SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2011 Volvo XC60 3.2 N/A AWD serpentine belt replacement DIY

I apologize in advance as there are no pictures. Today was my first time doing this and I was in a hurry to get the car back to the wife.

To start:

1) Unscrew the 4 T25 screws for the air filter housing and the slotted hose clamp next to the MAF. The screws will stay with the cover. Take off the cover. Take out the air filter and inspect it. If it is dirty, replace it.

2) Pull up on lower housing and rotate towards you while standing in front the car. The lower housing will come out.

3) Take out the battery. Once the battery is out rotate the battery tray counter clock wise to get it out of the way. I could not get the hood release cable to come apart so I rotated the tray of the way.

4) Unscrew the 3, 10mm bolts holding the A/C pump. Use a 19mm wrench to loosen the tensioner. Gently move the A/C to get the belt off. Take the belt off of all of the pulleys expect for the far-right plastic pulley. You will have to twist the belt 90 degrees, press it against the pulley, then rotate the pulley to get the belt off.

5) Underneath the A/C pump is where the bolt is for the tensioner. Remove the 10mm nut holding down the positive battery cable. The black bracket has 2 10mm bolts if I recall correct. Next you will see the tensioner bolt. It is a 10mm bolt. I used a 10mm wrench to take it off and work the tensioner out of the car. You can pull it towards you or push it out towards the firewall. You must rotate it to get the alignment tab out of its groove.

6) Put the new belt on…sort of. You have to have the belt all the way towards the A/C pump BEFORE you put the tensioner back. You may not need to replace your tensioner but I did and I recommend it.

7) Install new tensioner. I tightened the tensioner bolt as hard as I could by hand. You have to use fingers so it is not overly tight.

8) Route the belt so it goes over the pulleys the correct way. For the far-right plastic pulley, install is same as removal.

9) Once the belt is around all of the pulleys, push down with a 19mm wrench to loosen the pulley and pull the retaining pin out. Release the tensioner and rotate the belt by hand to make sure is working right. The belt should be centered on all of the pulleys, no grooves should be showing on the pulleys.

10) Reinstall the 3 A/C pump bolts. You may need to move the pump around to get the bolts to line up. I had too. Next reinstall the black plate and nut for the positive battery cable.

11) Reinstall your battery tray and battery. Do not forget the battery hold down, it is 10mm. Make sure to plug the battery vent hose back in on the right side of the battery.

12) Install the air intake system. NO NOT start the car with this not installed. I did and car did not run correctly.

That should be it. I think I missed a few areas but you should be able to figure it out on your own. If you have questions please IM me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Serpentine belt replacement

Thank you for the write-up. I have a 2010 T6 AWD with a 3.0 6 cylinder engine. Did you have to loosen/remove the power steering pump, separate it from the water pump, in order to remove the belt? Other posts indicate steering pump removal is necessary to clear a path for belt removal and installation. It might be that between the two models or engines that the pulley arrangement is different. Thanks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Cool - thanks for the writeup.

Was the belt you replaced the original one? If so how many miles? Just curious. Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Would you have any info regarding Volvo Serpentine Belt Tensioner/Removal/De-tensioner Tool for a 2010 Volvo XC60 T6? or any suggestions/link if you know where can I find this special type? I need to replace the AC clutch coil. Also any Video or steps on this will be much appreciated. I cannot use 19mm wrench to loosen the tension as it appears a different type of belt tensioner in 3L T6 engine

Thanks
Blesson

·
Registered
89 Posts
Would you have any info regarding Volvo Serpentine Belt Tensioner/Removal/De-tensioner Tool for a 2010 Volvo XC60 T6? or any suggestions/link if you know where can I find this special type? I need to replace the AC clutch coil. Also any Video or steps on this will be much appreciated. I cannot use 19mm wrench to loosen the tension as it appears a different type of belt tensioner in 3L T6 engine

Thanks
Blesson
Called my dealer for a Quite on this same subject today, (Volvo Of Richmond,Va) Same thing replace Tensioner & Pulley & serpentine Belt Cost $975 That was cheaper then a Master Volvo Technicians shop near Fredericksburg,Va . Turbo or Non Turbo same price. There is a video if thifs up mon You Tube once you visually see the amount of work involved You might just leave this job to a professional ,.The new Volvo Parts and Warranty service will NOT apply to this belt replacement I was told.:angryfire:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts