SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 S60R MT with lots of mods, Chipped, Lowered, 3 inch downpipes to mention a few now I am thinking of leasing a 2012 Volvo S60 R-Design. Just looking to hear from everyone what they think about the R-Design.
:confused:

·
Registered
8,698 Posts
I have a 2004 S60R MT with lots of mods, Chipped, Lowered, 3 inch downpipes to mention a few now I am thinking of leasing a 2012 Volvo S60 R-Design. Just looking to hear from everyone what they think about the R-Design.
go to the regular S60 forum and find out, we only talk about Rs in here.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I test drove it and loved it, it's a hell of a car. There's no manual transmission of course but I actually really like the 6spd automatic that it uses, it's very adaptive and fun to drive. The suspension is firm but not stiff, even though there's no 4C.

Go drive one, they're great cars.

·
Registered
253 Posts
been there, done that. It really isn't an R. its a nice car but its really disconnected and I felt that I was losing a lot of the driving experience.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Reminds me of atacama, poop.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Eh coming from a Gobi driver, the least desired interior...
Dude, your interior is orange. That is so strange lol

I like the R-Design and considered one when my car was giving me trouble. Looks great and is quick. Interior is luscious as well.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts

·
Registered
5,906 Posts

You're sitting on Oompa Loompa's.

It's leather's natural color....and Oompa loompas were f*cking orange midgets with green hair, that's a lot weirder than natural color seats haha. The fact is Gobi is boring, it's acceptable for people who end their day with warm milk at 6pm. It's not an ugly color, just a boring one. I have nothing against nordkap as it's pretty nice, but atacama is the best seating color I've ever seen/owned.

·
Registered
935 Posts
It's leather's natural color....and Oompa loompas were f*cking orange midgets with green hair, that's a lot weirder than natural color seats haha. The fact is Gobi is boring, it's acceptable for people who end their day with warm milk at 6pm. It's not an ugly color, just a boring one. I have nothing against nordkap as it's pretty nice, but atacama is the best seating color I've ever seen/owned.
Well then I guess I drink warm milk at night and $hit atacama in the morning :)

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
It's totally different, I would suggest test driving it several times before you decided.....and not to sure about the whole leasing thing.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
I test drove it and loved it, it's a hell of a car. There's no manual transmission of course but I actually really like the 6spd automatic that it uses, it's very adaptive and fun to drive. The suspension is firm but not stiff, even though there's no 4C.

Go drive one, they're great cars.
This brings up a good point. I learned to drive stick on my R and to be honest I HATE DRIVING AUTOMATICS now partly due to my ADHD the manual transmission gives me something to do but Y U NO make a manual transmission on any newer vehicles? They milk you up to the idea for a few years then go oh, well, we're disposing of them and making 350 hp Tampon Techtronic Racers.....Angers me greatly...

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
been there, done that. It really isn't an R. its a nice car but its really disconnected and I felt that I was losing a lot of the driving experience.
I agree. It feels... Lumpy. Drove a 2011 S60 T6, it felt extremely heavy. It's comfy, and quick, but it feels too much like an old persons car. It's like an Infiniti G35X had sex with a Lexus GS400.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
This brings up a good point. I learned to drive stick on my R and to be honest I HATE DRIVING AUTOMATICS now partly due to my ADHD the manual transmission gives me something to do but Y U NO make a manual transmission on any newer vehicles? They milk you up to the idea for a few years then go oh, well, we're disposing of them and making 350 hp Tampon Techtronic Racers.....Angers me greatly...
They offer the manual trans in EUROPE

What the **** volvo? They also offer MANY different cars we don't have here, and trim levels, and engine selections...

·
Registered
2,418 Posts

I like the R-Design and considered one when my car was giving me trouble. Looks great and is quick. Interior is luscious as well.
Have you ever actually been in an Atacama? Back in the day, the Nissan 300ZX had a red interior, which was actually pretty sweet in person. Same goes for the Atacama.

Unique and rare, makes for better value. Gives it more of an exotic feel, too.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Well then I guess I drink warm milk at night and $hit atacama in the morning :)
Lol. I have gobi as well and I think it looks great. Especially with sonic blue. There's a reason "sonicama" is so rare: it looks hideous as a color combo. But atacama with a black exterior looks great. Of course with the atacama, it seems that one can demand a higher price for her/his car due to certain enthusiasts demanding only atacama...

So funny how this devolved into an interior color battle. :p

Post this thread in the R forum and you'll get an R bias, and I'm sure you'd get the same in the new S60 forum haha.

I think the words of John Maloney put it best: "[The R's] had a lot of character and were somewhat raw and visceral in their driver experience...The R-Design is more refined and less raw." I remember jumping back in my R directly after test driving the new S60T6 and my R was way more fun to drive. I don't doubt with the polestar tune etc., the R-design is faster, but it really isn't as much of a driver's car as the R is.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
The S60 T6 Polestar AWD R-Design will go faster. The T5 FWD is more fun. Sometimes less is more, especially when it comes to tossability. You'll see it in the Z06 v Z71 in Road and Track. 100# of supercharging hardware for 150 hp makes things better straight line, but harder in turns.

And as my Indy says (and maintains) about Volvos; "Don't buy a transverse 6 cylinder volvo. You're asking for trouble."

Nordkap is the best leather ever. Mine isn't flaking at all and you're all stupid for liking Gobi. Ask anyone in the desert: Sand is sand. Atacama is fun for a while, but then gets irritating. The orange is a performance issue anyways, since you have to go slower in a construction zone.

:beer:

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I agree. It feels... Lumpy. Drove a 2011 S60 T6, it felt extremely heavy. It's comfy, and quick, but it feels too much like an old persons car. It's like an Infiniti G35X had sex with a Lexus GS400.
+1. Don't know about the "sex with Lexus" part, but agree with the rest. I drove the 2011 twice and told them I'd buy it. Slept on it and backed out. The car "feels" bulky. I know the 2012 has more HP than the 2011, but I doubt if it is any faster than an R with ECU tune and for sure with DP because that puts the HP about equal. The part that really turned me off was the area between the rear wheels and the rear bumper. It looked as if they ran out of material and cut it too short. It's personal preference, but I prefer my R for now.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts