SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

2013 S60 T5 FWD .4 Seconds Quicker, T5 AWD as fuel efficient as FWD

15K views 74 replies 28 participants last post by  PureDrive07 
#1 ·
#3 ·
#6 ·
"as fuel efficient as the 2012 FWD"

I wonder how much more fuel efficient the 2013 FWD will be?
1 mpg better, in the COMBINED cycle rating (CITY/HWY)

I wonder if it will require 91 octane now?
No. 87 is still the required octane rating.

#9 ·
Unlikely since the T6 puts out that much. AWD should contribute to a faster time as well. You should be able to get off the line faster and get up to speed because of the added grip and reduced FWD torque steer at launch

#16 ·
Is this the 2.0 4pot... or 2.5 5 pot ?

#17 ·
Its the 5 POT

The Volvo release states a 16 percent torque boost; on the base of 266 that imples 308 (over the current 295) for the available 10 second squirt. A nice bump for sure, but does not seem to be enough to be the sole reason for the quicker zero to sixty times....gearing must be improving as well?

#19 ·
The Volvo release states a 16 percent torque boost; on the base of 266 that imples 308 (over the current 295) for the available 10 second squirt. A nice bump for sure, but does not seem to be enough to be the sole reason for the quicker zero to sixty times....gearing must be improving as well?
I read it as 16% more turbo boost.

#34 ·
It almost seems like the information in the links conflicts with...

Instant Traction feature ensures all four wheels are engaged to ensure superior traction at vehicle launch
Under ideal surface conditions, the Haldex AWD sytstem defaults to a 95% front / 5% rear torque distribution which contributes to improved fuel efficiency

#50 ·
Low take rate. Just like the Dynamic package for XC60 T6s. No one's coming in asking for them, so as a part of the new protocols for reducing complexity of dealer orders, they eliminated it.

#44 ·
Misinformed may be a better word that idiot. Though they may be both!

#46 · (Edited)
Shouldn't make a difference. If they are showing up at dealerships, they are being shipped and could turn up anywhere if the dealership puts in orders for them. Telling you 2013's won't be available until later this year is also a very typical tactic in trying to get rid of 2012 models before 2013's show up. The salespersons could even have been told this by their manager. There's a reason car manufacturers don't announce release dates for new model years. That said, the S60 T5 AWD WAS announced for Summer 2012 availability and is showing up now. The 2013 T6's and T5 FWD's may not show up until later this year, there's no telling. Volvo will probably start shipping 2013's when they run out of 2012's since we know the factory has already made the switch.

#53 ·
I was at the dealer in West Palm Beach for a service last Friday and they were rolling the '13's off the truck. got to see the new gear shift mechanism, looks more like a manual type I think it's a nice improvement over the 2012 - maybe they'll make it available for a mod

#64 ·
Personally, I can't stand the stop/start "technology" that's in the BMW. My wife and I recently test drove a 2013 X3 with the 2.0 and were not impressed with it. Yes, you can shut it off........but there's no way to permanently override it so that you can avoid doing this every time. I was amused that the salesman kept spewing "ultimate driving machine" for an SUV but that's typical salesman shtick. I asked him how a turbo engine is supposed to last when the oil/coolant circulation is constantly turning on/off in traffic......and he was even more clueless. In short, no thanks.

#66 ·
He owns my 2007 Sonic Blue S60R when I traded it in for the new S60RD.

What do you mean by they fixed the PCC? I have the PCC option on my 2012 S60RD and I never have to put it in the slot to start the car.

#73 ·
BMW uses a water cooling system that continues to run after the engine shuts off, and the coolant line runs right through the turbo. If you're driving normally, this will be more than enough. If you're driving enthusiastically, Start/Stop can be shut off relatively easily and letting things cool before you turn off the engine might not be a bad idea, but BMW's don't generally last that long anyway. The thing will cost more to fix than it's worth long before you kill the turbo in most cases. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.