SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I bought my first Volvo about 3 weeks ago. It's a 2012 XC60 3.2 with low miles that I bought from the original owner who babied it and always serviced it at Volvo dealerships.

Since I've never owned a Volvo before I have a question. At what speed should the XC60 shift into 2nd gear? I've noticed that when I drive from a parking spot, after a stop sign or stoplight etc. the car tends to shift into second gear between 2-3mph it seems. It seems low to me that it's shifting into 2nd gear so early. I've found that it does it under regular driving conditions, slow driving conditions and somewhat fast starting conditions.

The transmission is smooth, no hard shift or any signs that there is a problem just odd that it's a low mph shift unless that is normal with Volvos. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Normal. First gear has a lot of gear reduction for better move off from stop and there is little need to keep it there and rev engine too much in lower throttle situations. As number of gears in auto transmissions goes up the shift speed schedule moves shifts to lower speeds.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great! Thanks for the reply, just wanted to make sure everything was okay with the shifting and that it wasn't something faulty or going wrong.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts