SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They are quoting me about $850 for the trailing arm bushing replacement, then 150ish for alignment.

Calling around, it seems that the estimate is quite similar to the dealer ("a little over $800) but one highly respected mechanic/shop told me that an alignment isn't really necessary when replacing rear trailing arm bushing. If I needed one before, then I should get it, but otherwise don't necessarily need alignment afterward.

Volvo guarantees parts for life, the 3rd part uses OEM but says 24k/2 year parts warranty. He says this replacement should realistically last me the remaining life of my car, im at 90k miles now.

I am asking the dealer to maybe throw in a coupon, but leaning towards third party to give second opinion if I truly need it replaced and if so, would go to him.

Am I approaching this correctly? Or should I just go to the dealer given the better warranty? I could always ask them to not to alignment (just had one done in november) but worry it would upset them. I am paranoid with mechanics :confused:

Thanks

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
If the costs are similiar, and you have had a good experience in the past, go to the dealer for the better warranty. They hear no all day long, so I wouldnt worry about the alignment.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the costs are similiar, and you have had a good experience in the past, go to the dealer for the better warranty. They hear no all day long, so I wouldnt worry about the alignment.
Thank you. The other shop is going to offer a second opinion and I will go from there. Appreciate your input.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
If it were my car, I'd have an alignment done. You mention you had one done in November, but if the rear control arms were bent or the bushings worn at that time, the wheels were aligned to those damaged components. Now, when the new parts are installed, things may be in a little different location.

Or maybe not. Hard to say with certainty.

As they say, "As long as you're in there, might as well get it done".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts