to the point of expansion or this cause to cut it, it is never as strong as it was originally designed to be unless the proper steps are taken especially when it comes to cooling the metal down..

Screw the dealer and don't trust them for shiiaaatttt!

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input guys - I would go by there Monday and put some pressure on them but I have to report to Jury Duty, If I get out early enough I will go up there and bring the issue up about the hubs. Plus I want to see what state my car is currently in.

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
If I was you I would really take this serious as they can really mess up some sheeet in their.. I would car volvo corporate up and get them involved and have the district rep check it out... I woulda have everything replaced that is connected to those wheels.. You have no idea on how long they have to torch to get those wheels off.. For all you know everything behind the wheel can be messed up.. I always think the worse case sceranrio and so should you in this case..

When a metal is heated up to the point of expansion or this cause to cut it, it is never as strong as it was originally designed to be unless the proper steps are taken especially when it comes to cooling the metal down..

Screw the dealer and don't trust them for shiiaaatttt!
True true! A lot of parts may be ruined and damaged.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got out of Jury Duty early and I went by Northpoint Volvo 2X today and talked to the service manager and later the service manager and G.M. - they swear only the locking lug nuts are overtightened and there is no damage to the hubs. However initially they seemed to not to want to take responsibility for the rear wheels being overtightened. I had taken the the car to Firestone (Aug 28th) 3 days prior to taking it to NP Volvo to have Firestone balance the tires. NP Volvo's technician swears he never took the rear wheels off despite them doing a brake inspection without me asking them too, and selling me a front brake job which I had them do and me requesting them to inspect the car for the source of the whirring noise which is the same reason I had Firestone balance the tires 3 days prior. I had NP Volvo change the Haldex and rear axle fluid at the same appointment too. The strange noise turned out to be the tires being "out of round" as I was running them at a high PSI purposely, I reduced the PSI and the noise went away on its own. I told NP Volvo it is too much of a coincidence for them to have only overtightened the front wheels and NOT the rears. The NP Volvo service manager stated they have a breaker bar coming in from NAPA upon my second visit to NP Volvo today (and after a phone call from Firestone's manager whom they were trying to blame the rears on) so they can remove the rear wheels without having to torch ,drill but that they will remove them and replace the locking lug nuts. NP Volvo has installed 2 new front wheels as they promised. I should receive an update tomorrow from the dealer and there is a possibility they may have the car ready by the E.O.D. tomorrow.

I have a very well trusted friend that owns an independent automotive repair shop in Daphne, Alabama - next time I am at his shop (while on vacation over the Holidays, so very soon) I plan on having them inspect the hubs and related hardware and if they notice any issues I will definitely address that will Volvo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts