SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The turbo overboost certainly aids acceleration while driving at speed, but what about from a standstill?

Would the quickest acceleration times (0 to 60 mph) be obtained while in fully automatic "D or "S" mode, or perhaps by manually shifting from 1st to 2nd to 3rd gear (perhaps 60mph can be achieved while still in 2nd gear?)

I haven't gotten out a stop watch yet, but it seems to me that manually shifting (with precision) would result in the quickest possible times, as one could maximize the RPMs.
Or is this overcome with lower shift points, but max torque with the overboost feature?

I suspect it is all academic, and a 0 to 60 run (while fully stomping on the accelerator) would be virtually the same under the three options...

Curious as to persons thoughts and/or experience.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I have been waiting to see an answer to this from someone who knows, but sadly no one has yet!

·
Administrator
55,932 Posts
According to Volvo, the best performance comes from Sport mode.

2012 is 6.8 sec to 60 for FWD
2013 is 6.4 sec to 60 for FWD

The 2013 transmission programming has improved shifts in Sport mode by .2 secs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I do not have an issue with torque steer in my FWD T5. I do not find it noticeable at all when I push the car. However, this is a very subjective subject and it would be best for you to test drive the car to determine if it is an issue for you

·
Registered
305 Posts
I think its been proven time and time again that no matter how well you shift, you cant outdo a well engineered auto

Yep, sent from my rooted, rommed Galaxy Nexus....

·
Registered
305 Posts
I should reiterate, i meant as far as shift speed. Doesnt necessarily mean 0-60 times due to the drivetrain loss associated with rhe auto

Yep, sent from my rooted, rommed Galaxy Nexus....

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
I've driven a few different S60 T5's and basically drive them around in sport mode constantly and floor it at every single light because I'm mature and responsible like that. These vehicles did not have the dynamic package, and torque steer was nothing difficult to handle. It was noticeable however, and I should note I've spent a fair amount of time behind the wheel of a turbocharged '95 850.

·
Registered
219 Posts
As tested, the sport mode makes the gear changing more responsive and harder than the normal mode. The "S" mode turns the volvo to be a wild animal :D

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
The car automatically upshifts in sport mode, so no need to shift it yourself.

There's a lot of wheelspin in gear 1 when I'm having fun from toll booths. Usually can't go all out until gear 2 :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts