SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping someone out there has had similar experiences as this has been very frustrating!:mad:

I have a '11 S60 with Four-C and there's this shuddering / rattling / reverberation in the front left area of the car when driving over slightly uneven roads, parking garage bumps, rumble strips, other surfaces that really shouldn't unsettle the suspension. It basically feels like there's something loose in the front suspension, makes the car feel fragile, and is extremely aggravating.

The car has been to the dealer multiple times where the shop foreman, a tech guy, and a service rep have confirmed the issue during test drives on three separate occasions. They've tried replacing a loose belly pan, tightening the suspension, running diagnostic on the four-c - nothing has helped with the issue.

Anyone else experience this? If so, is there a solution?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Seems somewhat similar to what wdimagineer experienced with his first S60...
You could contact him and ask.
However his S60 had several issues and he had his car replaced so he may not know about a solution. :|

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, the Volvo dealer I use had the car for five days. They claim they could not detect any noise, and the mechanic who worked on the car attributed what noise they claimed I was hearing to tire roar (the service rep essentially told us it was in our heads.) Not very pleased with either diagnosis. They also told me to consider replacing the tires (the car just rolled over 8k miles on it.) Further, they did some work on the car that they said was recall-related. They installed some kind of sleeve over the power steering pump? Well, now the car occasionally makes a noise that it never made when I turn the steering wheel. They told us that new rear shocks were ordered as a recall item for the car (on back order - due to arrive end of June.) I was told that when these shocks are installed, they hoped I would not hear the noises any more. I noted the noise comes from the front of the car. And, if the noise is caused by "tire roar" why would putting new rear shocks on the car alleviate it? Also, we had the navigation "updated" with some CDs sent to us by Volvo. The navigation looks better, but we lost the ability to use the voice control for both the nav and using the steering wheel button to answer/hang up the telephone. I was hoping that they would do the Sensus upgrade, but they did not (I guess we have to ask for it rather then them just doing it when they are available?) Lastly, I have noticed that the transmission is now shifting harshly, particularly when decelerating and downshifting into 2nd gear. We had this problem before and the "TCM" upgrade was performed and the problem went away. Not sure why it came back after the dealer worked on the car for a few days. So, I am particularly distressed at this point that all of the items that they dealt with either were not done correctly or have created other problems, and my primary complaint, for which the car has been back to the dealer 6 times in 9 months, has still not been addressed. I am also concerned that if I keep complaining about these items, they are going to write me off as a malcontent. That said, I've never owned a Volvo that had so many issues, particularly so early in its life.

·
Registered
418 Posts
At this point, you should definitely call Volvo Cars North America directly. They are usually very responsive and will take steps to get the issues you are having addressed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys for the advice. contacted vcna - they were great to talk to and opened a file. i guess this finally got the dealer's attention and our case was handled by the service manager instead of the constant pushing the issue off by the service rep.

so on the 7th visit for this issue with the tech driving and service manager in tow, both confirmed the suspension rattle issue on a test drive. the tech says he didnt notice the issue during all the previous drives because it's not as noticeable in the passenger seat and said there was an easy fix. apparently there is a service bulletin out to replace strut bushings that were too hard and causing the rattle. if this was the case all along, why did it take almost a year and 7 trips to finally confirm and diagnose the issue for what is supposedly so straight forward? i had proposed that it could be a strut mount or some kind of bushing issue multiple times before so not sure if this is really the case here. they also confirmed the rest of the issues and possibly ordering a new passenger b-pillar to resolve the knocking noise.

anyway - thanks again guys for the advice. seems you have to contact vcna or use an equivalent threat to get things done. kind of unfortunate and it's been a huge waste of time - hope the issues finally get resolved!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
anyone deal with the new regional rep for the dc metro area? its gonna take 2-3 weeks to get an appt. does that sound about right?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts