SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone who driving the 2012 T6 AWD Wagon has experienced going from using no oil for 5,000miles to a quart every 1000?
I now bring a quart on long drives.
While looking on the web for possible clues I fund this Volvo technical update:
https://www.cars.com/articles/2011-2016-volvo-s60-s80-v60-xc60-xc70-oil-issue-1420682548807/

It is a long weekend so my mechanic will be away until next week.
By the way, the car runs great, the exhaust is clean and no oil on my driveway. Where is it going?

Thanks

·
Registered
457 Posts
The oil system is designed as a closed system. If there is a leak, it's either to outside the engine (which leaves a telltale sludge buildup), into a cylinder (combusted), or into the turbo airstream (both condensed on turbo pipe/intercooler as well as combusted).

Start by pulling off the plastic engine cover and doing an inspection looking for sludge buildup...around oil filler cap, PCV oil trap (long black box that engine cover snaps into). Check around the oil filter housing, and oil dipstick opening.

You should jack up the car front, crawl under and remove the plastic splash panel...is there any oil puddling or sludge on the topside of the panel?

If the visual inspection turns up nothing, the the oil is being combusted. You can inspect the 6 spark plugs looking for fouling of the electrode (a single fouled plug indicates a valve bearing is oozing oil into that cylinder).

If they all look clean, then by process of elimination, you're looking at an oil leak in the turbo.

It takes ideal lighting conditions to see burned oil smoke coming out the tailpipe....in the darkness of night, point a laser at the exhaust exiting the tailpipe.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks
A very thorough list to look at. I will be able to do the first few but will see if my mechanic can get to the others sometime soon and will update this post once I figure it out.
In the meantime, leaving on a trip Wednesday carrying an extra quart of oil just in case.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
The oil system is designed as a closed system. If there is a leak, it's either to outside the engine (which leaves a telltale sludge buildup), into a cylinder (combusted), or into the turbo airstream (both condensed on turbo pipe/intercooler as well as combusted).

Start by pulling off the plastic engine cover and doing an inspection looking for sludge buildup...around oil filler cap, PCV oil trap (long black box that engine cover snaps into). Check around the oil filter housing, and oil dipstick opening.

You should jack up the car front, crawl under and remove the plastic splash panel...is there any oil puddling or sludge on the topside of the panel?

If the visual inspection turns up nothing, the the oil is being combusted. You can inspect the 6 spark plugs looking for fouling of the electrode (a single fouled plug indicates a valve bearing is oozing oil into that cylinder).

If they all look clean, then by process of elimination, you're looking at an oil leak in the turbo.

It takes ideal lighting conditions to see burned oil smoke coming out the tailpipe....in the darkness of night, point a laser at the exhaust exiting the tailpipe.
This is bang on. Popping undercarriage cover off and shining a flashlight around will very likely point to root cause. Should be totally dry down there unless you just had some rustproofing done. 1q per 1000 is a fair amount of oil. You will definitely see some telltale signs somewhere! If not...well I hope you do!

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

1 - 4 of 4 Posts