SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am in the Northeast US. Recently purchased my S80 with 103k miles. Beautiful car, but within a month I got the charging failure light intermittently. Took it to autozone and they confirmed that while the light was on it was only putting out about 11.9 v. But battery was good. Light comes on after about 15 mins of driving. I chanced it and actually got to and from work for 5 days. But today the car conked out. I first noticed the power assist for steering went out, and practically every warning message on the dash lit up. Engine did not actually shut off, but car would barely move. I had it towed. Any idea how much an alternator replacement on this is? Can barely see the thing under the intake manifold. Is this something I can do myself?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Don't pull the trigger on a alternator just yet... I had the same issue on my car and it turned out to be the bolt for the pulley on the alternator had come loose so wasn't charging. Unfortunately with these cars the intake manifold has to be removed to gain access to the alternator to even check it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts