SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Volvo S60 engine stalled a couple days ago. It was caused by low oil. I have been getting low oil pressure lights on sharp turns especially when I go downhill and turn. I had just added a couple litres of oil like 10 days ago. Volvo says the engine needs to be scrapped. I have no warranty whatsoever.

I went to the dealership they are asking for $12K for a new engine replacement - not sure if that was before labor. I asked them to look into an used engine replacement and send me quotes for both on Monday.

I was reaching out to you folks for some advice.

1) What should I do? I am even thinking about... just scrapping the car. :( Hurts to think about. That is what my wife is leaning towards. I might get the job done through an independent mechanic that I know if I can find an affordable motor.

2) I was looking online and it's difficult to find T5 engines, much easier to find T6. My main question that I can't seem to find a straight answer to is can I put a T6 engine in a T5. Basically, my engine is: 2.5L, B5254T5 engine, turbo. Could I put in a 3.0L B6304T4 engine, turbo.

3) If not a 2.5L, B5254T5 engine what other engines are compatible with my vehicle?

Thanks for your help guys. Long time lurker - never thought I'd be on here asking for advice regarding an engine replacement. :(

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
If you want to keep the car, you should be able to get a decent engine with about 50-70K miles on it for about $2,000. Check out www.car-part.com.
Find a good indy to do the work as the dealer will find any reason not to put in a used engine plus the labor rates are outrageous. And there is no reason to believe hey will warranty the work if anything goes wrong.

Reactions: ieatglue

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you want to keep the car, you should be able to get a decent engine with about 50-70K miles on it for about $2,000. Check out www.car-part.com.
Find a good indy to do the work as the dealer will find any reason not to put in a used engine plus the labor rates are outrageous. And there is no reason to believe hey will warranty the work if anything goes wrong.
Can I put a Si6 engine in there? The availability of T5 engines very limited. Apparently, they have an oil consumption issue that causes seizures that Volvo refuses to admit.

·
Registered
607 Posts
My understanding from posts on this very forum is that Volvo has been rebuilding 2012 T5 engines with poorly designed piston rings, i.e., oil guzzlers, at their own expense. Someplace around here is a reference to the tech journal that lists the serial numbers that are covered by this program. It sounds like your dealer is unaware of this program.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I think that the advice you were given by vroomr is valid. See another dealer and do a claim to replace the engine by Volvo. They may not be able to replace the rings but can replace the engine. Unless of course there are other circumstances we are not aware of.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Do NOT put an SI6 engine in. The T5 is the best Volvo had, other than the batch of 2012s. Get a used one outside of the serial number range at issue and drive on. I have an SI6 XC60 I'm getting prepared to upgrade to T5. But yes, try to get Volvo to do it if you got one of the bad ones. At least free engine, maybe you pay labor.

But how did this happen? As soon as the light comes on, you should have stopped and checked it. My wife's non-turbo 850 GLT had the light flicker on in turns and was 4 quarts down. We topped it up and drove it another 50,000+ miles, trading it in still running fine.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Thank you man. I think it is too late for piston rings to be replaecd as the engine is seized and needs to be replaced. Any idea if I can replace it with a SI6 Engine?
It's not too late. Volvo is aware they are about to get a lot of complaints on this issue once these 2012 T5s get up in mileage. It is a known issue...see this thread:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?227512-2012-T5-S60-Oil-Guzzler-and-No-Warning!

If I were you I would first at least try to make some noise at the dealer. But I've heard that only works on a case by case basis had you documented your issue before the engine ceased. It may be too late...but you never know..it's worth a shot. I've got the same issue on my 2012 S60 T5 oil burner which I dump 1.5 quarts into every 1500 miles till the next oil change. I tried all synthetic oil a few times but it was useless...back to dumping 5W30 and regular gas and driving this T5 like it's been stolen.

I refuse to go back to the dealer as they charge way too much for their services. If making noise doesn't work ask around for indie shop mechanics that specialize in Volvo or euro cars. You may be able to find a salvaged T5 sitting in a junkyard somewhere..still better than getting rid of a car worth about $10,000.

My T5 was my wife's and she babied it...can't say the same for myself as I drive this T5 like it's been stolen. Great torque, nice comfy seats and decent road feel (may get IPD swaybars). The T5 is a legend...don't get rid of it. Still a good car. But I choose to avoid the dealer whenever possible. I've seen a few Polestar S60s...these T5s have some of that DNA...cool car.

Volvo announcing a 2012 S60 T5 recall would be my dream (yeah...keep dreaming)...then I would go back to them...to get a new engine. Replacing the piston rings on these 2012s seems to be a solution..I just hate going to the dealer. I am still in denial and still dump oil between oil changes.... $20 a 5 quart jug guzzler...every 5000-6000 miles depending on how much of a maniac I am when I drive it.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
No! Pursue this with Volvo. Maybe you'll prevail, maybe you won't, but you won't know unless you try. If not a free replacement engine, maybe there'll be some accommodation.
Agreed! Open a case. Also do not pay $11,000 for a new engine. A decent independent shop should be able to find one for around $2k and probably about that much to put it in.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Myself and many others on this forum have hit this issue and had a new engine put in at the expense of Volvo.
After much reservation I took your advice and brought it in to the dealer. Got it documented, paper trail started. No charge so far. Was advised by dealer to take it back when the "the light comes on" which for me will probably be in about 1500 miles. Dealer told me case has been opened with VCNA.

·
Registered
144 Posts
After much reservation I took your advice and brought it in to the dealer. Got it documented, paper trail started. No charge so far. Was advised by dealer to take it back when the "the light comes on" which for me will probably be in about 1500 miles. Dealer told me case has been opened with VCNA.
The "light" in the 2012 is a Low Oil Pressure warning, not a low oil level warning. If it comes on, you are basically screwed unless you pull over immediately and turn the engine off. Instead, check your oil level with your dipstick every 500 miles.

·
Registered
753 Posts
The "light" in the 2012 is a Low Oil Pressure warning, not a low oil level warning. If it comes on, you are basically screwed unless you pull over immediately and turn the engine off. Instead, check your oil level with your dipstick every 500 miles.
Use your dipstick to check for it. I would check it every single day.
I have had nightmares about this. That light flash for a split second is inadequate warning. Car should go into limp home mode to prevent engine seizure. I'm surprised a $40,000 car doesn't at least blink vigorously, have an "add oil" warning or something. In the meantime, of course there is always the dipstick. There was an "oil sensor" recall on this which dealer did, problem is the light flash goes away and does not stay illuminated on the dash. Poor, inadequate warning and no safety feature to prevent engine damage.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I have had nightmares about this. That light flash for a split second is inadequate warning.
This is the same type of warning that's been deployed since the birth of the internal combustion engine. Agreed it's inadequate, that's why they're called "idiot lights". It's flicker behavior is in direct response to actual pressure since it is a simple switch. Initially this switch didn't even trigger the oil pressure light at all. That's what the recall fixed. Agreed a $40k car should have implemented this differently. Ironically there is an oil level sensor on this engine, at least there is on mine. It is located on the bottom of the oil pan but there is no wiring to it! Item 23 in this picture.
https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=236419&ukey_product=1110538

Volvo's double whammy with this design, Having a non-functioning oil pressure warning, and deciding to not connect the oil level sensor, all on an engine that turns out to be a oil burner!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have had nightmares about this. That light flash for a split second is inadequate warning. Car should go into limp home mode to prevent engine seizure. I'm surprised a $40,000 car doesn't at least blink vigorously, have an "add oil" warning or something. In the meantime, of course there is always the dipstick. There was an "oil sensor" recall on this which dealer did, problem is the light flash goes away and does not stay illuminated on the dash. Poor, inadequate warning and no safety feature to prevent engine damage.
There is actually another TSB on the oil warning light needing a software update. There was mention of it being a safety issue because the engine could seize if it runs out of oil while you're driving on a busy road such as an interstate. That update didn't do anything for me.

EDIT : I see eco cited that in his message above.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Volvo's double whammy with this design, Having a non-functioning oil pressure warning, and deciding to not connect the oil level sensor, all on an engine that turns out to be a oil burner!
There is actually another TSB on the oil warning light needing a software update. There was mention of it being a safety issue because the engine could seize if it runs out of oil while you're driving on a busy road such as an interstate. That update didn't do anything for me.
An "Oil Level Sensor", wish I had that. I guess the "Oil Pressure Sensor" malfunctioning behavior was somewhat corrected by the recall, but again light only flashes for a second or less. Better than nothing. Now that I'm documented with VCNA I'll see what dealer says in a month or so.

Speaking to a mechanic yesterday was told that continuing to add oil is not the way to go. Eventually other issues such as contamination of catalytic converter, spark plugs or O2 sensor may result. All of this I was told by a Volvo rep was done to increase fuel economy as more emissions of oil take place.

Getting approval for a piston ring job or engine replacement is my only chance with this car. Will see in about a month.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.