SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what would be involved in an upgrade from 2012 to 2013 front brakes yet?

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
The calipers and rotors are different up front, but the pads are the same. The cost is upwards around $800 just to do the fronts.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I just found out about the brake upgrade for '13 and I'm super mad! The car has barely been out a year and they are already changing things...I don't know if I'm being unreasonable, but does anyone else feel this way?

As far as the $800...how accurate do you think it will be in the end and is that assuming a Volvo dealer will install it? And has anyone driven one of the '13s yet to see if it's worth even trying to upgrade or is it not that big of a difference? It's no surprise that Volvo would want to upgrade the brakes since it was easily the most criticized aspect of the RD, but I didn't think it would be so soon :-(

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I just found out about the brake upgrade for '13 and I'm super mad! The car has barely been out a year and they are already changing things...I don't know if I'm being unreasonable, but does anyone else feel this way?

As far as the $800...how accurate do you think it will be in the end and is that assuming a Volvo dealer will install it? And has anyone driven one of the '13s yet to see if it's worth even trying to upgrade or is it not that big of a difference? It's no surprise that Volvo would want to upgrade the brakes since it was easily the most criticized aspect of the RD, but I didn't think it would be so soon :-(
It would be bad for Volvo if they DIDNT upgrade things every model year. The entry level sport sedan segment is about as competetive as it gets, you cant let your products grow stale. Every luxury/premium brand does the same thing. A big part of it is listening to what the customer wants, something that isnt very easy to do in the product plan stage, as demands shift and development time is relatively long.

·
Registered
459 Posts

It's no surprise that Volvo would want to upgrade the brakes since it was easily the most criticized aspect of the RD, but I didn't think it would be so soon :-(
They should have upgraded the brakes, given the bad press while tracking the car. Why are you mad about improvements in the new model year? Every manufacturer addresses criticism of their cars with a continual series of upgrades over time. I'm impressed that Volvo reacted so quickly in upgrading the brakes. Personally, I wouldn't spend any money upgrading the 2012 brakes since I have yet to encounter any driving scenario where they didn't perform well. If I tracked my car, that would have been my first upgrade; but I don't and see no need to do anything given the acceptable performance of the current system.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts

Yes, yes you are overreacting to an UPGRADE. That is, one should not be angry about an automaker continuously making their cars better, especially IF you are a fan of said brand. In any case, I doubt it'll be very expensive seeing as disk brakes are super easy to take off.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think my being "mad" is being misunderstood. I am not mad that Volvo did this upgrade...I'm actually happy that they did. I am mad that the RD has been out such a short time and the brakes are already being improved. Being that the RD is the performance/sport trim of the S60 line-up, you would have expected the brakes to have received some extra attention from the start when it was first released. It's great that they fixed this oversight now...but the people that bought the '12 RD (like myself and several of other people posting here) kinda got screwed.

Yes, the brakes are not "bad" on the car, but they can definitely be better. I just leased a '12 C30 for my wife, and that car has much better brake feel than my S60 RD ever did...and her C30 is just the BASE model!!!

So yes, it's great that Volvo is still stepping it up and improving everything...but my beef is that it didn't take very long to make a pretty important improvement, so it's likely that the upgrade could have been put in with the debut last year...

·
Registered
301 Posts
sucks. i was kinda thinking there was a new caliper bracket like on the s70's. oh well,my brakes are fine-for now.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The calipers and rotors are different up front, but the pads are the same. The cost is upwards around $800 just to do the fronts.
New calipers but same pads? I'll have to see what improvement in performance there is. I had to make an emergency stop from 30 a few days ago and the pedal went to the floor. The car stopped in time but the feel was horrible and the fact that the pedal was to the floor meant that there was no reserve capacity which makes me nervous.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Johnny - Just curious. Did you complain about your brakes before you found out about the new RD brakes?
I actually have always thought the brakes felt a bit soft...not bad, but soft. It was even more noticeable after driving the C30.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Yes, the brakes are not "bad" on the car, but they can definitely be better. I just leased a '12 C30 for my wife, and that car has much better brake feel than my S60 RD ever did...and her C30 is just the BASE model!!!
Perhaps due to a better F/R weight balance on the C30? The S60 is 62/38.......but not sure of the C30.

And to the other posters, different calipers, bigger rotors, and yet the same size pads? Something doesn't sound right.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Perhaps due to a better F/R weight balance on the C30? The S60 is 62/38.......but not sure of the C30.

And to the other posters, different calipers, bigger rotors, and yet the same size pads? Something doesn't sound right.
My cousin works in the Part Department at a Volvo dealer and he looked up all the P/N and that's what he found out.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts

Technically, the C30 is worse. 64/36 F/R But it still is one of the few FWDs that suffers from no understeer or torque steer. I think it's just because the C30 has a bigger brake-to-weight ratio than the S60. But it's a good thing they took the XC90's front disks because those are known to stop a 5000 pound SUV with hardly any fade after multiple 60-0 mph stops. So that will work wonders for a car weighing around 3800 pounds like the S60 R-Design.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Anyone considering brake upgrades should look at StopTechs support page that has a good
general discussion. Most importantly is larger brakes won't stop a car faster (from one stop) and
changing the pad size does not change the amount of braking torque applied to the wheel:

1) The brakes don't stop the vehicle - the tires do. The brakes slow the rotation of the wheels and tires. This means that braking distance measured on a single stop from a highway legal speed or higher is almost totally dependent upon the stopping ability of the tires in use...

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/brake-system-and-upgrade-selection

Larger brakes shed heat better so the brakes will continue to work under track conditions. Larger rotors
and pads also wear better (last longer). Those are the main advantages. The above link covers
that and more. It's a good read and has a lot to consider (note they sell big brake kits).

Also, I see Motor Trend reported a 60-o stopping distance of 110 feet for their test T6 equipped with the summer
tires. That's pretty good performance. http://blogs.motortrend.com/swede-surprise-the-best-volvo-ever-makes-a-lasting-impression-22019.html

My personal complaint is it has always felt like the brake pedal flexes when I apply the brakes
hard (especially as the pedal starts to firm up and then goes "flexy"). So it feels spongy to me, too.
But I have never had an issue with the actual stopping performance -- just the feel is off under
hard braking.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
My cousin works in the Part Department at a Volvo dealer and he looked up all the P/N and that's what he found out.
Even so, the purpose of larger discs is to provide more surface area for the pads to grip. If the pads are the same as the smaller rotors, the extra disc surface is wasted.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Even so, the purpose of larger discs is to provide more surface area for the pads to grip. If the pads are the same as the smaller rotors, the extra disc surface is wasted.
I don't know what to tell you, the P/N for the front pads are the same as the 2012MY; maybe something isn't correct in the computer.

·
Registered
459 Posts
As I've said before, I have a tough local driving environment ... lots of steep grades, some gravel roads, and harsh winters. Yes, the feel of the brake pedal is a bit softer than I like, but I have never experienced any brake fade or unusually long stopping distances with this car. They work well in bitter cold, when covered in ice and slush, when driven in extreme heat, during hard stops, and coming down long 8% grades. I have never experienced brake fade, even under panic braking situations from speeds over 60 mph. (As in braking for moose, bear, deer... and the occasional skunk.)

Other than the criticism received from the car press during the initial roll out at Thunder Hill race track, who has really had any issues with braking? Yes, they can feel soft, but I've never heard of any real world, non-track situation, where the brakes have not been up to the task of stopping the car quickly and with no drama. If you track your car, you should be looking for competition level brakes to replace the OEM ones. Other than that, what is the problem here?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts