SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, I am currently in the process of souping up my 2012 t6, and saw that the Aisin AWF21 is rated at 331 max lb-ft of torque.

I am probably at about 360-370 lb-ft of torque.

Any idea on the true torque limits of the t6 AWD transmission or when it will start having issues?
Are there upgrades that should be done such as a valve body upgrade or something similar?

Thank you all for your replies.

·
Registered
2012 S60 T6 AWD
285 Posts
Hi, might want to repost this on a model-specific forum to get more eyeballs. The 2011-2018 S60/V60 forum gets a lot of traffic, and all of those cars are equipped with this gearbox. Also, there might be more folks over on that forum who are experienced with high-power applications.

I'm no transmission expert, but here is what I know and have heard, which might be helpful to you. The S60 with the Polestar tune (Either T6 w/ P* tune or T6 RD) will make roughly 350 lb-ft of torque from the factory. These cars do not have beefed-up gearboxes, so I'm inclined to say you'll have no issues at roughly ~20 lb-ft over.

Additionally, it is to my understanding that the transmission is the exact same in the S60 Polestar as well, which makes 369 lb-ft of torque. If this is the case, you wouldn't be taxing it any harder than a factory Volvo.

Provided you don't make a habit out of doing the 2nd gear brake boost launch trick, and change your fluid every 50k miles, I doubt you'll have an issue. I'd also be curious to know how you're getting more power out of this engine!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, might want to repost this on a model-specific forum to get more eyeballs. The 2011-2018 S60/V60 forum gets a lot of traffic, and all of those cars are equipped with this gearbox. Also, there might be more folks over on that forum who are experienced with high-power applications.

I'm no transmission expert, but here is what I know and have heard, which might be helpful to you. The S60 with the Polestar tune (Either T6 w/ P* tune or T6 RD) will make roughly 350 lb-ft of torque from the factory. These cars do not have beefed-up gearboxes, so I'm inclined to say you'll have no issues at roughly ~20 lb-ft over.

Additionally, it is to my understanding that the transmission is the exact same in the S60 Polestar as well, which makes 369 lb-ft of torque. If this is the case, you wouldn't be taxing it any harder than a factory Volvo.

Provided you don't make a habit out of doing the 2nd gear brake boost launch trick, and change your fluid every 50k miles, I doubt you'll have an issue. I'd also be curious to know how you're getting more power out of this engine!
Thank you for your response. I will make a thread there as well.

So far I have put on a performance IPD downpipe, and gotten a stage II tune from Hilton. I'm going to put an elevate exhaust on as well, and have a whole list of modifications I plan on doing at some point.

·
Registered
2012 S60 T6 AWD
285 Posts
Thank you for your response. I will make a thread there as well.

So far I have put on a performance IPD downpipe, and gotten a stage II tune from Hilton. I'm going to put an elevate exhaust on as well, and have a whole list of modifications I plan on doing at some point.
I also totally left out some crucial information. Because Volvo is over the limit, they torque limit the cars in first and second gear from the factory. You don't get full boost until third. The Hilton tune has the option of removing this torque limit, which will greatly improve 0-60, but will shorten the life of the box.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts