SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question:

Bought a 2011 s60 T6 AWD (52000kms / CPU until August 2017) in early january to replace my 2001 V70 (RIP), indicated to my local dealer that I had "lost" the "S" sport mode 2 days after taking the car...
Of course, my local dealer did not believe me indicating that the sport mode was not available to the 2011 S60...
So I had to basically force my dealer to update the car SW (along with removing a 3rd "twilight zone" key assigned to the car...) - SW pushed 31295479-5.

"S" sport mode is now back on and seems to be working fine.

However, before this I had noticed a weird "surge" at 2500 rpm with partial throttle and it is still there after this SW push.

Is this a "normal" behavior for this car?

thanks

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have the same vehicle, the 'surge' may be the tranny down shifting, when slowing down. I didn't notice any surging when keeping a steady foot on the throttle.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Well it shouldn't be slowing down under throttle.

Do you only notice this at 2,500 rpm in Sport, or is it whenever you are driving? Can you describe what you're calling transmission surge?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This behavior is not in sport mode.

Transmission surge may be a "harsh" term... it's more like a flutter, slight/weird RPM increase before changing gear.
I noticed around 2000-2500 RPM it when accelerating normally (normal city driving - 50 Km/hr up here).

Dealer service rep indicated that the transmission was fine.

Since the car is under warranty until August 2017.... not to much worry here if this develops into something serious.

This is more in the category... "things that make you go "hmmm"

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
If the engine speed was consistently increasing as if the transmission was in neutral before the gear change was complete, this could indicate a problem with the transmission. You would probably have to wait until it got much worse (much longer periods of slip) until warranty repair would be done.

I never noticed the behavior you're describing on this car under normal driving or on the 2011-2013 S60 T6 non-R-Designs I drove. But after hard driving when the transmission is hot, the transmission will act all sorts of funny in an effort to protect itself from damage as it cools without killing performance too much. It will allow some minor slip, and that is normal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts