SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hi All,

I replaced the serpentine belt and water pump (and T-stat) on the 3.2L last weekend. Takes a while, but I found it to be an enjoyable job, like most maintenance chores on this engine. I was hoping to be able to put together a video with better production values, but I got rushed with projects starting to logjam as winter approaches. The result is that I wound up with a very long rambling YouTube video. Hopefully it's useful for someone:

Things I found at 140K miles:

-Belt was in sorry condition
-Water pump was definitely nearing it's end of life.
-Thermostat was broken. 90% functional, but pressure against the head is all that was keeping the insides together.
-PS pump has a center dowel pin that definitely needs (and is supposed to be) replaced. The new water pump comes with a new dowel to line the PS pump up.
-You most definitely need to replace the upper rad hose when doing the T-stat. Mine was very well stuck on the old thermostat.

Cheers,
-Ryan

Reactions: Robusti

·
Registered
370 Posts
Cool to put out a vid. You inspired me to swap out my thermostat which I just finished. Mine was broken also as you described. I’m at 120k.

2010 xc90 3.2 | 2017 Prius V Five

·
Registered
471 Posts
Awesome work! Thanks for making the video!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!

I hope it helps. The A/C bracket is fairly different on the pre-2011 ones.

I realized only after the fact. that I plugged GearWrenches about 10 different times! Lots of other cringeworthy babbling going on too. I figured that I'd just upload it warts and all just to add to the knowledge base.

-Ryan

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey @Ryan. Is there some trick to moving the power steering pump far enough away from the water pump? I saw you had yours tucked away under the ABS, but I don't seem to have that much room. I could maybe get those gear wrenches on all the water pump screws, but it's no where near as far away as I saw in your video.

Thanks!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey @Ryan. Is there some trick to moving the power steering pump far enough away from the water pump? I saw you had yours tucked away under the ABS, but I don't seem to have that much room. I could maybe get those gear wrenches on all the water pump screws, but it's no where near as far away as I saw in your video.

Thanks!
I had to do some gymnastics with the pump to get it underneath the ABS. So much so, it was a little tricky to get the pump back out from under it. One thing I noticed is that the hose to the reservoir is a major player in what you can do with the pump.

If needed, you can gently bend the brake lines a bit out of the way.

-Ryan

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gymnastics, nice. 🙂 Your video has been essential, btw. Thank you!
Thanks! I'm glad it helped someone! It's a train wreck from a production point of view. :)

-Ryan

·
Registered
39 Posts
-Thermostat was broken. 90% functional, but pressure against the head is all that was keeping the insides together.
-You most definitely need to replace the upper rad hose when doing the T-stat. Mine was very well stuck on the old thermostat.

Cheers,
-Ryan
Still in the process of replacing mine, but wanted to note that I found both of those items the same on my XC90 @ 160k miles. Spring essentially popped out when I finally got the housing off. I never was able to remove the upper house from that housing. I ended up cutting the hose since I already had a replacement. Waiting on a power steering pump to arrive to continue the fun. :)

-Craig

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wasn't digging the way that the upper and lower rad hoses attach on the ends opposite the radiator. I bought both the upper and lower hoses. I was *glad* that I had the upper hose. The amount of destruction required to remove it from the thermostat was reason enough not to try and replace the lower hose.

-Ryan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts