SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have owned this vehicle for about a month and noticed that it hard shifts, not regulary though, into 1st gear from a dead stop. However after 2 weeks of cool weather & rain, I noticed today's warms weather did not illicit a hard shift at all. Any explanation for this?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I’m not sure your post is worded clearly. From a dead stop it should already be in 1st gear, so I believe you mean it shifts hard into 2nd, assuming you are talking about accelerating normally and then shifting harshly at the first upshift (into 2nd gear)? Some people have complained about this issue. Others complain about the transmission downshifting really harshly into 1st when they are coming to a stop. There have been various transmission software updates that address one issue or the other, but unfortunately they tend to either make the 1-2 shift smoother but then the 2-1 downshift sometimes gets more harsh, or the other way around. It’s possible some software update will help you but a lot of people report ongoing issues with the way their transmission feels.

Also: If your transmission has a lot of miles on it, it might actually be a good idea to drain the transmission and have it refilled (not flushed under pressure, however) following the VIDA specified protocol. Fresh fluid using the exact correct amount can greatly improve the way your transmission performs and feels. Hopefully it’s not an actual transmission problem but something that software or a basic fluid service can improve.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Interestingly, the dealership said it is operating normally and did not recommend new transmission fluid.
My take on their two points:
1. Classic answer when something doesn’t feel right but they don’t want to dig deeper because they don’t have a fix for it or don’t want to spend the time doing something complicated that they might not be able to figure out, or maybe they don’t want to attend to an expensive issue under warranty.
2. It’s “lifetime fluid” so they rarely agree to change it unless you really insist upon it or simply take it to an independent Volvo mechanic who will do it following the Vida procedure. Numerous people, myself included, have found the fluid to be dirty and have experienced much better driving characteristics after a drain/ refill.

Out of curiosity, how many miles are on your car?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I current have 85,000 miles. Thanks for the input as I originally wanted to drain/refill for better performance but wasn't sure whether to get it done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The original post might mean harsh into 1st. My P2 disengaged D when fully stopped and had to have the programming changed to be normal in gear when stopped. I was disappointed to have the P3 do the same thing. 2012 XC70. Although it’s not 100% of the time. Since I brake with left foot or drive with two feet - I can beat the car to 1st gear. As opposed to 1 foot driving and the lag between letting off the brake and accelerating that allows time to engage 1st.

·
Registered
238 Posts
My 2013 xc70t6 with 150k miles, occasionally shifts hard both up and down to/from 2nd.

The adaptive learning will adjust depending on your driving.

Each time you go in for oil change, insist on software updates.

The trans fluid is robust, but depending on climate and usage determines whether or not a flush is warranted. Wouldn’t hurt, but just make sure it’s a simple drain and refill, and not an actual trans fluid flush service.

·
Registered
421 Posts
In terms of explanation, the solenoid valves that control the shifts need to fire with msec precision for smooth shifts. If a solenoid is starting to lag behind in its response time, you get a hard shift. But, the first step with any Geartronic problem with old fluid is an 8 liter (or 12-liter) fluid exchange. There is a good video
explaining what the 12-liter steps are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAb9p8Wph-M

With the 8-liter, the middle "-drain-fill-run-gearshifts" cycle is omitted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts