SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 XC60 which I really like. In the first 6 months though the "Engine Oil Low" warning came up 3 times (about every 2000 miles). I added oil to get the light out. I mentioned it to a service tech while having our XC90 serviced and she said that it was pretty normal. I was sceptical.

At the 7500 mile service, I had them check this, and after keeping the car for 3 days, the service tech assured me that they had found a small leak and it was taken care of.

At about 10,000 miles, the warning light was back on, and sure enough another quart of oil was needed. Since then I've been checking the oil and sure enough, about every 2000 miles it needs another quart.

Since 2000, I have had 2 new Audis, a new VW Touareg, and the XC90. None have needed oil. It's my belief that with modern building technology, the engine should really not need attention between services.

So, I just took it in for a 15,000 mile service (we've had it just over a year) and told the service tech that I wanted it looked into again. He called yesterday to say they were on the phone with Volvo Service HQ for advice. Today he called again to say they were working on eliminating a few more possible problems, but he thought they might need to replace the cylinder head.

So, oh wise Volvo owners (and service people who I know read this), does this make sense? He said that they found some carbon build up on one of the cylinder heads.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have a 2011 XC60 which I really like. In the first 6 months though the "Engine Oil Low" warning came up 3 times (about every 2000 miles). I added oil to get the light out. I mentioned it to a service tech while having our XC90 serviced and she said that it was pretty normal. I was sceptical.

At the 7500 mile service, I had them check this, and after keeping the car for 3 days, the service tech assured me that they had found a small leak and it was taken care of.

At about 10,000 miles, the warning light was back on, and sure enough another quart of oil was needed. Since then I've been checking the oil and sure enough, about every 2000 miles it needs another quart.

Since 2000, I have had 2 new Audis, a new VW Touareg, and the XC90. None have needed oil. It's my belief that with modern building technology, the engine should really not need attention between services.

So, I just took it in for a 15,000 mile service (we've had it just over a year) and told the service tech that I wanted it looked into again. He called yesterday to say they were on the phone with Volvo Service HQ for advice. Today he called again to say they were working on eliminating a few more possible problems, but he thought they might need to replace the cylinder head.

So, oh wise Volvo owners (and service people who I know read this), does this make sense? He said that they found some carbon build up on one of the cylinder heads.
Have you checked the requirements for the Lemon Law in your state? I think 15K is probably over most states' limits. Here in Massachusetts, we have a time, mileage and days out of service requirement.

I'd check into your state's requirements and file right away, if you can. Clearly, neither your dealer nor Volvo took you seriously enough the first time.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Something is obviously wrong with your car, it should not consume that much oil. I sure hope the dealer sorts it out for you.

However, oil consumption to some extent is normal theese days. With more and more focus on low fuel consumption resulting is less friction in the engine, oil will slip thru. So saying any of my other cars I've ever owned in the past did not have any issues with oil consumtion isn't really a valid statement here.

/Martin

·
Registered
1,823 Posts

I would assume that you have the 3.2 I6 engine. Some samples of this power plant seem to have high oil consumption rates. My former 2010 V70 3.2 went through a quart of oil every 3000 miles. VCNA insisted that rate of consumption was "normal" and refused to acknowledge the problem or allow my dealer to repair it.

After 15K miles and three trips to the dealership, I threatened a lemon law procedure. My dealer didn't want me to have to go that route, so they bought out my lease and got me into my present 2012 XC70 T6 at no cost to me. Bottom line: your dealer may or may not support you, but VCNA will most definitely stonewall you and deny your claim. Keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
There are service bulletins on this with procedures to follow to investigate. TJ 24643, I believe.

See: http://www.justanswer.com/volvo/5u0rh-volvo-xc70-2011-volvo-xc70-3-2l-engine-5500.html

You might make sure they are following that procedure (sounds like they are). I have a subscription
to alldatadiy.com which lists the bulletins but it did not have that one. Note my subscription is for a S60 T6.
I think TJ 24643 applies to multiple models. In any case, it appears Volvo is aware of it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Something is obviously wrong with your car, it should not consume that much oil. I sure hope the dealer sorts it out for you.

However, oil consumption to some extent is normal theese days. With more and more focus on low fuel consumption resulting is less friction in the engine, oil will slip thru. So saying any of my other cars I've ever owned in the past did not have any issues with oil consumtion isn't really a valid statement here.

/Martin
I realize that some oil consumption is OK, but in the last 10 years with new cars from Audi, VW, and Volvo I hadn't seen anything close to 1 quart every 2000 miles.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would assume that you have the 3.2 I6 engine. Some samples of this power plant seem to have high oil consumption rates. My former 2010 V70 3.2 went through a quart of oil every 3000 miles. VCNA insisted that rate of consumption was "normal" and refused to acknowledge the problem or allow my dealer to repair it.

After 15K miles and three trips to the dealership, I threatened a lemon law procedure. My dealer didn't want me to have to go that route, so they bought out my lease and got me into my present 2012 XC70 T6 at no cost to me. Bottom line: your dealer may or may not support you, but VCNA will most definitely stonewall you and deny your claim. Keep us posted on your progress.
No it's the T6. But I will be paying close attention to how they treat this now. The dealer at the moment is being supportive, but I imagine they have to call VCNA to get permission to do something like put in a new cylinder head, and VCNA may be telling them to just say they "found a leak" and "fixed it". (Not that they would ever put it in so many words.) The tech yesterday said that off the record he thought they should replace the cylinder head, but he couldn't say for sure until they had a) finished all their tests and b) got approval from VCNA.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are service bulletins on this with procedures to follow to investigate. TJ 24643, I believe.

See: http://www.justanswer.com/volvo/5u0rh-volvo-xc70-2011-volvo-xc70-3-2l-engine-5500.html

You might make sure they are following that procedure (sounds like they are). I have a subscription
to alldatadiy.com which lists the bulletins but it did not have that one. Note my subscription is for a S60 T6.
I think TJ 24643 applies to multiple models. In any case, it appears Volvo is aware of it.
Thanks for the info. Will be sure to mention this when I talk to service tech today.

PS we also have an XC90. It is also a 2006 Ocean Race :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks

Hey all,

Thanks for the replies. I really hope that it does not go down the Lemon road but we'll see. Looks like in CA it would have to go in 4 times before 18k miles for the Lemon Law to apply. If I get the "Engine Oil Low" warning on after this, I'll be straight to the dealer for sure.

Will post when I get some answers from the Service Dept.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update

Picked the car up this afternoon. They replaced the PCV "box" (service tech's wording) and they are hoping this fixes the problem. I'm driving up to Truckee this weekend (500 mi) and they want it back next week to see if this made a difference. If not they're talking about the cylinder head. Should I be pressing for a new engine if they want to do that, or should I let them do that and see what happens?

Any of you with more experience feel free to weigh in.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Update

Picked the car up this afternoon. They replaced the PCV "box" (service tech's wording) and they are hoping this fixes the problem. I'm driving up to Truckee this weekend (500 mi) and they want it back next week to see if this made a difference. If not they're talking about the cylinder head. Should I be pressing for a new engine if they want to do that, or should I let them do that and see what happens?

Any of you with more experience feel free to weigh in.
Wow! I envy you being able to drive to Truckee -- what a nice place.

After reading your updates, I'd suggest once more that you immediately initiate lemon law proceedings if you are still eligible, while you continue to work the dealer. It's not in your interest to keep hacking at it, then waiting a week to see if it worked. That's a good way for VNCA to wait out your lemon law time limits.

Simply starting a lemon law process will, in my experience, elicit a much improved response from VCNA, who would prefer more to make you happy than get slapped with an unfavorable arbitrator's decision. Now, their choice is between making you happy by spending more money or waiting you out, hoping you'll tire or accept a less optimal (for you) solution.

Once a dealer has demonstrated that they can't fix something important correctly -- and they're just guessing -- VCNA will go immediately into the "let's minimize our costs" mode. You should change this calculus while you still have a chance to.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update.

After driving to Truckee on Saturday (in a blizzard) so the 5 1/2 year old could ski on Sunday (in powder up to his knees) I took the XC60 into the dealer this morning. The service tech just called to say that, yes the car was continuing to burn oil 1/3 quart in 600 miles. They have been advised by VCNA to check the PCV again, but take the cylinder head off and check the gasket. If the gasket is fine, they can then order a new cylinder head and replace. I'll keep you updated.

The Lemon Law in CA gives 18 months to file and the criteria is if there is a problem that is not fixed after 4 attempts you can file. Hope not to go that path, but definitely do not want to keep messing with this. (If a new cylinder head doesn't fix it, then I'll definitely be filing because I really don't need a "problem" engine).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
New engine?

Update:

Last Friday I went in to talk to the service tech to request that they write up the current attempt to fix the problem (replacing the cylinder head) as a new work order. Basically to make sure that if I have to file for a Lemon, the current fix is attempt #3 and they can't argue that they are just continuing from replacing the PCV box. After a little negotiation, he called to say that yes he would write it up as a new WO. He did say they probably wouldn't get the new cylinder head until Tuesday morning and so I wouldn't get the car back until Wednesday. OK.

Today (Monday late PM) got a call while I was on another line so could not answer. Had to reset my iPhone to actually retrieve the message which was after closing hours. Message was that VCNA had decided that rather than a new cylinder head, they were proposing a new engine. And they may get the new engine by the end of this week, but it would be sometime next week before they were done.

So, wise people, any thoughts on this. Should I accept their plan? What does it do to the warranty? Anyone have experience with a dealer putting in a new engine? I'm more confident that they can do it right when it's done in the right sequence at the factory.

I'm not sure that I can tell them no, but if any of you have thoughts or experience it would be good to hear from you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"new" engine

Update - Tuesday

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry about the last non-update. Darn keyboards.

Was going to post that I just talked to service tech at dealer to ask about the "new" engine they were going to order. My questions were:

1. Is this a new or a rebuilt engine
2. Will this extend the warranty

Answers were not so re-assuring.

1. He said it's a new engine, but it's in a used "case". I asked him if this meant the same thing as a new engine going into a new XC60 in Sweden and he said, no it's new parts going into a used case (and by case he gave the very technical description of "this is the non moving part'). So, is this a rebuilt engine (new parts in an old case) or a "new" engine? He also (when pressed) said that VCNA could not call it a new engine. So, I'm confused on this, and anyone with experience with this feel free to chip in.

2. Initially he said that of course it would have the standard 2 year warranty. Then he said that it would be covered with the current warranty. I asked if they could extend the current warranty (since it's a new engine) by 1 year. He said he didn't think so.

Update 2

Just got another call with additional information:

1. He talked to his VCNA rep and was told that the engine was likely to be brand new, but he wouldn't know for sure until it came in. I think he gets that I won't be happy with a rebuild. We left it that he would take a look at it when it comes in and call.

2. VCNA rep said they cannot "extend" the warranty, but they would pay for a service contract that would cover the engine up to 100,000 miles. This I will have to see the details of.

Any comments most welcome.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the input. I had similar problem with my car 2012 xc60 with 3.2 and your input would be great help for me to handle this issue.
I had to put the 2 qrts of engine oil right before the first scheduled service last Dec with 6911 miles on the car.
The mechanic told me he would do the compression test on engine if the engine oil level is low after a couple months.

3 months later when I check the oil level it got lower from top to a half of "XXXXXX" mark on the tip. So, i brought the car to dealer. The dealer said they could not find any leak and so, they added sticker to start oil consumption test. Do you think this is right procesure?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the input. I had similar problem with my car 2012 xc60 with 3.2 and your input would be great help for me to handle this issue.
I had to put the 2 qrts of engine oil right before the first scheduled service last Dec with 6911 miles on the car.
The mechanic told me he would do the compression test on engine if the engine oil level is low after a couple months.

3 months later when I check the oil level it got lower from top to a half of "XXXXXX" mark on the tip. So, i brought the car to dealer. The dealer said they could not find any leak and so, they added sticker to start oil consumption test. Do you think this is right procesure?
As long as you keep track of their attempts to fix the problem, then it's probably OK. The warranty is good but you need to make sure that each time you take it in with this problem that it gets written up as a new Repair Order. Doesn't sound like your dealer has done anything to "fix" the problem yet and I think based on my experience I would be putting pressure on them to start doing something.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update

Two calls from Volvo service tech today.

Call 1:
Tech: We got the engine in and it's not a new one.
Me: That's not good.
Tech: Call Volvo customer care, and I'll call my rep.

Call 2:
Tech: We looked at the engine and talked to Volvo and it really is a NEW engine. Come and take a look.
Me: OK I'll come and take a look tomorrow morning.

Not that I don't trust the dealer, but any advice about telling the difference between a rebuilt and a new engine? I'll ask to take a look at the paperwork too, but I'm not sure how clear that will be.

Should I be satisfied with this?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update: Friday

Talked to VCNA customer service for 20 minutes. They are of the opinion that a "buy back" decision is up to the Area Manager. Also, if the Area Manager thought it was worth putting in a new engine, then he probably figured that was going to meet warranty requirements.

Then went in and looked at the engine. The mechanic (who is installing the engine) explained that at first they thought it might be a re-built engine because of marks where the intake manifold is attached. Said when they called VCNA to confirm that it was a new engine the higher up mechanic said this is because they run the engines for 50 seconds and then take off the intake manifold for shipping. Seemed to make sense.

I did request that they provide paperwork to the effect that this was in fact a new and NOT a rebuilt engine.

Based on that (and the 100,000 mile service contract) I told them to go ahead and put in the new engine. They are hoping to have it done by sometime on Monday, but given that they want to test drive the car and then inspect the engine installation, it will probably be Tuesday before I get it back.

Will post again with a final wrap up.

1 - 20 of 201 Posts