SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! New here, but I have a 2016 V60 and 2013 S60 which is my daughter’s car. We bought it used with 68k miles. It’s been a quirky car since we got it- I’m used to Volvos because mine is quirky sometimes too- but lately the electrical system seems to have a demon possessing it. The theft alarm goes off without any prompt- horn honking and lights flashing when it’s just sitting locked in the driveway. My daughter has had the system immobilizer warning light come on when she tries to start it- and the car won’t start. I found in another forum she can bypass that by locking and unlocking the doors a few times but it seems to go away on its own. Today she unlocked the car, the alarm went off, and when she got the honking and flashing to stop and started the car, there was a warning that said her brakes failed and she should stop safely (and I’m assuming an ABS light was on too). She pulled out of the parking lot and said her car was running choppy (maybe that was her brakes) but then it ran fine. She’s 16 so this is scary for her- and perplexing for me. I’m having my hubby check the battery charge, connections and fuses tonight but what else could be causing these weird and quirky things? Is this an ABS module failure- I can’t imagine why the alarm would do that weird stuff along with it. Any help is appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
859 Posts
Hi! New here, but I have a 2016 V60 and 2013 S60 which is my daughter’s car. We bought it used with 68k miles. It’s been a quirky car since we got it- I’m used to Volvos because mine is quirky sometimes too- but lately the electrical system seems to have a demon possessing it. The theft alarm goes off without any prompt- horn honking and lights flashing when it’s just sitting locked in the driveway. My daughter has had the system immobilizer warning light come on when she tries to start it- and the car won’t start. I found in another forum she can bypass that by locking and unlocking the doors a few times but it seems to go away on its own. Today she unlocked the car, the alarm went off, and when she got the honking and flashing to stop and started the car, there was a warning that said her brakes failed and she should stop safely (and I’m assuming an ABS light was on too). She pulled out of the parking lot and said her car was running choppy (maybe that was her brakes) but then it ran fine. She’s 16 so this is scary for her- and perplexing for me. I’m having my hubby check the battery charge, connections and fuses tonight but what else could be causing these weird and quirky things? Is this an ABS module failure- I can’t imagine why the alarm would do that weird stuff along with it. Any help is appreciated!!!!
A friend of ours bought a used xc90 (don't know the year or mileage) with a "LOT" of electrical problems.
I pulled the door panel and found the high water line on the inside of the door. just sayin. I have always found Volvo's electrical system rock solid since 1971.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Check the connections at the battery, positive and ground for corrosion. Also check
the batteries voltage. Low voltage and/or corroded terminals could cause this "ghost in the machine"
type symptom.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check the connections at the battery, positive and ground for corrosion. Also check
the batteries voltage. Low voltage and/or corroded terminals could cause this "ghost in the machine"
type symptom.
I think you are the winner!!!! Hubby noticed one of the battery terminals was really corroded so he cleaned and replaced it and the problem hasn’t happened again. Let’s hope that’s the trick. It’s been scary for our daughter to have her car act so bizarre. 🙂 Thank you!

·
Registered
296 Posts
I think you are the winner!!!! Hubby noticed one of the battery terminals was really corroded so he cleaned and replaced it and the problem hasn’t happened again. Let’s hope that’s the trick. It’s been scary for our daughter to have her car act so bizarre. 🙂 Thank you!
No problem.:thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts