SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a VM to schedule a service visit to take care of 2 recalls on my 2012 S60 that I just purchased end of June. Anybody know what this might be about?

--jd

·
Registered
35 Posts
1 will be for the wiring harness under the drivers side seat. Not sure about the other one...

·
Registered
22 Posts
It depends on when your car was built. If it was after February, 2012, then all recalls should have been taken care of already. One is probably not even a recall, it's a Sensus software update. I was told it was a recall, but it really isn't. Call Volvo CUstomer Care and find out. They're very friendly and helpful.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
That's an older one. Don't they fix those things when the cars are on the lot or is it normal to wait until the cars are sold to catch them up?

Update: Build date of my car 12/2011

·
Registered
22 Posts
They SHOULD fix them when they are on the lot. I know that my S60 was checked for the undercoating recall while at the dealer. My dealer, Berberian, has been quick to notify me of any issues.

·
Registered
41 Posts
last night I received 2 separate recall notices for my 2012 S60 - both having to do with the A/C. one to fix the growling noise by changing the thermal expansion valve and the other regarding potential A/C compressor oil leakage.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Mine was just in for the 7500 Mile service; dealer checked for recalls (listed on job sheet) with no hits.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Mine was just in for the 7500 Mile service; dealer checked for recalls (listed on job sheet) with no hits.
How long did that service work take David? Did you get the tires rotated? What was the charge for that service?

·
Registered
35 Posts
last night I received 2 separate recall notices for my 2012 S60 - both having to do with the A/C. one to fix the growling noise by changing the thermal expansion valve and the other regarding potential A/C compressor oil leakage.
My A/C compressor had to be replaced at the 7500 mile service for an oil leak. Of course, was covered under warranty, so no charge. But a disappointing failure so early in ownership...

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
How long did that service work take David? Did you get the tires rotated? What was the charge for that service?
I was out in under 90 minutes (including Sensus update which is supposed to take an hour). I'll rotate my own tires, only takes 10 minutes and I get to gaze at the mechanical engineering underneath.

The only charge was to upgrade to synthetic oil and I was given a rebate coupon (with envelope already addressed): $24 before rebate.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I was out in under 90 minutes (including Sensus update which is supposed to take an hour). I'll rotate my own tires, only takes 10 minutes and I get to gaze at the mechanical engineering underneath.

The only charge was to upgrade to synthetic oil and I was given a rebate coupon (with envelope already addressed): $24 before rebate.
Just curious.........what was your thinking to go synthetic? That means you will be forever synthetic, right???

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Just curious.........what was your thinking to go synthetic? That means you will be forever synthetic, right???
I want to keep the car a long time. I've read that traditional oil can coke-up (carbon deposit) the turbo.

I look at it as cheap insurance.

I ran the Motorcraft 5w-20 synth in my 2001 Mercury Sable -- 178,000 miles with no engine problems; I'm curious to see how many more miles my cousin will get out of it.

I also change before the factory interval.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I want to keep the car a long time. I've read that traditional oil can coke-up (carbon deposit) the turbo.

I look at it as cheap insurance.

I ran the Motorcraft 5w-20 synth in my 2001 Mercury Sable -- 178,000 miles with no engine problems; I'm curious to see how many more miles my cousin will get out of it.

I also change before the factory interval.
I, too, am planning on this car lasting a looooooog time. I may follow your lead!!! Thanks for the heads up.....

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm using Castrol 0W30 European Formula (AKA German Castrol) this is a true synthetic.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
is volvo still doing those stupid 7500 mile oil change intervals on less than synthetic oil?

·
Registered
1,907 Posts

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
is volvo still doing those stupid 7500 mile oil change intervals on less than synthetic oil?
For MY12 it was semi-synth by default. $24 (with $20 rebate) for upgrade to full synth. I had it done last week.

·
Registered
82 Posts
For MY12 it was semi-synth by default. $24 (with $20 rebate) for upgrade to full synth. I had it done last week.
How did you get the rebate coupon? I took mine in for the 7500 mile service and upgraded to synthetic. They charged me $46 and I did not get a rebate coupon. :(

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
How did you get the rebate coupon? I took mine in for the 7500 mile service and upgraded to synthetic. They charged me $46 and I did not get a rebate coupon. :(
The counter guy told me about it, handed me the coupon. This is in suburban Philadelphia PA.

With a couple of google searches, I found the rebate coupon: http://cdnmedia.endeavorsuite.com/i...b02c/Castrol_OC-june2012.pdf?v=20120605132734

$46 for the full synth upgrade is a bit of a ripoff, I think that's the general-public price (not including the safe&secure). My receipt shows a net-cost calculation ("oil change with semi-synth included, upgrade 6 qt semi synth @-$X/quart, full synty @$+Y/quart, net price $24").

1 - 20 of 20 Posts