SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than upgrading the rear anti sway bar and upgrading the tires to 235/45 R17 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, there seems to be no aftermarket support for adding horsepower. Polestar said they have no tunes... I'd like to be around 275+ and get my 0-60 around 6.5 or under.

Any U.S. Help?

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
That's because there's already a "tune" on the engine -- the overboost and Sport mode.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Other than upgrading the rear anti sway bar and upgrading the tires to 235/45 R17 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, there seems to be no aftermarket support for adding horsepower. Polestar said they have no tunes... I'd like to be around 275+ and get my 0-60 around 6.5 or under.

Any U.S. Help?
Spend your money on bigger wheels first. Appearance alone with net you 25 hp of respect. ;)

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
You could do an exhaust upgrade (VIVA, KPAX & Heico) to your T5 motor, but not sure who has a tune (possibly contact VIVA or Heico about other vendors with tunes). You have several suspension upgrades out there like springs, sway bars, chassis braces and Heico has a full suspension upgrade. I believe the S60 T5 FWD (5cyl.) is suppose to be 6.2sec 0-60mph; and the AWD version is suppose to be the same (+/- 0.1). Definitely not a slouch and plenty of pep in it's step!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
You could do an exhaust upgrade (VIVA, KPAX & Heico) to your T5 motor, but not sure who has a tune (possibly contact VIVA or Heico about other vendors with tunes). You have several suspension upgrades out there like springs, sway bars, chassis braces and Heico has a full suspension upgrade. I believe the S60 T5 FWD (5cyl.) is suppose to be 6.2sec 0-60mph; and the AWD version is suppose to be the same (+/- 0.1). Definitely not a slouch and plenty of pep in it's step!
That only applies to 2013+ model years with an updated inline 5 engine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seat of the pants makes me think it's right at 7 seconds...
I have two auto enthusiast friends, one with a Ford Focus St and the other with a 3 series BMW... They both do track days at Buttonwillow and Laguna Seca and laughed when I said I might join them.... I'd like to go a couple times and have the S60 hold its own for what it is.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Seat of the pants makes me think it's right at 7 seconds...
I have two auto enthusiast friends, one with a Ford Focus St and the other with a 3 series BMW... They both do track days at Buttonwillow and Laguna Seca and laughed when I said I might join them.... I'd like to go a couple times and have the S60 hold its own for what it is.
A S60 trying to keep up with a Focus ST and BMW 3 series is next to impossible in my opinion. You'll get hit with brake fade and the mass causing severe understeer faster than you can say Corkscrew. If you really want to hold your own against them, I'd consider doing the following:

Michelin Pilot Super Sports
Big brake fit of some sort. Polestar? R-Design?
Upgraded suspension and sway bar.

The reason the engine can't be tuned is because it is already at its limits due to the tiny turbo.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm actually glad to hear you say that. I was looking at both the Michelin PSS or possibly the Goodyear Eagle F1 assymetrical and the rear anti sway bar is definitely happening.

I think with tires and sway I can hang with the ST... I almost bought one and drive quite a few before buying the S60. The ST has pretty violent torque steer despite their fancy steering gimmick to overcome it and being front wheel drive, they essentially have it a super stiff rear sway bar to mimic rear drive cars. Yes the volvo is heavier but my volvo scoots and will be a lot more comfortable on road trips.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
That only applies to 2013+ model years with an updated inline 5 engine.
Yet the article I provided a link for the the T5 FWD was from a 2012MY S60 T5 from MotorTrend.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm actually glad to hear you say that. I was looking at both the Michelin PSS or possibly the Goodyear Eagle F1 assymetrical and the rear anti sway bar is definitely happening.

I think with tires and sway I can hang with the ST... I almost bought one and drive quite a few before buying the S60. The ST has pretty violent torque steer despite their fancy steering gimmick to overcome it and being front wheel drive, they essentially have it a super stiff rear sway bar to mimic rear drive cars. Yes the volvo is heavier but my volvo scoots and will be a lot more comfortable on road trips.
Are their cars modified and to what extend?? Indeed.....with tyres and sway bar upgrades. You could probably hang with the Focus ST. Your friends visits the track often and if you do. It will be your first, right?? Well......go more often and watch what other drivers do. Track days are all about practice. I don't mean that if you practice a lot. You can take on a Porsche with a Corolla:D Which 3 Series does your other friend have?? 318i, 320i, etc......Which year is it?? I believe you are able to do more than hang with it:D. The Beemers does handle better stock but HP wise. It's around your ballpark. So........give it a go and keep us updated.

P/S- Forgot to mention that BSR Tuning is another tuning company that you can enquire. Good Luck:thumbup:.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I agree with Geokilla .. Brakes are the weak point BY FAR, if you're gonna track the car. Were it me I would go with EBC yellows all around, along with some high carbon rotors. Forget the drilling/slotting thing . it makes no difference. Be prepared for some dust.

Also if it were me I would try stay out of full throttle for a turn or two before the main straight so you can get the overboost to work down the main straight. I'm not sure how much time you need to "reset" the overboost. It would be nice to know ..

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Pretty sure Shark Performance will do a tune for the P3 2.5L T5:
www.sharkperformance.us
Not sure if they have remote tuning yet... might have to send them your ECU (they are local to me here in MN).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This info is awesome guys thankyou so much. Both guys have stock cars and only go 1-2 times a year. I've never been to a track day but I work in law enforcement and we do high speed drivers training once a month at a local airport. I've become accustomed to how our crown vic's handle speed and cornering as well as our new FWD pursuit rated Ford Explorers (early braking, slightly off the brake into the corner and once tires are mostly headed in the right direction hard acceleration)
The focus is an ST3 with no tune 250hp/ 270TQ and the Beemer has the 240hp turbo 4cyl (I think BMW underrated their #'s)

I will follow up on the leads you've all shared and maybe post some numbers if I can embarrass one of em.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Pretty sure Shark Performance will do a tune for the P3 2.5L T5:
www.sharkperformance.us
Not sure if they have remote tuning yet... might have to send them your ECU (they are local to me here in MN).
Gave them a call today and a great guy answered the phone and told me not yet they don't have a tune for our car :( they said they hope in the future they do :) till then ..

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I agree with Geokilla .. Brakes are the weak point BY FAR, if you're gonna track the car. Were it me I would go with EBC yellows all around, along with some high carbon rotors. Forget the drilling/slotting thing . it makes no difference. Be prepared for some dust.

Also if it were me I would try stay out of full throttle for a turn or two before the main straight so you can get the overboost to work down the main straight. I'm not sure how much time you need to "reset" the overboost. It would be nice to know ..
I thought overboost was introduced in the 2013 model year when they also upped the compression
ratio and reduced internal friction.

·
Registered
151 Posts
According the sales manual with my 2012 S60 T5, it does indeed have overboost. From a dead stop it's good to about 87-90 mph or so and you can really feel it when it goes away. The thing I would like to know is, how long do we have to wait to be able to use it again. Overboost doesn't raise the HP but does raise the torque to around 300 ft lbs, as I remember it.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Gave them a call today and a great guy answered the phone and told me not yet they don't have a tune for our car :( they said they hope in the future they do :) till then ..
I think we shouldn't expect anything for the P3 engines. Only tunes out there are Polestar for the T6 inline 6, and RICA for the T5 Driv-E. Volvo "nerfed" the tuning for its latest engines.

I thought overboost was introduced in the 2013 model year when they also upped the compression ratio and reduced internal friction.
2012 has overboost. It lasts for 10 seconds.

·
Registered
565 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
NOTHING for the NEW S60 T5 or T6! Might be great if you have an older car.
Nope there is!! No T5's yet but T6's is already up and running. Significant HP hike but torque is enormous;)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts