SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

After driving my 2007 XC70 for awhile I swayed to the dark side and bought a Prius. The Prius is just fine, but I may be the benefactor of my parents 2011 XC60 when they buy a new car in the next couple of months. I'd love to have it as I miss my Volvo and it would get me out of car payments, but it comes with one catch: 170k miles and not much done beyond oil changes. My parents bought it around 4 years ago when it had 90k miles and have only done routine maintenance. It looks good and still drives well. I live in an urban environment and drive >1000 miles per month.

Is there anything to be concerned about? They drove it up to D.C. and back twice last summer and it did great - it also really hasn't had any major issues. If I do keep it, what should I be looking into for preventative maintenance?

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Which version? 3.2, t6? Is it Awd?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I would check the following:

• Check the transmission to see if it shifts properly. Were fluid changes performed? If they were not DO NOT get one performed, at 170k miles that will probably do more damage than good.
  • At that mileage the shocks and possibly springs will need replacing.
  • Check the belts.
  • Timing belt? Not sure if the T6 or 3.2 have a chain or belt.

Best thing would be to take it to a trusted mechanic and let them give it the once over. Things like the cabin and air filters you could change yourself.

·
Registered
13,497 Posts

• Check the transmission to see if it shifts properly. Were fluid changes performed? If they were not DO NOT get one performed, at 170k miles that will probably do more damage than good.
  • Check the belts.

Best thing would be to take it to a trusted mechanic and let them give it the once over. Things like the cabin and air filters you could change yourself.
The SI 6 has a timing chain but does have a drive belt and related hardware (tensioner) that need to be changed at some interval.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Which version? 3.2, t6? Is it Awd?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
It is FWD, 3.2. My parents had the transmission fluid changed around 95k, but the car has always been kinda jerky imo. I learned how to drive in this car and it took me awhile to get used to the weird shifts. No issues yet though!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

• Check the belts.

Great advice! I know thew shocks are original but 90% of the mileage is smooth highway driving so I could probably squeeze a little more life out of them. The chain is due at 210k I believe and my parents have not taken care of any belts yet. Good thing I still have my Volvo mechanic on speed dial!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Bad upper and lower torque rods will also add to the jerky transmission shifts. Not that much to replace.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts