SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got XC60 T5 (MY2012) already 9 months. Compare to my S60 T5 (MY2005), hate to say I have no good driving experience with XC60 T5. Seat is not comfortable and the worst … no power, yup… it has no power and maybe perform like NA car :(

I test drive my friend VW Tiguan 2.0 TSI (MY2013) last night. VW Tiguan is not that power as S60 T5 (MY2005), but it is a lot better than XC60 T5. I start to doubt whether Volvo forget to install turbo in my engine :facepalm:

In my belief XC60 T5 is superior over VW Tiguan 2.0 TSI in term of power. Hard to live with it after I drove VW Tiguan. How are you guys feel XC60 T5 in power? Just want to know whether I miss anything…

The spec on paper,
VW Tiguan 2.0 TSI - 208 hp at 5,300 rpm / 280 Nm at 1,700 rpm / weight 1,689 kg / 7.3 seconds
Volvo XC60 T5 - 240 hp at 5,500 rpm / 320 Nm at 1,800 rpm / weight 1,698 kg / 8.1 seconds

p/s: extremely slow throttle response + no power like NA car

·
Registered
642 Posts
So, obviously not in USA, since we didn't get the T5 until 2015. Interesting that on paper, the XC60 seems it should be way faster, except 0-60. Maybe get an ECU upgrade? You don't have an engine light or anything? I wonder if you are getting full boost.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
greeting :) i am from Malaysia. Meter clocked @ 52,000 miles, change of air filter, spark plug, oil change and clean MAF about 3 months ago. ATF changed @ 31,000 miles.

There is no fault message. I used VIDA (ECM advance option) to clean the injectors... no improvement.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not really a happy ending after send to volvo service center. Turbo is running, everything is healthy and no software upgrade available. (software updated in last Jan)
Long story short, i have to live with this slow volvo.

I just realized that i am not alone. There are quite some owners of s60 t5 or xc60 t5 (same engine) complaining this issue.
Spec shown on paper is XXX. Think twice before you jump into this engine, this is not 5 pot T5. This is powerless T5.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Spec shown on paper is XXX. Think twice before you jump into this engine, this is not 5 pot T5. This is powerless T5.
Ohhhh.... God, I hate Volvo sometimes. You have the 2.0l 4 cylinder, not a T5. I really don't care what they call it. T means turbo, and 5 means 5 cylinders. Yep, T4 is not very powerful. Sorry you got fooled. It's really unconscionable.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
I got XC60 T5 (MY2012) already 9 months. Compare to my S60 T5 (MY2005), hate to say I have no good driving experience with XC60 T5. Seat is not comfortable and the worst … no power, yup… it has no power and maybe perform like NA car :(

I test drive my friend VW Tiguan 2.0 TSI (MY2013) last night. VW Tiguan is not that power as S60 T5 (MY2005), but it is a lot better than XC60 T5. I start to doubt whether Volvo forget to install turbo in my engine :facepalm:

In my belief XC60 T5 is superior over VW Tiguan 2.0 TSI in term of power. Hard to live with it after I drove VW Tiguan. How are you guys feel XC60 T5 in power? Just want to know whether I miss anything…

The spec on paper,
VW Tiguan 2.0 TSI - 208 hp at 5,300 rpm / 280 Nm at 1,700 rpm / weight 1,689 kg / 7.3 seconds
Volvo XC60 T5 - 240 hp at 5,500 rpm / 320 Nm at 1,800 rpm / weight 1,698 kg / 8.1 seconds

p/s: extremely slow throttle response + no power like NA car
What T5 engine is this? I do not recall such engine on a MY12 XC60...what country?

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
T means turbo, and 5 means 5 cylinders. .
Not any more...

The number reflects the level of power generated by the engine of that particular model.

·
Registered
201 Posts
What T5 engine is this? I do not recall such engine on a MY12 XC60...what country?
It's a Ford EcoBoost engine with PowerShift dual-clutch transmission. Widely available in most European and Asian countries for example. Not much love out there for this engine/transmission combo.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Not any more...

The number reflects the level of power generated by the engine of that particular model.
Yeah... it really doesn't. Talk to poor Keng about his "T5" power level. Disingenous, at best. Stupid marketing, for sure.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I took my T5 (5 cyl) AWD 2015.5 XC60 to the dealership today because there were funny gray lines being drawn on the Nav map, even though the Nav was working fine otherwise. They gave me a T6 (6 cyl) AWD XC60 as a loaner, and, to be honest, it doesn't seem as peppy as my 5 cyl. I have to put the transmission into 'sport mode' to make feel as peppy off the line as my 5 cyl feels in 'normal mode'. Really surprised by this. I'm not that impressed by the 6 cyl compared to the 5 cyl.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have a 2015.5 T6 xc60 and found it was way peppier than the T5 loaner they gave me. Don't have to put it in sports mode at all off the line.

2015.5 XC60 T6, crystal white, premium plus, pole star tune, climate package, bliss

·
Registered
642 Posts
I have a 2015.5 T6 xc60 and found it was way peppier than the T5 loaner they gave me. Don't have to put it in sports mode at all off the line.
T5 or T5 AWD loaner? Different engines. Yet another reason the badging nomenclature is BS.

I would think the real T5 would demand a slightly different driving style to account for the overboost function, though I found the T5 AWD XC60 not unpleasant compared to my P* C70, unlike our 3.2 XC60.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Yeah... it really doesn't. Talk to poor Keng about his "T5" power level.
His "T5" is a Ford engine with all its known issues plus it is paired w/ a 6-speed transmission, not 8.

Please go drive an XC60 T5 Drive-E and I would appreciate your HONEST feedback. This, all Volvo, engine is very capable and provides very good performance on any Volvo it is paired with.

Disingenous, at best. Stupid marketing, for sure.
It is not disingenuous. It is a change in variant name and, as with any changes, transitions are not always welcomed by all.

·
Registered
378 Posts
T5 or T5 AWD loaner? Different engines. Yet another reason the badging nomenclature is BS.

I would think the real T5 would demand a slightly different driving style to account for the overboost function, though I found the T5 AWD XC60 not unpleasant compared to my P* C70, unlike our 3.2 XC60.
It a T5 AWD loner. The transmission is horrible. Shifts way to early in 1st gear making it almost irrelevant

Later gents

·
Registered
642 Posts
His "T5" is a Ford engine with all its known issues plus it is paired w/ a 6-speed transmission, not 8.

Please go drive an XC60 T5 Drive-E and I would appreciate your HONEST feedback. This, all Volvo, engine is very capable and provides very good performance on any Volvo it is paired with.

It is not disingenuous. It is a change in variant name and, as with any changes, transitions are not always welcomed by all.
Don't need to drive one:

From Edmunds (since Volvo don't deign to list 0-60 on their "Performance" web page): "The 2015 Volvo XC60 T5 Drive-E comes with a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine that produces 240 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque. Front-wheel drive and an eight-speed automatic transmission are standard, along with an automatic stop-start system that shuts down the engine to save fuel when the XC60 has come to a stop. Volvo estimates the T5 Drive-E will go from zero to 60 mph in 6.9 seconds."

"Taking its [the 3.2L] place is the T5 AWD, which comes with a turbocharged 2.5-liter five-cylinder engine that produces 250 hp and 266 lb-ft of torque. This engine is also paired to all-wheel drive and a six-speed automatic transmission that Volvo estimates will propel the T5 AWD from zero to 60 in a much more respectable 6.6 seconds."

And that's dragging 200 pounds of extra AWD weight around, and an old (crappy) 6 speed Auto from the dark times (Ford ownership). Should be good for another .2s off that 6.6, if you could get apples to apples. Half a second is huge.

So there ya go: two cars called T5 and no, Victoria, they are not comparable. Let alone the complete insanity of calling the EcoBoost on a par with the venerable T5. I can let that go as Ford nonsense. Perpetuating it post-Ford is not acceptable and we should say so.

I vote you be a silent apologist. And yes, I'm bitter I got screwed on the 3.2L, so I intend to make sure people know what they are really getting.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
I vote you be a silent apologist. And yes, I'm bitter I got screwed on the 3.2L, so I intend to make sure people know what they are really getting.

Your vote is rejected. :p

Go drive one. And then come back and let me know I was wrong, I know I am not.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I took my T5 (5 cyl) AWD 2015.5 XC60 to the dealership today because there were funny gray lines being drawn on the Nav map, even though the Nav was working fine otherwise. They gave me a T6 (6 cyl) AWD XC60 as a loaner, and, to be honest, it doesn't seem as peppy as my 5 cyl. I have to put the transmission into 'sport mode' to make feel as peppy off the line as my 5 cyl feels in 'normal mode'. Really surprised by this. I'm not that impressed by the 6 cyl compared to the 5 cyl.
Replying to my own quote. Another day of driving my T6 (6 cyl) AWD XC60 loaner. I'm noticing the muscle in hard acceleration above, about 40 mph. Great power in this realm. Better than my T5 (5 cyl) AWD, but my T5 ain't bad in this realm either.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Your vote is rejected. :p

Go drive one. And then come back and let me know I was wrong, I know I am not.
I will, as soon as you drive an AWD T4.

Oh, wait...

·
Registered
642 Posts
Aargh, now these idiot dealers are listing T4s as 5 cylinder, so I can't even find a car.

Curse you, Volvo marketing!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts