SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know a good Xenon Headlight conversion kit for the S60 2011 model that includes projectors and all components -or has anyone done this before?

Also want to change all the interior lighting to LEDS but can't work out what globes to purchase for this. I think there may be 2 different kinds?

Thankful for any assistance!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Does anyone know a good Xenon Headlight conversion kit for the S60 2011 model that includes projectors and all components -or has anyone done this before?

Also want to change all the interior lighting to LEDS but can't work out what globes to purchase for this. I think there may be 2 different kinds?

Thankful for any assistance!
I bought an S60 that was on the dealers lot because it had every option I was looking for if I was to do a custom order - except ABL (xenon). I figured a could add xenon later and was also prepared to go the full route of retrofitting projectors. Unfortunately, I've given up due to a couple of reasons:

1) the DRL function for halogen headlights does a pulse width modulation of the 12v signal to the bulb that in theory extends the life of the halogen bulb, but causes all sorts of problems for xenon ballasts. I'm in Canada where there is no Sensus option to disable DRL and the dealer won't do it since its illegal. If you have the option to disable DRL this may also disable the PWM to the bulb, but you need to verify it. One option around this is to use a bypass relay and provide power to the ballasts directly from the battery, but this makes problem 2) worse.

2) the headlights have a lamp burn out warning that will come up in the message display. In previous Volvos this was done by measuring the voltage drop across a low resistance shunt in the CEM. The shunt looked similar to a fuse and could be changed in a similar way. These could be fooled by changing the resistance of the shunt when xenon was installed to generate the correct voltage drop. You can find directions on the net for carefully drilling a hole in a specific location of a stock shunt to get one that would work for xenon. This scheme has been changed for the current generation of S60 and there doesn't appear to be a shunt ( or at least not one that is accessible ). So even if you were able to smooth out the PWM power signal above, I think you'd still trip the bulb out warning since the xenon draws different current than a halogen bulb. It is likely possible to add an additional load to the headlight circuit to match the equivalent halogen current draw, but I wasn't able to get to that point due to the PWM problem. Note that if you go with the relay to provide power to the xenon ballast then the only load on the headlight circuit will be the relay coil which is essentially nothing, and your additional load will have to take the full 55W of a halogen bulb. It will get very hot and need to be mounted to metal body work to act as a heat sink.

I also considered buying a set of Volvo xenon headlights and swapping them in, but that has its own set of problems. Although the headlight connectors are identical, the wiring harness on the car is different between xenon and non-xenon. You would need to change the wiring harness which is one of the main engine compartment harnesses and would not be easy. Next you need the level sensors added to the suspension so that the headlight auto leveling feature can be enabled. If you have the 4C suspension option I believe the sensors are already installed. And finally you need to add a new module that plugs into the wire harness, takes the level sensor data and controls the headlight leveling motor(vertical), plus reads the steering wheel sensors to control the 'bending' motor (horizontal). I believe the parts alone will run $2.5-3.0k or more and as a minimum you would still need a Volvo dealer to program the headlight control module.

There are also a number of ballasts and/or accessories that are sold to be "compatible with canbus" and "bulb out canceller" - as far as I can tell they're all crap and won't do anything to make a ballast work properly on an S60.

In short, it is theoretically possible to do, but it will be much more complicated and expensive than just buying a HID kit and an hours worth of wiring mods. Adding projectors to the headlight assemblies would be easy compared to the electrical issues.

I still occasionally search the net, but I haven't found anyone selling a kit that is specifically intended for a 2011+ Volvo to fix the above issues.

However, if despite all the above you do manage to get the conversion done and working, please post back with the details since I would still like xenon as well. :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Has anyone come up with anything yet?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I used the ddm tuning 35w slim ballast kit. At first the flickered and would randomly turn off. I then installed the error eliminators from ddmtuning as well and havent had a problem since. I just have the low beams in the reflector lenses currently. Am planning on doing a projector retrofit in the near future.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I used the ddm tuning 35w slim ballast kit. At first the flickered and would randomly turn off. I then installed the error eliminators from ddmtuning as well and havent had a problem since. I just have the low beams in the reflector lenses currently. Am planning on doing a projector retrofit in the near future.
That's excellent news!

A couple more questions on your install:

Do you get the headlight burned out error message in the DIM, or does the error canceller fix that as well?

Are you using the original low beam signal for the power source to the ballast or did you wire in an interposing relay with a feed direct from the battery?

Any other details you can share? Pics?

Thanks

·
Registered
169 Posts
I feel sorry for you guys who have DRL. In Australia that's not even an option, which is good for those wanting to do an HID conversion from the halogens.

Firstly, it annoys me to no end that Volvo went with reflector style headlights instead of projectors for their halogen setup. Even the cheapest of cheap cars use projectors now for their non-HID. For me, the projector setup is so much better in terms of illumination and reducing glare for on-coming traffic. I just find it ironic that Volvo is supposed to be the leader in safety. My other annoyance with Volvo is that they don't have simple HID on their own. You have to opt for the ABL system to get HIDs, which just adds to the price for somehting I don't really need. Ok, rant over. Sorry.

In any case, I had my friend install a H7 HID conversion kit for me from day 1 of the car. Like mrcandy, I too thought about buying the HID headlight housing and hoped to simply slot it in. Unfortunately I was also advised a new wire harness was required, then all the motors for this and that, the headlight washers, and finally Volvo needs to tick off that option for the car's Sensus so that the system can do it's checks and monitoring.

But my friend was able to integrate all the wiring so that it was a nice clean install. I found a place to hide the ballasts and away I went. The HID kit was made for the reflector headlights so it had the metal wrap in the middle of the HID bulb stalk to reduce glare (although Volvo has that shield already). But the ballasts were CanBUS compatible so my car didn't throw off any errors. I've been running this for over a year now and so far not a single problem. He chose his kit well as he's installed it in over 50+ cars and not a single one (including myself) has complained of any flickering or the bulb never firing.

I've converted all the my interior, the footwells, and the trunk to LED. It's just between the festoons and a variation of the T10 bulb. But it's pretty straight forward. To verify, just remove the covers and count how many you need of each bulb.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I feel sorry for you guys who have DRL. In Australia that's not even an option, which is good for those wanting to do an HID conversion from the halogens.

Firstly, it annoys me to no end that Volvo went with reflector style headlights instead of projectors for their halogen setup. Even the cheapest of cheap cars use projectors now for their non-HID. For me, the projector setup is so much better in terms of illumination and reducing glare for on-coming traffic. I just find it ironic that Volvo is supposed to be the leader in safety. My other annoyance with Volvo is that they don't have simple HID on their own. You have to opt for the ABL system to get HIDs, which just adds to the price for somehting I don't really need. Ok, rant over. Sorry.

In any case, I had my friend install a H7 HID conversion kit for me from day 1 of the car. Like mrcandy, I too thought about buying the HID headlight housing and hoped to simply slot it in. Unfortunately I was also advised a new wire harness was required, then all the motors for this and that, the headlight washers, and finally Volvo needs to tick off that option for the car's Sensus so that the system can do it's checks and monitoring.

But my friend was able to integrate all the wiring so that it was a nice clean install. I found a place to hide the ballasts and away I went. The HID kit was made for the reflector headlights so it had the metal wrap in the middle of the HID bulb stalk to reduce glare (although Volvo has that shield already). But the ballasts were CanBUS compatible so my car didn't throw off any errors. I've been running this for over a year now and so far not a single problem. He chose his kit well as he's installed it in over 50+ cars and not a single one (including myself) has complained of any flickering or the bulb never firing.

I've converted all the my interior, the footwells, and the trunk to LED. It's just between the festoons and a variation of the T10 bulb. But it's pretty straight forward. To verify, just remove the covers and count how many you need of each bulb.
Would you PLEASE post more info on this HID kit and where to purchase? While I haven't researched HID's in a while, everything I read says they should not be used in a reflector type housing. I'm curious about thus metal wrap.

·
Registered
687 Posts
any pics yet ??

·
Registered
169 Posts
Would you PLEASE post more info on this HID kit and where to purchase? While I haven't researched HID's in a while, everything I read says they should not be used in a reflector type housing. I'm curious about thus metal wrap.
Ideally, no, they shouldn't be used in reflector setups as it produces a lot of glare. However, the band around the bulb near the center helps to reduce it. When I look directly at my headlights, it's bright, but it doesn't have the offensive glare that I see in a lot of cars on the road with the standard kit.
My friend has a supplier in China and he imports them directly and installs them as well.

I found a similar kit on eBay which has that band around the bulb to reduce glare.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xenon-HID...bs-anti-glare-warning-cancellor-/230501484506

The seller states the band reduces the life expectancy of the bulb significantly, but so far I've been running my setup for 2 years and so far so good. But you can the picture of the bulb with the band around it.

What also helps is the manual height adjustment dial. In suburban driving where there's a lot of illumination from the street lights already, I just point the headlights down a bit just in case I offend anyone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ideally, no, they shouldn't be used in reflector setups as it produces a lot of glare. However, the band around the bulb near the center helps to reduce it. When I look directly at my headlights, it's bright, but it doesn't have the offensive glare that I see in a lot of cars on the road with the standard kit.
My friend has a supplier in China and he imports them directly and installs them as well.

I found a similar kit on eBay which has that band around the bulb to reduce glare.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xenon-HID...bs-anti-glare-warning-cancellor-/230501484506

The seller states the band reduces the life expectancy of the bulb significantly, but so far I've been running my setup for 2 years and so far so good. But you can the picture of the bulb with the band around it.

What also helps is the manual height adjustment dial. In suburban driving where there's a lot of illumination from the street lights already, I just point the headlights down a bit just in case I offend anyone.
Hi arith, i am also in sydney. Can you please advise me who to contact in sydney for the installation . Thanks

·
Registered
161 Posts
the easiest thing to do would be to just get regular H11 low beams that are more white. the best ones ive found are Hoen Xenon Match. i got them for my dads 2014 XC60 and they match the lower LEDs really well. much easier and cheaper than trying to do some crazy conversion kit or install HIDs and getting all sorts of codes.

http://www.hoen-usa.com/low.htm

as for the interior, if you get short wedge type LEDs that should take care of everything. 8 should do it. the trunk takes a festoon bulb, but i dont know the size.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Led conversion under pole position sticky above..... Mods can we get ariths' hid conversion placed in pole position w/ sticky as well?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello guys,
I´m a little bit farther the you all. I live in Brazil and own 2011 S60 T5 and I´ve been walking a long way trying to make my Xenon works. Initially I've bought a "generic" 6000K HID system (bulbs + ballasts). I've installed everything with a friend of mine. By the first days, it worked quite fine, than started flickering then randomly shutting down after less of a sec since turned on. And just happened on the driver's side. This kept going until the left side went off permanently. I asked for some help to the seller's of the kit and we found out that the ballast was gone. We replaced and everything went fine until a few days later when everything happened again. New ballast and we went all over again. I got pissed of and decided to import a Philips HID conversion kit. A couple months later and a few importing taxes payed, and I got the kit. Made the switch and WOW, the quality of the light beam was perfect. My happiness was gone a few weeks later when the system started flickering again (always just the driver´s side). Went to an auto shop and tried hard to find out the problem until one of the lamps was burned out. Here I go again importing new lamps. Few months laters (no tax this time) and here they come! I've replaced the lamp and everything went just fine for a couple of days and there and back again I was. But this time, a few days after flickering and shutting down, the driver's side system went of permanently. I went back to the auto shop and they tried hard to find out what was going on, including installing the halogen lamps back, but the drivers side never turned on. Bottom of line: tomorrow I'm going to the volvo shop to ask them to put the halogen lamps back and find out the driver's side lamp problem. I've got no idea what else I could do to make it work. I've tried some regular HID kit and the best of all them (Philips), none of them gave me a break, and always the driver's side (I tried to install the ballast in several different places). Anybody have any suggestion or any clue of what must have gone?
Regars and sorry for the long message (I've been struggling against this Xenon for at least 18 months):mad::angryfire:

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Looking at the schematic, both halogen headlamps are driven directly from the CEM. It's possible they are being driven with a Pulse Width Modulated signal (PWM) rather than a steady 12volts. I know other manufacturers use PWM in DRL mode to extend the service life of the Halogen bulb. Since Volvo doesn't really have a DRL mode, all lamp are on all the time in DRL mode, I'm not sure they utilize PWM in the headlamp system. The only way to know for sure would be to hook an oscilloscope on the 12volt headlamp wire to check for pulses. I can see this giving a ballast grief, and can also see those ballast causing damage to the CEM headlamp drivers as well. If this is the case, there might be an adapter out there that will interface to the PWM 12volt signal and output a steady 12volts for your ballast.

As far as getting your halogens back operating, check fuses 11A/1, 11A/2 and 11B/23. If your fuses and halogen lamps test good then I'm afraid you may have damaged your CEM..

·
Registered
169 Posts
Good call. On our XC60, we had a the license plate light go out all the time. I tried several different filament bulbs, LED bulbs. And since there were no fuses for these lights, I gave up and took it to the dealer to troubleshoot.

I told them it would work for an hour or so, and then go out. After about half a day of diagnostics, they figured it to be the CEM module, which it took a week to order. They were reluctant to go down that route as the CEM was quite expensive and this would be a warranty job and required management approval. A week later it arrived, and about half a day to replace it. But the license plate light was fine after.

I would probably take it to the dealer, and try to convince them to investigate the CEM more closely, and replace it to see if that works.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looking at the schematic, both halogen headlamps are driven directly from the CEM. It's possible they are being driven with a Pulse Width Modulated signal (PWM) rather than a steady 12volts. I know other manufacturers use PWM in DRL mode to extend the service life of the Halogen bulb. Since Volvo doesn't really have a DRL mode, all lamp are on all the time in DRL mode, I'm not sure they utilize PWM in the headlamp system. The only way to know for sure would be to hook an oscilloscope on the 12volt headlamp wire to check for pulses. I can see this giving a ballast grief, and can also see those ballast causing damage to the CEM headlamp drivers as well. If this is the case, there might be an adapter out there that will interface to the PWM 12volt signal and output a steady 12volts for your ballast.

As far as getting your halogens back operating, check fuses 11A/1, 11A/2 and 11B/23. If your fuses and halogen lamps test good then I'm afraid you may have damaged your CEM..
Took the car to the dealer, and got this explanation: the car's eletronics "sees" the amount of energy that de Xenon uses as a electrical failure in the lamps system, so it shuts the power off to the lamp to prevent major damage to the electronic central. They plugged the diagnostic device on the car, found the "error" message and corrected this. After that, the halogen lamp went on again. They said that everytime they installed xenon, the costumers went back with the same complain I had. So they stopped installing and recommended super white lamps.

To sum up this novel, I'm back with my halogen lamps and won't try xenon anymore...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts