SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My 2012 S60 started making a loud click noise on cold start and while the engine is cooling down (after the engine is off). The sound ressembles like something knocking on a piece of hard plastic. The car only has 87,000km. The noise appears to come from the top or back of the engine.

Here is a recording of the problem: https://youtu.be/WunRPw3ZSdg

In this video, you can hear the noise at 0:13, 0:17, 0:19, 0:25, 0:35 and 1:01 (most clearly defined) in the video. The noise isn't constant and goes away when the engine is warm. The dealer hasn't been able to pinpoint the source of the problem. Has anybody heard of this issue before?

Thanks,

Martin

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
Never heard anything like that before on mine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have them check the exhaust manifold studs for loose or broken stud. Please report back the findings
How much labor is involved in getting this done? The only option my dealership gave me was to retight all engine bolts which is a 6-hour job with no guarantee that the noise would go away. If I am going to spend $800-1000 on a job, I want to know that it will fix the issue.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
How much labor is involved in getting this done? The only option my dealership gave me was to retight all engine bolts which is a 6-hour job with no guarantee that the noise would go away. If I am going to spend $800-1000 on a job, I want to know that it will fix the issue.
It doesnt sound like an engine knock to me, which would be a huge issue. What have you done to the car recently (oil change etc), because I notice your engine cover is missing, or did you remove it for the video? If its only at startup and cool down, I would say its expansion/contraction of something. Definetly not something I would pay a dealer to check. Find a good independent shop, Im sure retorquing all of the bolts there would be less than $800 freaking dollars.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It doesnt sound like an engine knock to me, which would be a huge issue. What have you done to the car recently (oil change etc), because I notice your engine cover is missing, or did you remove it for the video? If its only at startup and cool down, I would say its expansion/contraction of something. Definetly not something I would pay a dealer to check. Find a good independent shop, Im sure retorquing all of the bolts there would be less than $800 freaking dollars.
The cover is off just for the video. I have a good independent garage I trust. I'll go see them.

Question: am I the only one with this issue? One would think the dealership would have seen this issue before.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
The cover is off just for the video. I have a good independent garage I trust. I'll go see them.

Question: am I the only one with this issue? One would think the dealership would have seen this issue before.
Your the first one I have seen posted here, but that doesnt mean your the only one. $800 sounds like the "We dont want this job" price.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi all,

My 2012 S60 started making a loud click noise on cold start and while the engine is cooling down (after the engine is off). The sound ressembles like something knocking on a piece of hard plastic. The car only has 87,000km. The noise appears to come from the top or back of the engine.

Here is a recording of the problem: https://youtu.be/WunRPw3ZSdg

In this video, you can hear the noise at 0:13, 0:17, 0:19, 0:25, 0:35 and 1:01 (most clearly defined) in the video. The noise isn't constant and goes away when the engine is warm. The dealer hasn't been able to pinpoint the source of the problem. Has anybody heard of this issue before?

Thanks,

Martin
Just checking in here to let you know you're not the only one with this noise. I've had this noise for about a year now - cold start and after shutting the car off. Goes away after car is warm. Sounds like it could be heat expansion / contraction but it is much much louder than usual. Almost like a hammer hitting a piece of sheet metal. Seems to come from somewhere between the engine and firewall on the passenger side.

Left if with the dealer for 2 days, they claimed they didn't hear anything. I went to the dealer and insisted a mechanic listen to it with me present. The mechanic's reaction? WTF? WTF?!! WTF is that noise (yes he was saying the F word loudly in front of my wife and I). The response from the service rep was they would have to contact Volvo and get back to me. Weeks went by with no contact, so I contacted them. They are saying it has to do with the catalytic converter and offered to do nothing. I contacted the service manager, and his response was catalytic converter, nothing they can do. I crawled under the car and the catalytic converter is not on that side of the car, bu the turbo is. Seems the issue is something to do with the turbo / piping / manifold.

I'm done pursuing it. Now I have a car that will be hard to sell should I want to. Potential buyer will wonder what the noise is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just checking in here to let you know you're not the only one with this noise. I've had this noise for about a year now - cold start and after shutting the car off. Goes away after car is warm. Sounds like it could be heat expansion / contraction but it is much much louder than usual. Almost like a hammer hitting a piece of sheet metal. Seems to come from somewhere between the engine and firewall on the passenger side.

Left if with the dealer for 2 days, they claimed they didn't hear anything. I went to the dealer and insisted a mechanic listen to it with me present. The mechanic's reaction? WTF? WTF?!! WTF is that noise (yes he was saying the F word loudly in front of my wife and I). The response from the service rep was they would have to contact Volvo and get back to me. Weeks went by with no contact, so I contacted them. They are saying it has to do with the catalytic converter and offered to do nothing. I contacted the service manager, and his response was catalytic converter, nothing they can do. I crawled under the car and the catalytic converter is not on that side of the car, bu the turbo is. Seems the issue is something to do with the turbo / piping / manifold.

I'm done pursuing it. Now I have a car that will be hard to sell should I want to. Potential buyer will wonder what the noise is.
Hi RChawls,

Thanks for your chime. Sounds like you have the exact same thing I do. Do you drive a T6 AWD? What year? Have you seen any changes in terms of performance or anything else since the sound started? I have not but then again, the noise only started a few weeks back. Did you ever have mice crawl in the engine compartment? I had some and I wonder if there wouldn't be a correlation. The only apparent damage is a cable cover that was chewed on the driver side of the engine. I will definitively keep you posted if I find anything.

Martin

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi RChawls,

Thanks for your chime. Sounds like you have the exact same thing I do. Do you drive a T6 AWD? What year? Have you seen any changes in terms of performance or anything else since the sound started? I have not but then again, the noise only started a few weeks back. Did you ever have mice crawl in the engine compartment? I had some and I wonder if there wouldn't be a correlation. The only apparent damage is a cable cover that was chewed on the driver side of the engine. I will definitively keep you posted if I find anything.

Martin
Mine's a 2012 T6 AWD (pretty sure all US MY 2012 T6's were AWD). No loss in performance, the engine burns little to no oil. Funny you should ask - Yes, I did have a mouse get up under the plastic engine cover and chew a bunch of the foam out of there. Little monster had just started on some wires when I found him and was able to fix those without issue. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine's a 2012 T6 AWD (pretty sure all US MY 2012 T6's were AWD). No loss in performance, the engine burns little to no oil. Funny you should ask - Yes, I did have a mouse get up under the plastic engine cover and chew a bunch of the foam out of there. Little monster had just started on some wires when I found him and was able to fix those without issue. Good luck! :)
I had another mechanic look at the issue and he confirmed the problem to be an expansion issue between the exhaust manifold (made of steel) and the block (made of aluminium). No impact to performance or anything else. He suggested to live with the problem as it is a 10 hour job to fix for a cosmetic issue.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had another mechanic look at the issue and he confirmed the problem to be an expansion issue between the exhaust manifold (made of steel) and the block (made of aluminium). No impact to performance or anything else. He suggested to live with the problem as it is a 10 hour job to fix for a cosmetic issue.
10 hour job! Yikes! Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey , same here since two weeks on my V60 T6 2012 78.600KM , i think it`s real , problem to be an expansion issue between the exhaust manifold , but i don't know why the noise came after 78.000KM :roll eyes: before two weeks it was all ok ???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts