SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2013 XC-60 T6 with the 300hp inline 6 with 101k miles. The car has only been serviced at our Volvo dealership. The car has been outstandingly reliable. The only unscheduled trip that we had to the dealer was at 87k when the low oil light illuminated (3k before we were due in). As soon as the light came on I immediately pulled off the highway (happened to be a a local Walmart off the exit), discovered we were a quart low, dropped in a quart, (light turned off).

I brought the car in a few days later and the dealer installed a new valve cover set and re calibrated the sensor. I have not had an issue sine then but I have also started changing the oil at 6-7k intervals now that it's getting to be higher mileage.

I have a buddy who loves to be a pessimist and is convinced as soon as the car starts to eat oil and you get a warning light like we had then your engine is basically headed for the scrap yard sooner rather than later.

I don't want to get rid of this car, I love it and it's been really good to us. So my question to the forum is; Do you think the car toast? And now that we have 101k on it what can we be doing outside of the factory recommended maintenance (preventative measures) to keep the car going for longer. Does anyone have any higher mileage with their T6? What was your experience with higher mileage, what parts did you replace?

-Kyle

·
Registered
596 Posts
I’ve only had my T6 for about a year, so I’m still learning too. Will try to help though :).

Mine (also a 2013, had ~73k at the time) did something similar, light came on around 8-9k. My impression is, it’s fairly normal. 10k is a pretty long interval, and the sensor is purposely pretty sensitive. If it’s only down a quart in 7k miles, most any manufacturer would consider that normal consumption.

The T6 is a fantastic engine, smooth and powerful. I don’t think yours is toast by any means, sounds pretty normal to me. I’ve been considering shorter intervals with mine, used to do 5k changes with my S70 (even with synthetic). Maybe do that if you’re worried, but honestly, I wouldn’t worry too much.

Hope this helps,

Joe

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
If the dealer identified the leak due to a faulty valve cover then you should be OK. I would monitor it to see the oil level doesn't drop after every 2K miles. If it doesn't that problem is resolved. We love our XC60 but I don't follow the recommended 10K mile oil-change. I still do it myself every 5K since oil is pretty cheap when you take advantage of the rebates Mobil1, Pennzoil, etc offer.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Toast at 101k? LOL I bought my 2012 T6 with that mileage, then started driving for Uber with it. I now have 186k. I change my oil myself or I go to my local dealer when they're running $59 specials and I do it every 7500 miles and use full synthetic castrol magnatec with a wix filter. Here is a list of repairs:

Collapsed motor mount & torque rod. $450 at indy @ 155k

PCV oil trap vent box. Also $450 at indy and 155k and oddly, ever since this repair, the car has used oil when it never did before.

Both front CV axles. Indy wanted $1800+, citing aftermarket axles cause vibrations. DO NOT BELIEVE THIS. Axles are made of machined steel. If it's machined correctly, it will not vibrate. I bought both online, aftermarket from RockAuto for $180 total and my friend (a tech) installed them and a couple interior pieces for $500.

Fuel rail pressure sensor 185k $36 online

Front left hub assembly 185k $108 online + 160 labor to a local NTB.

Rear brakes 101k FREE! - the aforementioned indy did my pre purchase inspection and missed the rear brakes being nearly metal to metal. At least they were honest and owned their mistake. Likely to get 100k out of this set of brakes.

Front brakes 117k $400 my best friend again. He installed slotted/drilled rotors and akebono pads. Still at 80% after 70k miles. This should be the last set of brakes this car will ever need. Remember that I drive for Uber. XC60s aren't "hard" on brakes unless you are.

Both new headlights 172,500. They're the active bending HIDs. $110 each. I forget the labor. Ouch.

Just did all 6 plugs and coils with my friend last weekend. $43 each for the coils and $7.50 each for the plugs. I think he charged me $110 labor. A fraction of the dealer.

My windshield leaks. If yours doesn't, it will. They all will eventually. Out of pure principle, I refuse to pay $155 for a re seal because it shouldn't happen. I have a garage and keep a towel in my passenger seat for car washes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts