SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I was trying to hold off until the next major S60 redesign, but decided to accept a 2016 for a couple years. For me, it was less about the car, and more about my relationship with my local dealership :).

WOW - there are so many little unpublished (I think?) improvements!

To share, here's what I've noticed:

• Handling is COMPLETELY different. It's much more "BMW-esque" - there's more feel, yet it's lighter, and quite a bit more responsive (makes me want to zigzag through a parking lot with one finger :thumbup:) What changed - anyone know?
  • That Drive-E 4 cylinder HAULS BUTT. WOW. I haven't given it wide open throttle yet, but merging onto highways in sport mode is faster than any other Volvo I've owned (see my profile), and the shift transitions are nearly indiscernible compared to my last.
  • Those 3 washer nozzles are amazing!
  • LED "foot well" lights are applauded by my female friends :thumbup:.
  • Volvo On Call mobile connectivity to Sensus Connect - as a software developer, I'm always curious about how these things work. Examining the HTTP traffic with a Fiddler proxy, it appears to be a REST-based service in Sweden..... and it looks extensible from what I've seen so far. I've got some interesting ideas for this!!
  • No more BLIS false positives!
  • There's something different about the glass all around - I think it's coated differently or something.
  • Downfacing LED accent light (mounted next to sunroof switch) is nice.
  • The non-premium sound system's low end was nice on the 2012, but it seems to carry down "a little lower" now - not louder, just a tad bit lower.

Anyone know what "Lane Change Merge Aid" does exactly? Documentation states that it supports the BLIS function, and that it utilizes a sensor behind the rear wheels, but that's about it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
How do you find the seats in the 2016 vs 2012? My wife had a 2015 (or 2016) loaner; the leather, support, and comfort were a serious downgrade. Word is to get back the comfort and quality, you need to upgrade to the sport seats.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
How do you find the seats in the 2016 vs 2012? My wife had a 2015 (or 2016) loaner; the leather, support, and comfort were a serious downgrade. Word is to get back the comfort and quality, you need to upgrade to the sport seats.
Yes the base leather seats are a downgrade from 2011-2013 models; it's as if they took out some cushioning out and the leather feels cheaper (this is also the case for the V60/XC60). But Inscription and Sport Seats are totally fine and what we've learned to love about Volvo seats; Sport seats have a tougher leather in the S60CC/V60CC/XC60 which are quite nice.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
As far as handling goes, I'd expect the tires to be the difference you're noticing. Steering feel actually seems worse to me with the new all-electric power steering system. Tires, however, can greatly affect steering response and the "zippiness" of the vehicles.

Anyone know what "Lane Change Merge Aid" does exactly? Documentation states that it supports the BLIS function, and that it utilizes a sensor behind the rear wheels, but that's about it.
If you put your turn signal on before you change lanes, BLIS will...

1. Flash rapidly if a vehicle is approaching in that lane at a high rate of speed (making is unsafe to change lanes).
2. (Blink? Glow?) steadily until there is an opening for you to move into (good in heavy traffic when you need to focus in front of you while looking for an opening).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do have the base leather, not the sport leather seats - it kinda feels like the seats of the 850 wagon I grew up in :rolleyes:. It's definitely thinner/tighter than previous gen, the map pocket is gone, but there's power lumbar now.

One other thing I've noticed is that on a hard stop, it seems like there's either less nose dive, and (this may sound strange) the body kind of rocks horizontally. In closest comparison, my parents' 2001 XC70 kinda did this when I drove it back in the day.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Are you sure there are seat changes? The parts book shows the seat padding part # is the same on a new car and an older car. While we know the leather has gone through numerous changes over the years, the actually seat shape and padding/support has not changed....according to the parts book. I certainly have never seen or noticed a difference in between any model years.

·
Registered
989 Posts
We had a T5 loaner for about a week and it was the first thing the wife and I noticed. Not sure if it's the material or padding, but it's definitely a different feel for the worse. Still not bad, just not the '12 we had 2 years. After picking up the T5, we drove around in it for about 4 hours and then headed home on a 2 hour trip. Even the seats in the '13 C30 feel a little better...took it to FL from OK with no backside issues.

On the upside, we were very impressed with the little 4cyl. Spunky enough to keep it interesting (in sport mode) and was a pleasure to maneuver in heavy highway traffic. Bravo. That said, getting back into the RD was a "whoa" moment with the rush of power at the flick of the pedal.

Really enjoyed the tech in the 15.5, the nav even took us to our front door! Something the '12 and '15 couldn't manage, total crap nav program prior to 15.5.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
If the shape and padding of the seat is identical, exactly how is the "feel" different?!? The texture of the leather is not going to give you less lumbar support....this seems to be a case of saying there is a difference when there is none. The parts book tells the story.

And Ride S40T, one of my favorite things about my 2013 is the nav system....very well done (certainly not perfect), and better than many other systems for sure. Why does nearly every post you have add in "the nav is crap" some how? My friends always comment about how well it works. I've used about every nav system under the sun...the Volvos works quite well actually, despite it not meeting your expectations. Certainly the nav changed, but he seats in a 2012 compared to a 2016 did not.

·
Registered
989 Posts
If the shape and padding of the seat is identical, exactly how is the "feel" different?!? The texture of the leather is not going to give you less lumbar support....this seems to be a case of saying there is a difference when there is none. The parts book tells the story.

And Ride S40T, one of my favorite things about my 2013 is the nav system....very well done (certainly not perfect), and better than many other systems for sure. Why does nearly every post you have add in "the nav is crap" some how? My friends always comment about how well it works. I've used about every nav system under the sun...the Volvos works quite well actually, despite it not meeting your expectations. Certainly the nav changed, but he seats in a 2012 compared to a 2016 did not.
No, my quote was "total" crap and guess I could back off to just "crap" because it does work after all - just not very well. It will get us there but the grand old "use the straight line distance to navigate to your point" is garbage. Glad yours works great, good for you and your machine. Might be a location issue, maybe other parts of the country it works fine. But in our location when a system can't take me to residential areas that have existed on established roads for over 10 years, that's crap IMO. Not just one or two...many. As well, it's taken us many miles out of the way numerous times both in the 12 and 15 when asking for shortest time. Google and others simple apps blow it away. Seen several threads dedicated to this issue, can't be a surprise. But if you're happy, good! We believe it should be better, end of story.

As for the seats, they're different. Owned a 12 for a few years and thousands of miles in the seats. We hopped into the 15 for about 500 miles, and both of us could tell the difference. Just something we noticed, mentioned it after about an hour in it. Even our shop manager said others have said the same thing and he was also perplexed due to no perceived changes. Gotta be something.

And my Edit: Like I said, we found the 15.5 to be very accurate and took us to the front door. No issues navigating Tulsa (which is a travesty of roads) and scooted around our town of 40,000 with ease. Seems they finally found a vendor to give them a quality product. I like the new stuff!

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
The leather may be harder which will definitely affect the comfort because it won't flex as easily until it's broken in.

The new leather may actually be better in regards to durability, but may require more break in to get comfortable.

I've only sat in brand new ones, so not fair to judge. It feels cheaper, though. That's all I can say.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Currently own a MY2012 T5 (see my other thread about worth keeping it) and I had a 2015 loaner for about a week while my car was in the shop. I wasn't happy. Nothing got my attention, except maybe the "foot well" lights. It doesn't have the masculine look and feel of the 2012 model. The engine sounds wimpy and the handling like a cheap corolla - you don't get the sense that the car has a solid/stable front. The dashboard illumination digital gimmicks/stuff seemed also cheap to me (maybe a matter of a personal taste) - at first it's cool and then you get bored with it in a day or two. I agree about the seats thing with the others too - it felt way too cheap.

Did I say felt "cheap" enough times?

n

·
Registered
167 Posts
When you have the chance, compare the MY11/12/13/14 seats to the ones in MY15 onwards. You will notice that the seats from MY15 have different stitching. I must say, after sitting in a 2015 V60, I find the seats in my 2013 S60 to be more supportive.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Pretty perplexing people find difference, as the ONLY change is leather coverings. The parts book clearly shows this. That's why it must be a perception issue, as the softness or bolstering is identical on all model years. I had a new S60 for a loaner....the seats are the same as my 2013.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts