SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new member here have a 2012 that falls within the known oil consumption TJ and has 70k miles. Noticed the oil pressure light on (flickered) checker oil and it was bone dry.

Did my own oil change after to verify if improperly filled and was missing 3 quarts (out of 6) went to dealer and did the 1000 mile test and they now have car waiting for approval. It’s been a week and got status that an inspector will come to verify repair work needed and “hopefully” approve the work.

Any thoughts here and/or other members that have gone through the process describe the process would be helpful. I am concerned on the visit for someone from Volvo to verify work?

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Do you have an extended warranty? Are you in the US?

I've never had anyone come to check anything on a straight goodwill repair.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your input Tech, has anyone gone through this piston ring replacement process? Why would someone inspect if there is a TJ and car has been confirmed to consume oil?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Some warranty companies send someone out for any claim over a certain dollar amount. They might just be making sure there are no external leaks first. I really wouldn't be concerned, it's pretty normal.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Do all 2012 s60 t5's develope this consumption problem?. If the answer is no, Anyone here have an answer as to why they would not and others did ?.
On a smaller note, what's gonna be my chances that volvo will " fix" mine if my 2012 does this. It was purchased used from a volvo dealership, maintained by them until the standard warranty ran out, then maintained by me, currently 56,000 miles.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
No, the don't all develop this problem. The rings I've done have been all gummed up, so I'd guess cars that have done mostly short trips would be more likely to develop the problem. Using the incorrect oil doesn't help, so those who didn't change to the updated spec quickly (or didn't listen after the recall updating the owner's manual) will probably have the problem as well.

Goodwill is case by case. Being the second owner and not maintaining it at the dealer won't help from what I've seen. I would suggest at least buying the filter from the dealer, keep records and receipts and make sure you are using the correct spec oil.

·
Registered
524 Posts
thanks....i'm a " spec" believer so the car gets maintained as such. Good idea about the filter purchase, except that i'm two changes into it after the last warranty dealer change. It is a short trip car however, fingers crossed. I do change the oil sooner than 5,000, .... Thanks again for the response.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Two oil changes with another filter shouldn't make or break a decision. The filters are probably fine, I just recommending buying from the dealer so you can show you are at least buying your parts from them.

If you are changing every 5k miles you might not notice a consumption problem until it gets really bad.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I check the oil level regularly multiple times between oil changes. I'm old school, in some ways, I don't depend on lights, bells, and whistles. And yep, i understood your filter purchase reasoning, it's a good way to " show" a maintenance record.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now I been taking mine to the dealer since new in 2012 and no dealer told me anything about an updated spec for oil, what is the updated spec?

Also, no dealer informed me about the TJ and requested a consumption test to see if mine was affected. I am disappointed in this as I know the oil extracted had to have been less than the 6.02 quarts the manual states.

Anyways, I am hoping the dealers do the right thing and fix this issue and not get out under some loophole as I noticed the extended VIP does not cover oil consumption as noted:

Burnt valves, worn or carbon fouled piston rings, any mechanical breakdown resulting from a build up of carbon, the correction of oil consumption, or any repairs for reduction in engine efficiency that must be performed on your Volvo.

http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9779/~/vip-platinum-coverage

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What's your VIN? You can PM it if you'd like.
Sorry I don’t have VIN memorized and car is in shop. If it helps the dealer said the oil consumption TJ applied. I am still waiting to see what happens but am a little anxious given from what I understand TJs are not recalls and do not really guarantee anything.

Although my car was meticulously maintained at the dealer, I am still not sure what the outcome will be given someone needs to “approve” something (since I would think the dealer would have already validated the issue).

Anyways I am hoping Volvo does the right thing and fixes the rings/whatever is causing the abnormal oil consumption.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Tech, here is a dumb
question, what would be considered a short trip?
No definite answer, but if the car frequently barely gets to operating temperature that would probably make tje rings coke up. Take it out on the highway and drive it hard from time to time. Get the temp up, get the RPMs up.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No definite answer, but if the car frequently barely gets to operating temperature that would probably make tje rings coke up. Take it out on the highway and drive it hard from time to time. Get the temp up, get the RPMs up.

Tech, any advice on the following plugs?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts