SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 S60 T5, purchased Feb. 2011. An early T5 of new design. 45k miles. Original battery and owner. Car is garaged, has been driven infrequently this summer.

Went to start car today after sitting idle in garage for past week.
Wouldn't start - got wonky messages..... airbag warning, DSTC not working, etc. Initially no cranking whatsoever.
After several tries, opened driver's door. Got message that engine was ON (even tho it wasn't). Closed door, pushed START button, opened door again - message went away.
Tried starting several more times, finally got very weak cranking and engine turned over.
Drove car for good half hour, mostly highway miles, sounded fine. Seems OK now.

Virtually same thing happened last weekend after sitting idle for week.

Given this is a 4.5 yo battery, there's no doubt it needs replacing. Our thinking (hope? lol) is that's causing all this. With insufficient power coming from battery, the start up won't go the way it should hence weird messages.
Did not see a low battery warning message (there's no specific low battery warning in this car, it would come with the "i" messages I believe)

My plan is to drive it daily this week and see how it does before going further.

Thoughts / Opinions??

Can we replace the battery ourselves given the sophisticated electronics? Or are we going to have to take it to dealer to have things reset after a battery change?

TIA

·
Registered
505 Posts
Yeah, all random faults are due to dead battery. If the car is driven infrequently, I would recommend a battery tender. A buddy of mine actually brought a deadish battery back to life with a tender, and I suspect didn't even change it after that, though I highly recommend that you do.

Didn't try to replace a battery myself recently, can't comment.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Mine did similar things a while back. I thought I had a real problem based on the messages I was getting, but since it acted like it just didn't have enough juice to crank, I decided to try jumping it. This worked and everything was fine and has been since. Not positive what drained the battery, though.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Agree with the other 2. I have seen many instances on this site with those symptoms, and its always been a battery.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: Went out this afternoon, battery dead.... couldn't even get the "error" messages like DSCT fail, etc. Put it on the charger for couple hours and barely got it to start so could pull it back into garage. Guess I'll price batteries tomorrow.....:)

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Update: Went out this afternoon, battery dead.... couldn't even get the "error" messages like DSCT fail, etc. Put it on the charger for couple hours and barely got it to start so could pull it back into garage. Guess I'll price batteries tomorrow.....:)

Thanks for your help
I had my battery replaced on my 2012 T5 with the same mileage.
Without going into too much detail, not that there's much anyway, but:

1- There is a Low Battery message the comes up. It stayed on after changing the key fob battery.
2- Dealer replaced car batter for free under warranty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts