SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Swedespeed,

I’m up in the Twin Cities and need some advice.

My head gasket went out, my coolant looked like the water from a Louisiana swamp, except thicker.

My warranty went out on 5/16 and today is 5/20. 83k miles on the odometer. How lenient is Volvo on the warranty? Secondly, has anyone done a head gasket themselves on this particular engine? My other option is to bring it to Swedish Motors in the Twin Cities if Volvo doesn’t cover it.

Anyone have words of wisdom?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
If you have been taking it to the dealer for things other than items that are free, that certainly helps. Goodwill is always case by case though and it would need to be diagnosed by them before any consideration will be given to goodwill.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Are you sure its the head gasket?

Usually its the oil cooler on the side of the oil filter housing the causes oil in the cooling system. I have yet to see a headgasket (unless it overheated) leak oil into coolant on a T6 engine and I've been working on them since they were new. I have seen a dozen oil coolers leak and its nasty.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Gunshow and Tech, that’s a sigh of relief, right?

I’m not 100% sure other than previous experience with other cars and just mediocre car engine experience - and 0 experience with this engine. Any other car I would’ve driven Subie, VW, this oil in the coolant would’ve been nearly guaranteed head gasket.

As far as I know the engine has never over heated, no warning signs ever which made me still wonder why Volvo doesn’t include the temp gauge (I’ve seen other posts about that too.)

That’d make sense of why it was idling, starting and driving just fine and a large amount of oil missing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, Volvo offered to go 50/50 on what is an oil cooler leak.

I think 4 days after warranty it really should be mostly them, and if not the whole thing. I get that it was the end of the warranty but this didn’t happen overnight AND it would show them as being the reputable car company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
722 Posts
$1000 is half? No way
Sounds a bit excessive!
Agreed. You can pick up a Behr oil cooler (oem) for about $95 and then you've only got maybe $20 in seals/gaskets for parts. I have trouble imagining more than 3 hours of labor unless that thing is crazy buried. I'd have expected this to be about a $500 job in total.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
The oil cooler itself pays 1.5 hours if I remember correctly.

Additional cost could have been added to try to clean the cooling system out, which can be the hardest part.

·
Registered
722 Posts
The oil cooler itself pays 1.5 hours if I remember correctly.

Additional cost could have been added to try to clean the cooling system out, which can be the hardest part.
At least these are self venting cooling systems, right? I remember spending hours trying to make sure every last air bubble was out of my 951's cooling system and that was a royal pain.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Yeah there's nothing tricky about bleeding these cooling systems. I guess I should have said its the most time consuming part, not necessarily hard though. A lot of flushing with soapy water. They might also have a new thermostat, reservoir or hoses in that price.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Yeah there's nothing tricky about bleeding these cooling systems. I guess I should have said its the most time consuming part, not necessarily hard though. A lot of flushing with soapy water. They might also have a new thermostat, reservoir or hoses in that price.
For two grand in total price I'm thinking every bit of that cooling system better be new. Flushing does sound like a pain in the arse, but even with new hoses, radiator, water pump, thermostat, and oil cooler we're still only looking at $700-$800 in parts. I may be missing something but even with all that 10 hours of labor seems excessive. (Assuming $120/hour is a reasonable going labor rate?)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, since the I posted last, I talked to the service manager at my Volvo dealership. He was quite nice, he explained to me that it was not 50/50 like the advisor said but more more like me at 2/3 and Volvo with 1/3. He said if I were to ask for anything more, Volvo more than likely would pull the offer with me taking the full cost. If I was more ambitious and had a 3rd car, I would maybe do this project on my own, but right now I have a 16 mo. old who's pretty busy and my commute is 1 hour each way so it leaves me little time.

I also thought $1,000 was a bit high, but if I kind of get the feeling that is probably what I'd pay anyways at any other shop for the full work. It sounded like everything was new, minus the radiator.

Thank you again to everyone for their input.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Replacing all that would be over $800 in parts. Who knows what they are quoting though. And even with all that, there's still a lot of flushing involved for the block and heater core.

I've done this once, I don't remember what I charged. There isn't really a labor time because it can vary. I replaced the cooler, removed the thermostat assembly and hollowed it out. Then reinstalled it and flushed the system several times with a mixture of water and degreaser. Then replaced the reservoir, thermostat assembly and upper hose. Then flushed it again with coolant. I had the customer return in about 1000 miles to recheck. Flushed it again at that time and haven't seen the car since.

Edit: I see the OP posted as I was writing this post. That makes more sense now.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Replacing all that would be over $800 in parts. Who knows what they are quoting though. And even with all that, there's still a lot of flushing involved for the block and heater core.

I've done this once, I don't remember what I charged. There isn't really a labor time because it can vary. I replaced the cooler, removed the thermostat assembly and hollowed it out. Then reinstalled it and flushed the system several times with a mixture of water and degreaser. Then replaced the reservoir, thermostat assembly and upper hose. Then flushed it again with coolant. I had the customer return in about 1000 miles to recheck. Flushed it again at that time and haven't seen the car since.
Fair enough, especially if using Volvo branded parts. I was looking at oem brands but not Volvo stamped parts. Aisin water pump, Behr radiator, oil cooler, and thermostat. Admittedly I forgot about the expansion tank and in my (limited) experience expansion tanks are either surprisingly cheap or heart-attack-inducingly expensive.

Not disputing that this is a lot of work, I just had a hard time seeing it as a $2k job. Even at $1.5k it seems high.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts