SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, I have a 2012 Volvo S60 T5 that has 122,000 miles on it. I have always taken it to Volvo for service, maintenance and have had no issues in the 4 years I've owned the car until now...

My last oil change was at 113000 and U was a 1500 miles over on my oil change. No issues, no low oil light on and then my check engine light came on a werk ago and it turned off. We checked my oil on the dipstick after the car had cooled down on Sunday and it appeared to have no oil on it and looked like sludge and metal shavings. My husband put 4 quarts of Castrol 5w30 in to get me by and I called Volvo Monday AM and it was in the shop by Tuesday AM.
Told my service manager the scoop, and he has always been awesome btw. He mentioned there was a recall on my car regarding the low oil pressure indicator not coming on and it most likely triggered the check engine indicator. He said, no big deal just have to go to full synthetic, they updated the program, changed my oil and he said it was full but not a big deal since it was only a day. He said everything else is fine is with the car, and I went on my way.
Last night, on my way home from Volvo, I drove it 10 miles on highway, parked it, ate dinner and we left. I was on the highway running 80 mph when my engine started skipping, growling and ticking like it was about to blowup. No lights came on at all. I got it home about 20 miles away and when I pulled in my husband could hear me coming down the road it was so loud.

We parked it, having it flat bedded to the dealership 30 miles away and I called Volvo service manager. Waiting for a call back now, but my research on this so far isn't looking promising.

Any advice as I move forward with Volvo on this?

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
This is definitely unfortunate and sounds like a serious issue. The fact that you've been doing everything at the dealer is good.
I do remember doing the oil pressure recall a long time ago. The fact that they did not address it at the time plays to your advantage.
Some of the 2012 T5 engines do have an oil consumption issue and many of us here have had the issue addressed. Check out this thread.
Were you in the habit of periodically checking the oil? If so, did you even notice it going down?

It sounds like you'll need a new engine.
You have a very good case for Volvo paying for the entire thing since it is related to the recall they did not fix and possibly the oil consumption issue.

Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply Almaz. And to answer, no I haven't ever checked the oil periodically. And really, I thought this car tells me when I have a headlight out, surely it would tell me I have no oil in the car. Maybe I took it for granted, but I guess part of the reason I did buy a Volvo was for the safety and reliability, and low maintenance costs. I've had zero issues to date until the check engine light came on and I went over my 7500 service by 1500 miles. My husband checked the oil because he changes his own Chrysler religiously every 3000 miles....so when I said Im over 9000 miles since my last oil change, he looked at me like I was nuts. 😂

My car is on its way to Volvo now, so I'm hoping that they will do right by me. I've always had a good experience with the local dealership and felt like they have been fair with me each time Ive been there. The last time I had the car in the engine was starting hard like it would hesitate and they did their diagnostics, said nothing was there to correct. I'm wondering if that was the beginning of the end and just wasn't aware then.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks for sharing the other thread.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
PM'd.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Thank you for the reply Almaz. And to answer, no I haven't ever checked the oil periodically. And really, I thought this car tells me when I have a headlight out, surely it would tell me I have no oil in the car. Maybe I took it for granted, but I guess part of the reason I did buy a Volvo was for the safety and reliability, and low maintenance costs. I've had zero issues to date until the check engine light came on and I went over my 7500 service by 1500 miles. My husband checked the oil because he changes his own Chrysler religiously every 3000 miles....so when I said Im over 9000 miles since my last oil change, he looked at me like I was nuts. ?

My car is on its way to Volvo now, so I'm hoping that they will do right by me. I've always had a good experience with the local dealership and felt like they have been fair with me each time Ive been there. The last time I had the car in the engine was starting hard like it would hesitate and they did their diagnostics, said nothing was there to correct. I'm wondering if that was the beginning of the end and just wasn't aware then.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks for sharing the other thread.
I had the EXACT same issue. The difference is that I got the oil pressure software update but it still made no difference. The car quickly ran out of oil due to the defect and got damaged to the point that it was making a ticking/clicking noise. If Volvo tells you you're out of luck, keep fighting. I have a feeling they will take care of you but if I've seen one thing that's frustrating, it's been inconsistency specifically in how they handle THIS issue.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Hope it all works out for you. There are a number of threads regarding the oil consumption on the 2012 T5. If the dealer can't help, make sure to get something going with Volvo North America.

On a side note...does your husband know about your boyfriend?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mssmith, lol too funny.....I call him my husband or boyfriend ? but, they're definitely the same guy.

Funny u said that bc he asked me the same when he read my post.... "You have a husband u forgot to tell me about" ?? I said boyfriend sounds like we are in high school!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Mssmith, lol too funny.....I call him my husband or boyfriend ? but, they're definitely the same guy.

Funny u said that bc he asked me the same when he read my post.... "You have a husband u forgot to tell me about" ?? I said boyfriend sounds like we are in high school!
Glad I could put a smile on your face.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
There is a chance they will help you, but the possibility is there that since you never checked the oil they may not and consider it negligence, even though its a known issue. If they don't help they will try to sell you a new engine for north of $8,000. Someone here had a used engine installed for around $3800 by an independent.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?279889-Desparate/page2

Edit: not $2500 it was $3800, added thread link.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
If worse comes to worst and VNA refuses to help $2500 is not too bad for an engine considering it will save the value of the car.
Does anyone know if a 2013 engine will work for a 2012?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
If worse comes to worst and VNA refuses to help $2500 is not too bad for an engine considering it will save the value of the car.
Does anyone know if a 2013 engine will work for a 2012?
I think that was discussed in the same tread and the verdict was no because of the new compression ratio for '13

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Darn. Those cars are so sensitive anymore.
You used to be able to drop a V8 in a Volvo 240 :)
With enough money you can put a '13 T5 in there, its just not cost effective :)

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
From post #405 on this thread by troach:

I just verified that there is a TSB for my car (there might be more as I am still digging). It's for engine code 62, chassis range (last 6 of the VIN) between 0017819-0170117 and a structure week between 201046-201219 (I have a 201112).

The piston rings need to be replaced and once done, synthetic oil must be used after. I need to find what date it was posted. I am willing to bet bees had the same EXACT issue based on the piston ring replacement (which didn't seem to work anyway and ended up with a new engine replacement in the end).

I am still waiting to hear back from my mechanic on what he specifically replaced. I know he didn't touch any piston rings.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.