SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've got a 2012 s60 t5 with 53,000 miles. I've been taking all my cars to the same guy for inspections (pa.) for decades. He's legit, let's me in the garage when he's inspecting. Anyway, last time for the volvo, the gas cap failed the emission test. There is no code set for the car. I went down to auto zone, bought a $10 cap,brought it back, it passed so all was good. I put the volvo cap back on and it's been driven for 8 months and still no code. My other three cars' caps have also passed.
It's not a big deal obviously,but was just wondering if anyone has any answer. All i can think of is that the tester's computer specification calibration is off for a volvo..

·
Registered
775 Posts
i've got a 2012 s60 t5 with 53,000 miles. I've been taking all my cars to the same guy for inspections (pa.) for decades. He's legit, let's me in the garage when he's inspecting. Anyway, last time for the volvo, the gas cap failed the emission test. There is no code set for the car. I went down to auto zone, bought a $10 cap,brought it back, it passed so all was good. I put the volvo cap back on and it's been driven for 8 months and still no code. My other three cars' caps have also passed.
It's not a big deal obviously,but was just wondering if anyone has any answer. All i can think of is that the tester's computer specification calibration is off for a volvo..
So it's very possible a stored fault was present in the PCM relating to EVAP and caused by the gas cap. At some point, the cap may not have been installed correctly or even at all and an EVAP fault occurred.

I have never had an emissions cert done on a vehicle so I couldn't tell you the first thing about how they function but I assume a stored fault would trigger an alert.

Just a thought.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm sorry, i didn't make it clear. The gas cap is taken off the vehicle for a separate test. It failed that test. I have vida/ dice, no codes in the cem before or since.....just curious....

·
Registered
722 Posts
i'm sorry, i didn't make it clear. The gas cap is taken off the vehicle for a separate test. It failed that test. I have vida/ dice, no codes in the cem before or since.....just curious....
Yeah, I've had that happen too. I think that 9 times out of 10 when the cap fails that off the car test it's because their setup is leaking and not the cap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts