SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the fence between a 2012 XC60 AWD T6 with 35K miles and leasing a 2016 XC60 T6 AWD.

The 2012 has the tech package (Sensus), climate package and booster seats.

My neighbor is the GM of the Volvo dealership ... so the deal is great on either one and I have the option (which I will take) of CPO on the 2012.

3 questions: How much better are the Sensus components on the 2106? Any other compelling reasons to go 2016 other than the new car smell? Anything to watch out for on the 2012?

Thansk in advance!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi Karma. The tech isn't all that different. We had a 2011 and now a 2015.5. The major difference is the addition of navigation on premiere and higher trims, certain apps that can be used in the car, wifi. The best features in my mind are the built in nav since I hate gps units and the the Volvo On Call which works like On Star in case of an accident. Good piece of mind if you need help. If none of this means anything for you then consider the certified car to save a bit and own versus rent. YMMV

TJ

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I also think BLIS on pre-2013 use cameras instead of radar. The radar is rock solid, I've never seen false neg/pos so far, and I've been keeping my eye on it just about every time I drive.

The camera based BLIS is terrible as I understand it.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Drive them back to back. The 6 speed automatic transmission got some improvements in 2013 and,mI would guess, perhaps had another incremental improvement along the way. In addition, unless the 2012 is an R-Design, the lower molding on the 2012 will be black plastic instead of painted body color- the latter looks much nicer. The backup camera is sharper on the newer model, and the bumpers are different. Sensus itself has a little slicker look in the later models, but just isn't that different from when it was first introduced. The Nav does look a bit nicer and entry of addresses is a bit slicker. Regardless, I would pay WAY more attention to how the cars ride and drive than any of the tech deltas.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Couldn't agree with Cab's points more. The question focused on tech differences but I believe this hits on some important points.

Cab, really refreshing to see someone who talks about importance of the car instead of all the tech. I cringe at all this wifi and other stuff that seems to be the focus with car buyers. Put down the phone and drive the thing:)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Couldn't agree with Cab's points more. The question focused on tech differences but I believe this hits on some important points.

Cab, really refreshing to see someone who talks about importance of the car instead of all the tech. I cringe at all this wifi and other stuff that seems to be the focus with car buyers. Put down the phone and drive the thing:)
+1!!!!!! Well said.

·
Banned
763 Posts

People are easily swayed by marketing. Just look at how most people in the US have traded cheaper, hardier, and much-longer lasting (battery-wise and physically) flip phones for smart phones, despite smart phones still being far less functional than even the most basic laptop and non-smart phone. By the same token, most people are now more interested in turning their cars into giant smart phones instead of focusing on keeping their 2-ton killing machines on the road.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all of the great feedback. Side by side / back to back the 2016 just isn't $20K compelling. Looking like the 2012 is going to be the winner. I like the ride and its MORE than fast/smooth enough (coming from a Platinum S-Crew F-150 4x4...)

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Based on the views above, why are any of you driving Volvos? Why didn't you just get a toyota corolla instead?

btw, the 2016 XC60 has an 8-speed gearbox vs. a 6-speed, it's pretty smooth.

Also, don't know if the 2012 engine is the same as the 2011 which consumed oil. Check out the s60 2011+ forum for the thread about oil consumption with no warning.

·
Registered
84 Posts
You're correct IIHS. And car makers are happy to add all this stuff that people feel compelled to get and charge a pretty penny. Just wish people understood not every piece of machinery needs to get your email or Twitter feed. If people would turn that stuff off we would likely find a new generation of car enthusiasts and also a group of people who really don't want to be behind the wheel. Could be a win win. And now back to reality.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
the 2016 XC60 has an 8-speed gearbox vs. a 6-speed, it's pretty smooth.
They're both T6 AWD which use the same turbo 6 engine and 6 speed transmission.

And +1 on cab's suggestion, take them in and drive them back to back.

We decided to lease our XC60 due in part to the new model being just a few years away, the next one will have the Drive-E engine with AWD. The Drive-E engine has similar power with better fuel mileage, it is offered only in FWD currently. I must say, it will be a hard decision because my wife really likes her car.....we'll see what the new model brings.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Based on the views above, why are any of you driving Volvos? Why didn't you just get a toyota corolla instead?

Also, don't know if the 2012 engine is the same as the 2011 which consumed oil. Check out the s60 2011+ forum for the thread about oil consumption with no warning.
Where did you see an 8 speed on the 16 xc60? The T6 AWD trim doesn't have it last I checked.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts

The Ford-made T6 6-cyl and the Ford-made 3.2 had a few, short lived, threads on oil consumption, but the Volvo-made T5 5-cyl is about as bullet-proof an engine as you can get (first appearing in the XC60 in the 2015.5 MY). The T5 and T6 4-cyl DriveE engines are doing good too, as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I'm not versed in AWD and assumed it was an 8-speed like my Drive-E. Sorry, my world is center of universe :D

·
Registered
837 Posts
I agree the 2016 isn't $20K more compelling than the 2012. At this point, we are more interested in seeing what the next gen XC60 will have to offer. A "T8" plug-in hybrid version might be compelling enough for us to upgrade. With regard to all the tech, I am loosely considering a used (CPO) Tesla Model S as my next ride (to replace my Volt whose lease was up last July). It is funny to hear folks go on and on about how awesome autopilot is in these cars and, while I'm sure it is, my primary motivation is totally how it DRIVES. Now, if I were looking at a NEW one then I would definitely get autopilot if, for not other reason, resale value. Tech is KING with a ton of buyers these days.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tech is KING with a ton of buyers these days.
Cab,
Well put. I'm a driver first and tech geek second. At the end of the day if I can change pandora stations from the steering wheel controls ... I'm estatic. All the extra tech is noise. That said ... Waze on the Senses screen would be killer.

Now for the real tech question ... Polestar on the 2012 XC60 T6 AWD, anyone have it? Like it? Worth it?

Karmabiker

·
Registered
837 Posts
We have polestar on our 2012 since all RDs had it in 2012 (and later). However, we almost never get a T6 awd loaner to compare. We did have an S60 T6 loaner and I noted it definitely had less of a sense of urgency. Conversely, an XC70 T6 felt fine...sorry, not much help I know!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We have polestar on our 2012 since all RDs had it in 2012 (and later). However, we almost never get a T6 awd loaner to compare. We did have an S60 T6 loaner and I noted it definitely had less of a sense of urgency. Conversely, an XC70 T6 felt fine...sorry, not much help I know!
I'll give you a seat of the pants review of the delta later today. Pictures forthcoming...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Proud owner of a polestar xc60 t6awd with the dynamic package.

Runs like a scalded dog. I can confirm that the polestar upgrade is worth every penny!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts