SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems that I've been losing oil for some time. I got a low oil warning. I don't see any obvious oil spots on the driveway or garage, so I don't think it is a straight out leak. I took a closer look at the tail pipes and they look very black, and when reving the engine at standstill, it seems to puff some black smoke at higher revs.

My gut is telling me that it is turbo related. Car has great power, and no issues there. Anything I should look at? I've seen some threads regarding oil return seals or PCV systems. Anything else I can checkout and/or diagnose?

·
Registered
332 Posts
typically oil burning will be a faint blue smoke. how many miles do you have? cars will all use some oil, some more than others. when a pcv clogs (usually 80-150k miles) they can consume more oil and also start oil leaks from seals under too much pressure.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm at 100k kms (about 60k miles). It isn't blue, that's for sure. Its puffs of black smoke under load. I just had the oil changed about 2000kms ago, and had to add 1.5 quarts to get it back up after getting an oil low level light.

My fear is that the main turbo seal may be shot and its dumping oil into the exhaust. However, I'm wondering what the symptoms would be of the turbo return seal and/or PCV failures. I'd hate to have to replace the entire turbo.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I'm at 100k kms (about 60k miles). It isn't blue, that's for sure. Its puffs of black smoke under load. I just had the oil changed about 2000kms ago, and had to add 1.5 quarts to get it back up after getting an oil low level light.

My fear is that the main turbo seal may be shot and its dumping oil into the exhaust. However, I'm wondering what the symptoms would be of the turbo return seal and/or PCV failures. I'd hate to have to replace the entire turbo.
Both of my T6s run very rich and puff black smoke when loaded up. It's normal and likely not related to your oil consumption. It sounds crazy but make certain you allow the oil to drain back for 30 min before checking it and make sure it's completely level.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Don't think it's the turbo.
Sounds like your engine valve stem seals are gone.
What engine do you have?
3.0L T6. I've been reading a lot about this and it seems like many manufacturers are suggesting that oil consumption is "normal". I've read that a quart per 1200miles isn't unusual. That sounds crazy to me!

What are the ramifications (costs) if the valve stem seals were going?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Both of my T6s run very rich and puff black smoke when loaded up. It's normal and likely not related to your oil consumption. It sounds crazy but make certain you allow the oil to drain back for 30 min before checking it and make sure it's completely level.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I've been checking for the last two weeks, always in the morning, so that I get a consistent reading. It hasn't seemed to move much since we added 1.5L of oil after getting the low oil warning. Car pulls fine, so hopefully all is is "normal", but I'm not used to putting in oil between oil changes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I should add, I was mistaken. Oil was changed at 92k kms, and we got the low oil level at 99k kms. So it needed 1.5L after about 7000 kms. Does that sound normal??

·
Registered
7 Posts
According to Volvo cars it is normal, here is the response from Volvo Customer Support:

Dear Mr. K.,

Thank you for allowing me the time to investigate your question with my colleagues in technical support, Sweden.

I have just received an email confirming that the vehicle should not use more that 0.5 litres/1000 km. Any value below this is considered normal for a vehicle with mileage.

I hope that this brings clarity to the matter.

Kind Regards,
Samantha
My T6 P* is currently consuming 1L/3000KM, am planning on buying a new PCV assembly, changing plugs and checking the plugs' state. If 6th spark plug is covered in soot - time for valve stem seals according to Volvo TJ.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
According to Volvo cars it is normal, here is the response from Volvo Customer Support:

My T6 P* is currently consuming 1L/3000KM, am planning on buying a new PCV assembly, changing plugs and checking the plugs' state. If 6th spark plug is covered in soot - time for valve stem seals according to Volvo TJ.
Thanks for this info. I changed the plugs about 30,000kms ago because of a misfire situation (I believe it turned out to be bad gas), and they looked ok. Which is the 6th (rightmost I assume)? I can check this easily.

PCV assembly looks to be about $300, so I'd prefer to avoid doing this unless I can get confirmation that it actually helps!?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I want to preface with this, I am still learning the details and years (coming from the P2 world).

But 2010-2011 T6 motors were notorious for excessive oil consumption, I thought by 2013 it was better but I see posts all over about oil consumption.

I just picked up my 11 T6 recently with 104k miles. I have every dealer receipt from new as the previous owner did everything under an extended vip warranty.

Relevant maintenance:
Low oil warning at 45k miles.
Breather box replaced at 47k miles.
Low oil warning at 50k miles.
Excessive oil consumption noted and rebuilt motor by volvo at 57k miles.
Breather box replaced at 58k miles.

So changing the breather box does seem to be an initial diagnostic response but the reality is if that's not a solution the next step would probably be to scope the motor and look for piston ring damage.

If the oil addition isn't problematic then keep going, otherwise having it rebuilt "could" be the necessary evil.

Hope it's somehow an easier solution for you though

·
Registered
183 Posts
I want to preface with this, I am still learning the details and years (coming from the P2 world).

But 2010-2011 T6 motors were notorious for excessive oil consumption, I thought by 2013 it was better but I see posts all over about oil consumption.

I just picked up my 11 T6 recently with 104k miles. I have every dealer receipt from new as the previous owner did everything under an extended vip warranty.

Relevant maintenance:
Low oil warning at 45k miles.
Breather box replaced at 47k miles.
Low oil warning at 50k miles.
Excessive oil consumption noted and rebuilt motor by volvo at 57k miles.
Breather box replaced at 58k miles.

So changing the breather box does seem to be an initial diagnostic response but the reality is if that's not a solution the next step would probably be to scope the motor and look for piston ring damage.

If the oil addition isn't problematic then keep going, otherwise having it rebuilt "could" be the necessary evil.

Hope it's somehow an easier solution for you though
Bought my 2012 T6 with 100,000 miles with extensive records, none about oil consumption. It never used a drop between changes. A couple years later, I kept getting an intermittent P0171 system lean code. The light would come on for a couple days, and be off for a couple days. While in the shop for unrelated things, I guess the light must have come on because they called me and told me I needed a PCV breather box to fix the check engine light. Total cost was 300 something dollars. I'd never had a check engine light fixed that cheap before, so what the heck? I approved the work. About 1000 miles later, I get a low oil warning. "Odd." I thought. From that point forward, it's consistently burned a quart every 1200 miles or so. Less right after a fresh oil change, more as the oil gets dirtier. I don't know. Maybe they messed something up, got a defective new part, but I took it back and they said their work was okay (predictable) and recommended an oil consumption test for $250. Would have considered it if it was a diagnosis on where the oil was going, but it was just where they change the oil and I bring the car in every time the warning comes on to see how fast it's burning the oil. It's a real shame. That's the only problem with an otherwise immaculate car.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I have a 2010 Volvo XC60 T6 currently with 241,445km (150027mi). In 2016 at 136,766km (around 85,000mi) my Volvo dealer rebuilt the engine, for an exessive oil consumption issue. They replaced the pistons and piston rings with the updated parts. I haven't noticed any unusual oil consumption, or any big oil consumption since then. I have had the oil sensor replaced since then as well. I never get the low oil light, and the car has very little oil consumption. I do an oil change every 8,500-9,000km (5300-5600 mi) and it makes it without having the whole way without the oil ever having to be top upped.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts