SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In case all you wagon lovers are interested, the first Allroads are hitting dealers. There is still is no configurater on Audis website, but a well equipped base model comes with leather, infotainment system, sunroof, and Quatro frm what I can tell online....which runs a hefty 40k...the next step up, premium plus is around 43K which adds heated seats, Bluetooth, home link, xenons, power tailgate . All have the 2.0 T which will get 20/27.

I saw one at the Denver auto show. I absolutely love the look and the interior is amazing...I much prefer it to a q5.If money and reliability were no object one might be in my driveway as I am smitten with the slightly high riding wagon concept...which apparently most manufacturers have abandoned. I love XC70s as well but alas the c30 is my only option financially for now...having said that....at low 40s price point well equipped, and with good mileage...these are apt to give the xc70 a run for its money. A similarly equipped xc70 gets right in that low 40s territory as well....and that doesn't give you xenons or a power tailgate, and way worse mileage.

Apparently they are set for "limited" production run of 7000 units for 2013 MY is probably going to be a 18 month period...in perspective, Volvo is on target to to move about 4000-5000 by year end 2012. So I guess Audi is expecting to move about as many Allroads as Volvo does xc70s.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
I am smitten with the slightly high riding wagon concept...which apparently most manufacturers have abandoned.
Hasn't it always been Audi, Subaru, and Volvo in that game?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah current Outback is too high and drives too big. The current outback sport more what I have in mind, and it is what the XC40 looks to be. In fact if outback sports weren't so cheap looking and feeling I wouldn't mind one. Xc70 is probably sportier driving than current outbacks, but I think it will ride higher and "bigger" thn the 2013 Allroad. I think the last gen Subaru outback was a sweet spot riding and driving wise for a rugged wagon, but interior wise just werent great.

·
Registered
159 Posts
it is too bad the wagons are going "high riding". I like my wagons to be low for stealth performance driving. There are always the SUV for people who want high. Now the low wagon is a dying breed. Love the height of my VR. :(

·
Registered
930 Posts
We came pretty close last month to buying a CPO A4 Avant, so I do appreciate that the Audi is a very nice car. The Allroad seems very nice, but prices are much higher than similarly equipped XC70. The XC70 offers much more car for the money, but this isn't a good thing for everyone. If you're looking for the best driving AWD wagon under $60K (sorry, E Class), it's hard to beat the Audi. But if you need a little more utility, such as a rear seat suitable for adults, the Volvo has it at a much lower price point.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ive seen them in person now ince this was posted and I love the look and layout. It's a perfect size, not as high as an xc70. I do think it would feel more like car experience vs an SUV experience compared to xc70. I actually don't think their prices are bad on te new ones. They start at 39 but most common packages push it 43...it can go much higher with nav and stuff nobody need. A loaded xc70 hits around 43 so I think its comparable att the 43k point where they are similarly equipped. The xc70 looses big in the mileage and engine dept though. Allroad gets 20/27 but only weights a couple hundred pounds less. Xc70 last I check was 18/24

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
How does the XC70 lose in the engine department? 3.0L 300 HP vs 2.0L and 240 HP (?)

I know I am biased to a certain extent but if someone wants a wagon, AWD and a great engine, the XC70 T6 cannot be beaten by any car out there.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Grecian...I should have stated loses in the MPG department. You are right that the t6 is a peach and a great engine if you want that kind of power. And I would have an xc70 long before ever getting an allroad. I think they are pretty but I dont trust audi's. Having said that, Volvo needs to get a better BASE engine than the 3.2. 18/24 is bad these days, although not horribly low compared to xc70's crossover cohorts that have v6's, or similar hp.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Grecian...I should have stated loses in the MPG department. You are right that the t6 is a peach and a great engine if you want that kind of power. And I would have an xc70 long before ever getting an allroad. I think they are pretty but I dont trust audi's. Having said that, Volvo needs to get a better BASE engine than the 3.2. 18/24 is bad these days, although not horribly low compared to xc70's crossover cohorts that have v6's, or similar hp.
You have to look beyond window stickers and dissect the numbers.

The XC70 3.2 AWD w/ 240 hp get a combined 20 mpg (18 City/24 HWY). At an average of $3.90/gallon for regular gas, it will cost one $1,950 in fuel expenses per year for 10,000 miles or $2,340 for 12,000 miles.

The new Allroad w/ 211 hp, has a combined 23 mpg. Given the same parameters as above (and not factoring in that Audi wants its owners to use premium fuel), Audi costs $1,695 and $2,034, per year, respectively.

The difference is just a couple of hundred per year, a difference that is sort of negligible and easily covered by the fact that the XC70 has a longer warranty and Safe+Secure.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't dispute that the numbers on the window sticker are not everything. For most folks that can afford a Luxury crossover it is negligible. But some of those people, myself included, wouldn't mind having better fuel economy for the principal of it. I understand the dollars and cents though....I already did that math when I was pricing a c30 against a ct200h...I got a much more fun car, for less money and a better warrenty, that is also more practical for a snowy mountain state like I live in (CTs suck in snow or so I've read). In the end it pains me when realize I get the get gas mileage of 4000 lb SUV with a v6, in a 2 door hatchback, yet I love driving my car and know that $ for $ I came out on top. This kind math is always fuzzy and in the end for some people it's a value judgement that takes into account much more that window stickers(some will be glad to pay more and burn less fuel)...but I agree that on paper the xc70 is a better long term deal looking only at the dollar signs..

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Wonder if the sticker facts and figures or even the manufacturer's spec sheets are the only guide to go by. If mpg is the one and all, then those with lowest mpg will always win but a car is more than that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts