SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've loving our nw to us XC60 (base model V6 with 46k miles), but just today it started dying at low rpms and idle. I think it's either fuel related or MAF.

Is this a familiar experience for other owners?

Thanks! Looking forward to learn more about these volvos!

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
How many miles are on it? It could be a lot of things but certain issues are more likely to be a factor as the car gets up past 100k miles and unlikely to be factors if the car is newer.

First and easiest thing I would do is rule out a fuel contamination thing. Vehicles that have been sitting for a while, especially ones that sat with low fuel levels and received crap fuel, like vehicles at a dealership, often have moisture built up in the gas tank that can make the car run really poorly, have misfires that would appear to be due to other hardware issues, and even stall. Often people will try to fix the issue by throwing money at parts when a bottle of ‘dry gas’ like yellow HEET added to a fresh tank, followed by a second bottle and tankful if need be, will often be enough to disperse the moisture and solve the issue. Start there. If it’s moisture in the gas, you should feel an improvement almost immediately after you treat a tankful, although you may need to run a full tank of gas or two in order to fully solve the moisture issue.

Beyond that: Does it need to be jumped to restart it, or is there any difficulty turning over when you restart? If it’s on the original battery, that might be worn out and needing to be replaced at this point.

Coil pack failure can create significant misfires. A diagnostic scan tool should help you isolate the issue to whichever cylinder is experiencing the biggest misfire issue.

After 120k miles or so, the fuel pump may be failing.

02 sensors wear out and can cause wonky fuel trims that cause stalling issues.

Those are the most common sources of stalling issues I can think of. I’d put a scan tool on it and report back to us any codes it gives you, as that can offer additional clues that can help us get you sorted. Hope this helps!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts