SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hate to have my first post be a problem, but here it is:

I’ve had this 2012 S60 T5 since new - 9 years and 78K miles trouble free. Passed it down to my son, and we finally had an issue. He was taking a turn into a parking lot, just moved from sport mode to drive, and lost power. Put it back into sport and said it started moving along again, but didn’t quite feel right. Then the CEL started flashing and he could smell fuel. Parked it in a stall, shut it down and popped the hood, and saw a little dark smoke and strong fuel smell. It cranks fine, but would not start again.

Towed it home and left it overnight - still no start. Checked codes with a cheap code reader (waiting on a better one to arrive), and its showing just one code: P0305 - cylinder 5 misfire.

Checked for spark on cylinder 5. Plug looks horrible, but its still sparking. Lots of fuel sitting in the cylinder. Didn’t get further than that today.

I’m aware of the oil consumption issues and we’ve been careful to keep oil in it. Coolant level looks good too. Still, planning to check compression just to be sure, along with ignition on the other cylinders, before moving on to the fuel injectors.

Right now, I’m thinking the injector got stuck open on number 5, but not sure that would cause a no-start issue. Any thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I wouldn't know of any other way that fuel could pool in a cylinder other than an injector that's really leaking bad.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. I was thinking same - especially since he was smelling gas while engine was still running. But we were cranking it for a while after as well, so not sure if the flooding was simply from that alone. Seems like the most likely scenario though. Will be doing more investigation today and will update the post. Searching around the forums last night, seems like stuck open injectors are not too uncommon in this engine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just closing the loop on this one. Definitely a stuck open injector - could blow air clean through it. Other four were still tight, but replaced them all, along with plugs. Such a simple job on this car. FCP Euro prices on the injectors were only $26 each - half the price of most other places and 1/5th the price of the dealers. Good video by another DIY mechanic on youtube:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts