SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have @ 400 miles on my new ride which i am loving. However, the seat bottom appears to be too heavily bolstered. My legs ache after driving more than half an hour. I'm not large or overweight. Is anybody else experiencing this? Also, is there a way to turn off the "passenger airbag is disabled" light? I'd love to hear from other owners!

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Welcome to Swedespeed, Chris and congrats on the 2012 XC60 purchase.

I moved your thread from New Members to invite your fellow XC60 lovers to comment on those seat bottoms.

BTW, do you have access to the online Owner's manual?

Thanks.

George Dill

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I have @ 400 miles on my new ride which i am loving. However, the seat bottom appears to be too heavily bolstered. My legs ache after driving more than half an hour. I'm not large or overweight. Is anybody else experiencing this? Also, is there a way to turn off the "passenger airbag is disabled" light? I'd love to hear from other owners!
The sportier seats are a bit of a concern to me as well. I've been trying to convince myself one way or another on a 'Summer Sales Event' R-Design and the seats are a slight negative for me. Our '10 T6 seats could use a little more side 'grab' and I think the R could use a bit less. For me, the R bolsters don't offer support as much as they just push up on my thighs. I AM overweight, but my rear and thighs are fairly well muscled from years of tennis and cycling, so I don't think my 'seat' is particularly large. I would imagine the bolsters will break in over a time and it's not a deal killer for me...just not perfect. It may be my imagination, but I think our C70 seats are a good combination of comfort and side support.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I also have a 2012 R-Design - currently have approx. 3400 miles on it. I actually find this seat to be more comfortable than I have had in previous vehicles and this is the first SUV that I've had where I don't get what I expect is the leg ache you are getting. I had figured my ache was due to my back problems but I'm now seeing it was likely the seats. I will say I did have some problems initially but after playing with the seat adjustments for awhile, I've found the position where I can now drive for several hours with no pain. When I bought my R-Design, I had initially test driven a T6 and actually felt the seats lacked in side support. The minute I got in the R-Design I felt more secure and comfortable given the side support. Again, what works for one person won't necessarily work for someone else.

On your other question on the airbag light - I can't say for sure but I haven't seen any means to turn off the light - I wouldn't think there would be given the message light also serves a diagnostic purpose when there are issues with the passenger airbag (owner's manual has all that detail).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks George. Where would I find the online manual. I have the published one in the car. I have to spend some time with it...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey Chris.
I feel you. Although I think the R design seats are some of the best I have ever sat in (AMG Benz is a little better), I know what you are going thru. The VW seats in the CC and the Eos/GTI have the same effect on lots of people because of the deep seat bottom bolsters. If you are not sitting in the exact position the seats were designed to be sat in, you end up in pain. If you like to lean your left leg against the door, the bottom seat bolster ends up digging into your thigh. My only help is that you might need to re-learn how to "sit" in these new seats.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm trying to Frank. But it's not happening easily. My X5 4.8 is has comfort sport seats which are incredible. My 2 Mustangs both have sport seats, but the bolsters are further down the seat and don't bother me at all. I keep fiddling with the seat on my 35 mile each way commute to work. The wife has been complaining too. Hopefully, it will get more tolerable as the miles rack up (only have 500 miles so far).

On the flip side, I am really impressed with the new R-Design. The wife wanted a Q5 Audi but since we had liked our XC90 so much we stuck with Volvo. I was driving behind the Audi today and thought that it looked sooooo boring. The Volvo's 325/354 is just a blast to drive. It may be quicker than my X5 with 355/370 because the Volvo has a 600 pound weight advantage.

My R is cosmic white just like yours. The coolest color made! I waxed her on Monday night and was very impressed with the build quality. So much better than all those Korean POS's out there. More later...

·
Registered
837 Posts
My wife complained about the narrow seats (and that's the basic issue...a bit too narrow) when we first got the R, but I just asked her about it and 6K miles later she says it is basically a non-issue. Wouldn't want them any more narrow. The comfort seats on m wife's 530i were sweet though (and my M5's weren't bad either).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, I guess I'm glad it's not just me having issues with the seats in my XC60R. I thought the xtra supple leather would be a good thing over the standard leather seats on the non-R version. But, being vertically challenged at 5 ft 2in, high sitting seats just don't work for me. I really thought I vetted this issue, as I had a Jeep one time that gave me such horrible pain, I dumped it after 3 months, and have mostly been in low-sitting Saab wagons the past 10 years. Anyway, I find, as a woman, if I wear a shoe with about a 2 in. wedge, it helps. I'm also playing with the steering wheel being closer and pulling up the front part of the seat just a bit. Hopefully it will work out. I wish the gas pedal was a bit longer though, for those days when you just want to buzz around town in your flip flops ; )

·
Registered
160 Posts
I think there could be more thigh support but I find them comfy. Now try sitting for 5 hours in my S5 with sports seats.....painful due to the heavy thigh bolstering and lack of cushion.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Our '10 T6 seats were pretty good, although they reminded me of out '04 V70...not particularly supportive bolster-wise, but darned comfy.
All I have to do is remind myself of the day I drove 800 miles in a '91 Miata...;) . All the Volvo seats are plush by comparison. :)
Actually, the R-design seats were one reason we didn't pounce on a '12 R-design this past summer(along with the big wheels and stiffer ride). I'm not gettin' any younger!

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
The seats are very nicely contoured - the only thing I am getting "used" to is the high headrest - it kind feels like my head is getting pushed forward.

Also I still wish the seat could go a bit lower, or tilt more than it is. (I'm probably also still in that stage of "finding" my comfort position)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm convinced the side bolsters on the seat cushion are my main problem. That seam that runs down the sides of the two tone leather digs into the back of my leg and the whole thing just pushes too much into both legs. I'm going to investigate modifying the seat cushion side bolsters at a reputable auto upholstery shop. I've seen online that other folks, with other makes of cars, have done this. Possibly shave them down or have them replaced with something softer, and replace the two tone leather with one piece of quality black leather so there is no seam. If it can be done for under a grand. I'll talk to my dealership first, but these seats are causing me back, hip and leg pain, which sometimes hangs on for hours after I've driven the car. Makes me miss my Saab, for all of its woes. : (

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I'm convinced the side bolsters on the seat cushion are my main problem. That seam that runs down the sides of the two tone leather digs into the back of my leg and the whole thing just pushes too much into both legs. I'm going to investigate modifying the seat cushion side bolsters at a reputable auto upholstery shop. I've seen online that other folks, with other makes of cars, have done this. Possibly shave them down or have them replaced with something softer, and replace the two tone leather with one piece of quality black leather so there is no seam. If it can be done for under a grand. I'll talk to my dealership first, but these seats are causing me back, hip and leg pain, which sometimes hangs on for hours after I've driven the car. Makes me miss my Saab, for all of its woes. : (
Dang woof, sorry about your difficulties with the seats. I wonder if they can be swapped for non-R seats without too much trouble. I'll bet there's a non-R driver out there who would love to have the sporty two-tone for a change. Mayhaps an ad in the classifieds of this and other Volvo forums would get you some direct input from those who've considered/done the swap or would be interested. Might be worth a try. ;)

On the other hand, I frequently use a towel on my seat here in 'hot as blazes central Texas', especially since I wear shorts 10 months of the year. I can tell a significant difference between a plush towel or one that is folded differently to add thickness. Perhaps just a slight mod of the seat itself would 'smooth' things out. Just building up the seat area between the bolsters would likely have the desired effect. In the meantime, try a normal bath towel folded in half or thirds between the bolsters...to hold you until you find a permanent fix.

Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just FYI, for anyone having comfort issues with their R seats in their xc60, I just had mine in a custom auto upholstery shop, hoping to put in some memory foam to make the seat cushion more tolerable for my bad back and hip. The owner took off the seat cover and discovered that with the multitude of technology in the seats alone, he could do nothing for me, unless I was willing to give up seat heaters. Since I don't want to change factory integrity, we just sealed the seat back up, and I'll most likely be trading for a wagon, with considerably squishier seats. Shame.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts