SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When do you guys think the 2013 will be announced? I know they won't be available till probably september but just wanted to get a sense of when I can possibly order one up.

And I saw mention that someone believes the redesign of the xc60 is like a year or so away. Does anyone have any opinions on that?

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
ONe might expect some of the changes from the V40 to transfer quickly into XC60,
assuming the "core" is the same, so new bliss, and the rest of the tech. stuff?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I'd be surprised at a significant overall re-design for '13/14; however, there were certainly a few 'do-overs' after the 2010 models were only a year old..mainly technology stuff and additional configs(we 'only' had T6 AWD initially). We would be interested in the transition from MY 2013 to 2014 in late summer '13 since we hope to make an OSD trip around then(celebrating a big 'zero' birthday in August '13 ).

Have we heard of the availability of the 2013 XC60? I'm hoping for a summer transition that might suggest the 2014 model would be available around the same time next year. I know it's a YMMV and all that, but I'd be disappointed to get the last of the 2013 config if there will be a significant change for 2014.

Of course, not all changes are for the better. For example, I much preferred the 6-speed auto in our '08 C70 compared to the replacement five-speed in our '11.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The xc90 is incredibly long in the tooth. Why redesign a 3 year old model? A tech refresh (a la 2011) is the best case scenario.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tech refresh would be nice in the 2013. It would also be nice to have some of the new v40 stuff bleed over into the xc60 but that may not show up till the 2014 timeframe.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It would be awesome if Volvo brings the new bliss, higher speed city safety and the cross traffic system to the 2013 XC60.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Buying a new car later this year, the XC60 is one I'm strongly considering. I too would love to see some of the new V40 stuff in the 2013 XC60 (like the active high beams) and, in addition, an optional rear seat-mounted torso airbag in addition to the standard ones for the front row. Audi and Mercedes offer this as an option and it'd be great if Volvo started doing so as well.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
The xc90 is incredibly long in the tooth. Why redesign a 3 year old model? A tech refresh (a la 2011) is the best case scenario.
The plan, going forward, is refresh every 3.5 to 4 years, and a replacement every 7 years. What took place with the XC90 and the previous S60 is just not right.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Slightly off point of the original post, but on the topic of continued improvements: while waiting for a car wash at my dealer last Friday, was playing around with a new 2012 XC60 in the showroom and noticed the automatic rear hatch is about twice as fast as my 2011.5 and much quieter. Only a minor nit with my 2011.5, but good to see that improve with the current model year and get back on par with the competition.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Slightly off point of the original post, but on the topic of continued improvements: while waiting for a car wash at my dealer last Friday, was playing around with a new 2012 XC60 in the showroom and noticed the automatic rear hatch is about twice as fast as my 2011.5 and much quieter. Only a minor nit with my 2011.5, but good to see that improve with the current model year and get back on par with the competition.
Our '10 hatch is painfully slow. Not sure if yours is the same one; but I agree that the newer lift is much improved. Now, if they would just add a'remote close' function.
By the bye, do the newer XC60s have the 'windows down' feature built into the key fob(really enjoy that in our last two C70s)?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Our '10 hatch is painfully slow. Not sure if yours is the same one; but I agree that the newer lift is much improved. Now, if they would just add an 'remote close' function.
By the bye, do the newer XC60s have the 'windows down' feature built into the key fob(really enjoy that in our last two C70s)?
No fob windows down feature on my '12 and I'm annoyed by that omission...had it on my '06 Acura and loved being able to blow that initial blast of hot air out of the cabin on hot summer days parked outside.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
No fob windows down feature on my '12 and I'm annoyed by that omission...had it on my '06 Acura and loved being able to blow that initial blast of hot air out of the cabin on hot summer days parked outside.
Yes...we should start a petition. Our Lexus RX had the remote window down function--even opened the sunroof if desired--great after returning from a bike ride, especially when the vehicle was parked in the sun. I can't figure why Volvo includes it on the C70 but not other models. Even taking into consideration Volvo's penchant for safety, I don't see a problem with having this on all models.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The windows down on the fob wouldve a welcomed addition for me. Always been there on my previous vehicles and would be great to have it here as well.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Our '10 hatch is painfully slow. Not sure if yours is the same one; but I agree that the newer lift is much improved. Now, if they would just add a'remote close' function.
I thought the the rear hatch did close with the a buttonon the fob. We get ours April 10 OSD. Getting close!!:D

·
Registered
442 Posts
I thought the the rear hatch did close with the a buttonon the fob. We get ours April 10 OSD. Getting close!!:D
No, fob only opens the rear hatch. I seem to recall reading in one of the manuals that auto-close via the button on the hatch is only available physically at that location due to the safety concern of someone/something being an obstruction.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
No, fob only opens the rear hatch. I seem to recall reading in one of the manuals that auto-close via the button on the hatch is only available physically at that location due to the safety concern of someone/something being an obstruction.
It's a little hard to believe they are 'stuck' on that 'safety' feature. Along with the 'windows down with key fob' opportunity, Volvo could join the other manufacturers in offering something the customer really wants!. I've not read any horror stories of a Lexus hatch squooshing someone when closed remotely nor have I figured out the danger of the 'windows down' feature. Silly Volvo :) . Heck, I can't stand next to my C70 top going up or down and keep it from snagging an unsuspecting passerby...only the console toggle operates it. (Yet, I can drop the windows remotely.)

Speaking of the hatch, the RX also allows for manual operation of the hatch...overriding the power function at the touch of a hand. I'd enjoy that as well. Standing in the rain waiting for that XC hatch to open/close is silly.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The plan, going forward, is refresh every 3.5 to 4 years, and a replacement every 7 years. What took place with the XC90 and the previous S60 is just not right.
S60 at least aged like a fine wine. That xc90 has this cheap, snub nosed look to it (sorry if I offend any owners / fanboys). Throwing LEDs in the taillights was all they did. It didn't even get Sensus. I like the plan though. Hopefully it will be followed!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am planning on ordering the 2013 later this spring and am crossing my fingers that they change the moon roof shade. I'd love something opaque and sturdy (like they used to have) that actually keeps all the sun out when you close it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Do I remember correctly that the automatic opening height can be programmed? I can't seem to find it in the manual. I'm asking because at the car show last weekend my neighbor, who is quite short, could not reach the tailgate when it opened. How would she ever get it closed if the remote or the button the dash won't close it?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Do I remember correctly that the automatic opening height can be programmed? I can't seem to find it in the manual. I'm asking because at the car show last weekend my neighbor, who is quite short, could not reach the tailgate when it opened. How would she ever get it closed if the remote or the button the dash won't close it?
I don't believe the lift gate is programmable on our '10. However, for a one-off situation, the height-challenged can just hit the button as the gate reaches 'high enough'. Gate will then stop and, upon another button push, close. You brought to mind a funny sight...a couple of the 'detailers' at the car wash have to jump and take a shot at the button on our XC. Sometimes I can get to them first and show the 'stop short' trick. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts