SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 821 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:angryfire:
Hey, all! I'm new here, so apologies if this has been posted/answered. However, I couldn't find anything via search. My question is, is anyone else dealing with their S60 burning oil? I've not seen any leaks or black smoke, so I assumed all was well. A friend of mine had her engine blow up from lack of oil and no warning light, so I got paranoid. I checked my oil this weekend and it was bone dry! No warning light either. I put in 5 quarts and took it to the dealer. They are still trying to diagnose what is going on.

Is this happening to anyone else?

In regards to the recall on the oil pressure warning light, I had apparently had that fixed last year! Ok - so why then did I not get the warning light when my oil went low? Where did the oil go? Is this a common occurrence with this vehicle? Expensive fix? Please help!

2012 S60 T5 FWD
68,000 mi

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
In regards to the recall on the oil pressure warning light, I had apparently had that fixed last year! Ok - so why then did I not get the warning light when my oil went low? Where did the oil go? Is this a common occurrence with this vehicle? Expensive fix? Please help!

2012 S60 T5 FWD
68,000 mi
I don't think the T5 (5 Cyl) monitors oil level (that's why there's dip stick). Oil pressure is a different thing. And be thankful you didn't see that light on. There's been some reports of oil consumption here but nothing systemic.

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Hi, it needed 5 quarts? Are you sure it was bone dry? Did you remove the drain plug and filter to be sure? You risk overfilling and blowing the head gasket or worse if you put too much in. It would have to be burning oil at quite a high rate to lose all that oil, I think you'd see the clouds of smoke coming from the exhaust, and most probably black soot residue on and above the tail pipe, on the bumper and sounding body. This sure sounds like a leak to me. When was the last time you had the oil changed (how many miles ago), and from where? Maybe they didn't put enough oil in? You're right, you should've had a warning light though.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
If it was 5qts low, you would have gotten a low oil pressure message. Like BMOPete says, you cant tell how low it is using only the dipstick. If the dipstick is dry, it could be .5 to 1 qt low. To see if its anymore than that requires draining the oil. Lastly, do you know if it was ever full? Believe it or not, some places dont check the level after an oil change. Its possible it wasnt filled to even the low mark when you got your last oil change.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I added one quart at a time, waiting for several minutes in between to see if it registered on the dipstick. It actually took four quarts of oil.

Volvo couldn't find a single leak issue and sent me on my way with instructions to check it in five thousand miles.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I added one quart at a time, waiting for several minutes in between to see if it registered on the dipstick. It actually took four quarts of oil.

Volvo couldn't find a single leak issue and sent me on my way with instructions to check it in five thousand miles.
You should check it much more often, like every tank of gas, since if it consmes that much it could cause your engine to seize. And definetly check it immedietly to determine the starting point, so you can measure consumption accurately. If you would like more advice, we need to know the last time the oil was changed (prior to the consumption) and if you knew for sure it was full.

Also check this link out: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...lve-at-78k-miles&highlight=T5+oil+consumption

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
our 2012 s60 t5 had the same issue at 39k miles. volvo did a compression test and found 115 psi in cyl 4 and 125 in cyl 3. the others were 160-165. volvo did a piston ring job on it with new big end (crank) bearings for the con rods. all is well now, the job was estimated to be 4800 to 5200 bucks by the service writer at another dealer. however we were under warranty and it was all covered except for a timing belt job that was added just for the cost of the parts, (thanks volvo).

edit; the car was using 2 quarts of oil in 1600 miles, however, the oil light did light up for us. no smoke, ran ok, no drips, no leaks at all. volvo caught it as i am not the driver of the car, at least not often do i drive it. good car now, well, so far. touch wood!

·
Registered
144 Posts

Been There, Done That with the same dealer. Call Volvo of North America's customer center and tell them the story. They should start a file on your car and have the dealer go further with their testing. They should have at least determined for themselves how much oil the car is using.

·
Registered
191 Posts
:angryfire:
Hey, all! I'm new here, so apologies if this has been posted/answered. However, I couldn't find anything via search. My question is, is anyone else dealing with their S60 burning oil? I've not seen any leaks or black smoke, so I assumed all was well. A friend of mine had her engine blow up from lack of oil and no warning light, so I got paranoid. I checked my oil this weekend and it was bone dry! No warning light either. I put in 5 quarts and took it to the dealer. They are still trying to diagnose what is going on.

Is this happening to anyone else?

2012 S60 T5 FWD
68,000 mi
Seriously? Two posts? A friend who blew hers up?

Take a picture of the dealers comments and post it for me please.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Honestly, I had just trusted that during my last oil change it was full and they checked it. First time for everything, I suppose.
In that case you dont have a consumption issue because you cant confirm it was ever full. Check it regularly and report back here. And I will ask for the third time, at what mileage was the oil changed?

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Sounds like there is something else going on here....no leak, no consumption = not full at last change. I find it hard to believe you added 4 quarts, because a low oil pressure warning would have to be triggered with only 1 quart in the engine. Do you and your friend go to the same dealer? No, this is not a regular thing. At all. You gotta pull the dip stick now and then friend....good luck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Believe it! I most certainly added 4 quarts. No light whatsoever. After the 4th quart, the level on the dipstick was right in the cross -hatched area.

She may be going to the same dealer. There are only 2 in the area.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
The oil was changed every 7,500 miles.
That means the oil was changed at 67,500 miles and you discovered it at 68,000? Thats a definite underfill. Volvofarmer is right about the pressure light. I know you said it was fixed, but it appears its still a problem. Also the oil in these engines takes about 15 minutes to drain from top to bottom, so waiting "a few minutes" between quarts is not enough. A few more questions:

Was the engine hot when you discovered the low oil?
If so how long did you wait between shutting it off and checking?

After you put in 4 quarts did you recheck again after wating a while?

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I have been a Volvo service advisor and service manager for years. I have seen thousands of cars, and nothing like what you say happened has ever even remotely come close to occur on my service drive. It technically is impossible to have 1 quart of oil in the engine and not have the low oil pressure light come on. I don't know what to tell you, but the story doesn't add up and defies the basic design of the engine. I wouldn't be so confident if I didn't do this for a living for a long time...... If you are saying the car lost over 4 quarts of oil in less than a thousand miles and there is no consumption and no leaks......well, that's not even physically possible. As you can see many others share my opinion.

·
Registered
16,558 Posts
Like you said, perhaps the oil pressure sending unit is also at fault. How did the car run with 1 qt of oil in it?

Sorry for your troubles. Best keep a close eye on oil consumption as you may be in for a major repair shortly like some other folks on here. I wonder if there is correlation between these cars around date of manufacture? You have klrobi above who had the same problem and I recall reading another thread not too long ago with major engine trouble. Just found it -

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?217635-2012-S60-T5-Hole-in-Exhaust-valve-at-78k-miles

1 - 20 of 821 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.