SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am moving from the US to Europe and I am debating whether to bring my 2013 S60 FWD T5 with me. Various people have advised against this because of the hassle of registering the car and the importing and registration taxes, like emissions tax, etc. Issues around maintenance are also of a concern -- for example, would a Volvo European mechanics be familiar with the US model and whether the parts to maintain are readily available at reasonable cost.

It seems the most important questions is whether the US model is same as the European model. If so, then I wouldn't have to worry about retrofitting to meet the emissions standards and also I wouldn't have to worry about maintenance costs. I googled in search of answers but can't find enough info. It seems both models were built in Ghent, Belgium, so maybe they are the same.

Does anyone know if the 2013 S60 FWD T5 model sold in the US is same as the European model? What other concerns would you have in importing a US car into Europe?

Thanks in advance.

Tuga

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Tuga, I purchased my US spec here in Europe (through US channels), and the only difference besides option pages (like D5, RD, etc) are the fact that European models have clear front turn signals and US have orange. That seems to be the only cosmetic difference, and US emissions exceed European standards so you are good there. I get mine worked on at the Volvo dealer here and I have zero issues, other than language barrier.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
The EU T5 is a 4 cylinder Ford engine or now the new 4 cylinder Volvo engine.
The US version is a 5 cylinder but is basically the same as the 5 cylinder engine offered in the EU V40T5.
Servicing the car shouldn't be a problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts