SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a used 1011 XC60 T6 two months ago, and everything has been swell until yesterday when I put in my all-weather mats and happened upon my exposed and rusted steering column. I'm under full warranty, but how bad is this? I also noticed this morning I had trouble opening the passenger door - it was if it was frozen shut.

http://picuploaders.com/image/xy

Thanks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
That's probably totaled. With that much rust on the steering column, you're door is probably all rusted out inside causing it to fuse shut.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I think Volvo recommends an occasional squirt of Mobil 1 spray lube for the door hinges and a few other parts. The pic is surface rust and is common on unpainted metal. As thick as the metal is, there really isn't any problem but you can wipe it off good with a dry towel and either carefully throw a light coat of spray paint on it or spray it with some oil. Once a thick piece of metal like that has a layer oxidation on its surface, it's hard for the air to get much further past it to continue the rusting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ugh. Thanks. I also noticed it took a long time to defrost the car. Probably same issue - moisture inside the car.

When you say totaled, do you mean the whole car?

·
Registered
770 Posts

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
I purchased a used 1011 XC60 T6 two months ago, and everything has been swell until yesterday when I put in my all-weather mats and happened upon my exposed and rusted steering column. I'm under full warranty, but how bad is this? I also noticed this morning I had trouble opening the passenger door - it was if it was frozen shut.

http://picuploaders.com/image/xy

Thanks.
A used 1011??? That must be rusty!

[2011 XC70 D5 Polestar]

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think Volvo recommends an occasional squirt of Mobil 1 spray lube for the door hinges and a few other parts. The pic is surface rust and is common on unpainted metal. As thick as the metal is, there really isn't any problem but you can wipe it off good with a dry towel and either carefully throw a light coat of spray paint on it or spray it with some oil. Once a thick piece of metal like that has a layer oxidation on its surface, it's hard for the air to get much further past it to continue the rusting.
Is there a generalized list of recommended PM or care? I'm certain much of it is in the manual, but, items like this or silicone on the door seals, etc would be good for a scatterbrain such as myself to have as a checklist.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
There is no excuse for that. My guess is the car was under water somewhere, dried out, and sold to you which is not as uncommon as one may think. If that is the case the car is useless and in no way would I keep it. I would go after that dealer with hammer and tongs.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
There is no excuse for that. My guess is the car was under water somewhere, dried out, and sold to you which is not as uncommon as one may think. If that is the case the car is useless and in no way would I keep it. I would go after that dealer with hammer and tongs.
Yes, I'd agree 100%........if the OP were in Arizona. The car is 5 years old and it's a bare piece of metal directly over carpet and footwear that has a high possibility of being wet at times. The vehicle history report and the locations it's been registered will tell you a lot more than a steering shaft with some surface rust on it.

·
Registered
917 Posts
He was messing with you.
It would have been a more effective "messing" if he had said, "There is a software update to correct that."

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
My '01 steering column has NO rust on it at all. That car has a sorted history sorry to say.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts