SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a little help choosing a new car.....My local dealer has a 2012 S60 T6 R-Design with 10k miles and 2013 T5 AWD premier for about the same price. Which would you buy?
Thanks

·
Registered
369 Posts
Slightly biased here but there's no question for me...RD

·
Registered
13,510 Posts
That's kind of a no-brainer evern for a T5 driver like me - RD all the way!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Actually, I don't think it's that simple a call to make. I love my R-D, but an AWD S60 with better gas mileage might be worth a look. I haven't test driven the T5 AWD yet, but if performance was close I'd consider it. The R-D is really fast and handles briskly, which is why I bought it, but gas mileage here rarely breaks the 25 to 26 mpg range on the highway ... which is somewhat disappointing. My old Audi A4 Quattro easily did over 30 mpg in the same conditions.

So, if I had the choice today, I'd certainly consider both cars and would make my decision only after driving both cars back to back. I might still decide the R-D was the best option for me, but it's nice to have another AWD choice in the S60 line.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the advice

Thanks guys. The RD is definitely more fun to drive and handles better. It also comes with more....climate and media packages, plus xenon lights and sportier looks. The T5 has better gas mileage, is very comfortable., but comes only with climate package. I lean towards the RD because who would not. It's awesome. But, the T5 has better gas mileage and a longer warranty, and is probably less expensive to maintain. It's actually tough to decide. I appreciate the advice. This will be my first Volvo and I can't wait.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Thanks guys. The RD is definitely more fun to drive and handles better. It also comes with more....climate and media packages, plus xenon lights and sportier looks. The T5 has better gas mileage, is very comfortable., but comes only with climate package. I lean towards the RD because who would not. It's awesome. But, the T5 has better gas mileage and a longer warranty, and is probably less expensive to maintain. It's actually tough to decide. I appreciate the advice. This will be my first Volvo and I can't wait.
Why would the T5 cost less to maintain?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The RD has better14k less warranty and free service. Plus it comes with summer tires. I'll need snows or all seasons. It's probably not a big deal. I just figure more car = more maintenance.

·
Registered
459 Posts
The RD has better14k less warranty and free service. Plus it comes with summer tires. I'll need snows or all seasons. It's probably not a big deal. I just figure more car = more maintenance.
The R-D comes with all seasons.

·
Registered
115 Posts
That is a tough choice and both will be good. I think the chassis on the R is the most tempting part. Besides that I prefer the car without the non-functional adornments and the T5 is a great engine. It is also nice that the T5 is a bit lighter. Having said that, if it were me and the prices are close I'd definitely go with the R; so much more car for the money.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
This one has contiprocontacts. Definitely summer tires. Yeah I might have to suck it up and get the R.
They're tires... Sell them or just use them... I got MXM4 and am quite happy with them.

I'd go for the T5. As a T5 driver, the only complaint for me is the build quality issues, slow transmission, and slightly softer than optimal suspension.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'd go for the T5. As a T5 driver, the only complaint for me is the build quality issues, slow transmission, and slightly softer than optimal suspension.
I also really like my T5 and haven't had any complaints other than sometimes wishing for the dynamic package. If you live in a Northern clmate though, the touring chassis and 17" wheels are probably right.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
S60 R-Design all the way! There are easy ways you can increase performance AND MPG on any internal combustion engine. Ex. Exhaust systems, intakes, more powerful spark plugs/wires/coils.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Not necessarily.
I should have added that summer tires can be specified since both are offered. In the Northeast, all come with all-seasons unless the summer tires are requested.

·
Registered
459 Posts
This one has contiprocontacts. Definitely summer tires. Yeah I might have to suck it up and get the R.
"Grand Touring All Season" according to their web site.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry. It actually comes with contisportcontacts. It's not a deal killer by any means. They just wouldn't be my first pick.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts