SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all !

I bought a used 2012 Volvo S60 last week and started noticing a strange noise while accelerating. It almost sounds like grinding noise. The car still accelerates but this noise starts annoying me. The noise is not really very unpleasant but it can distract you. Here are few observations I made.

1. I don't hear it that intense in the mornings(Temparature around 40's)
2. I don't hear it if I try to accelerate at a very very slow pace.
3. I don't hear it once I reach 4th or higher gears.
4. I took car to the Volvo dealership(very early morning) and they said there's no issue.
5. No Check Engine lights.
6. I don't hear it when I push down the gas pedal on Neutral.

Can anyone throw some light on this issue?

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Is it more of a buzz noise?

A recording would be VERY helpful.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Congrats on your purchase. Post pics :)
+1 on the sound recording. In case you've missed it, there is a sticky on how to post images and videos.
Check your engine oil and keep an eye on it to make sure it's not suffering from the oil consumption problem discussed here (a couple of threads near the top in this forum's first page)
How many miles do you have on it?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Congrats on your purchase. Post pics :)
+1 on the sound recording. In case you've missed it, there is a sticky on how to post images and videos.
Check your engine oil and keep an eye on it to make sure it's not suffering from the oil consumption problem discussed here (a couple of threads near the top in this forum's first page)
How many miles do you have on it?
I've also found some threads about transmission issues with this car but none recently.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Any chance it is the ABS self test? That is done once, each time the car
starts and while it is still moving fairly slow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello all, I just want give an update on this issue.

I took the car to the dealership ad had an associate drive with me. He felt the reverberating sound what I am hearing is totally normal with Volvo engines.

So I will wait and see if this sound will get worse or stay the same.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hello all, I just want give an update on this issue.

I took the car to the dealership ad had an associate drive with me. He felt the reverberating sound what I am hearing is totally normal with Volvo engines.

So I will wait and see if this sound will get worse or stay the same.
Can you record it and post on YouTube and link us? I don't know this sound that you speak of in mine. The only noise mine made is when the engine was ruined.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts