SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
further to my brake issues in another thread.
Can anyone confirm if the XC60 T6 2012 model has a 'backup' brake vacuum pump that lives under a guard?

I've got a noise like a pump noise that comes on when I release the brake pedal and move between traffic lights and will go off again when I pull up.

I'm told by the dealer its a backup brake vacuum pump and is normal - although the noise only started after they replaced the fuel pressure sensor so it's just a coincidence?

I cant actually find any information about such a 'backup' pump for the T6 so wondering if I'm being told a story?
I've just had the primary vacuum pump rebuilt with a seal kit - the main unit attached to the engine block near the air compressor and air filter - but the pump noise described above still remains.

I'd love to know if such a 'backup pump' does exist or if I'm being told a story.
I'd also love ideas on what the pump noise could be if it isn't the mysterious backup pump?

Any advice or ideas appreciated

Cheers
James
Australia

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No such thing it seems!

Hi all,
further to my brake issues in another thread.
Can anyone confirm if the XC60 T6 2012 model has a 'backup' brake vacuum pump that lives under a guard?

I've got a noise like a pump noise that comes on when I release the brake pedal and move between traffic lights and will go off again when I pull up.

I'm told by the dealer its a backup brake vacuum pump and is normal - although the noise only started after they replaced the fuel pressure sensor so it's just a coincidence?

I cant actually find any information about such a 'backup' pump for the T6 so wondering if I'm being told a story?
I've just had the primary vacuum pump rebuilt with a seal kit - the main unit attached to the engine block near the air compressor and air filter - but the pump noise described above still remains.

I'd love to know if such a 'backup pump' does exist or if I'm being told a story.
I'd also love ideas on what the pump noise could be if it isn't the mysterious backup pump?

Any advice or ideas appreciated

Cheers
James
Australia

So I've managed to look this up on VIDA and whatever else I can find on google.
I can't find any reference to a 'backup pump' for T6. As far as I can tell it has only the one that runs directly off the engine.
Other models have an electronic pump - but I'm almost certain the T6 does not.

If anyone can confirm this I would be very grateful as I want to go back to my dealer and tear him a new one for lying to me.
I'd also like to know what the noise ACTUALLY is if there is no mythical backup pump.

Please reply if you know!

Cheers
James

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I've managed to look this up on VIDA and whatever else I can find on google.
I can't find any reference to a 'backup pump' for T6. As far as I can tell it has only the one that runs directly off the engine.
Other models have an electronic pump - but I'm almost certain the T6 does not.

If anyone can confirm this I would be very grateful as I want to go back to my dealer and tear him a new one for lying to me.
I'd also like to know what the noise ACTUALLY is if there is no mythical backup pump.

Please reply if you know!

Cheers
James

Ok, so I'm updating my own thread here in the hope it may help someone else.
There is no backup vacuum pump on the XC60 T6.
I've confirmed this via my own copy of VIDA and now the dealership who are rather red-faced.

My brakes are my brakes it seems - and the loss of vacuum normal when pumped so quickly.

The noise however I have determined to be the power steering pump - so the mission begins now to address that.

I'm about to flush the power steering system and clean the reservoir - as other theads elsewhere have had success with this for something similar.
Failing that it will be time for yet another over-priced part to be replaced :-{

Cheers
James
Tassie

1 - 3 of 3 Posts