SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of course this all happens when I am out of town.

2010 XC70 with about 98k. Tuesday at lunch my wife went out to the parking garage and found the car totally no responsive to the key. Used the metal key to open and found 100% electric failure. Nothing worked.

My recommendation was have the AAA battery guy come out, as in doing his thing he can check that the battery is fine along with the terminal connections. Past battery failure on this car has left enough juice for dim lights, etc.

Short of that I guess the only option is tow it to an independent. Before that starts to spin out of control ($$$) anyone aware of a single point of failure that would take all the electric function with it? I know battery could fail 100% though that is not so common.

On Sunday the AC was not cooling well, so I had the hood open and added half a can of 134a, which helped, though come monday she reported the AC was back to lackluster cooling at idle. I assume not related, but thought I would see if there is something I might have knocked loose, etc.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Most likely a dead battery. Could just be old or something could have caused it to drain, like the engine cooling fan staying on.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most likely a dead battery. Could just be old or something could have caused it to drain, like the engine cooling fan staying on.
I have had a complete battery failure and it was similar, so might be the same.

One question, is there any single control module or computer with the capacity to do something like this?

I did read about a recall on the 2008-2009 3.2 where some temp control module failed which caused AC issue and could casue engine overheating. While that was a recall that probably didn't impact my engine, the same type of sensor behaving the same way could have gotten me here. Bad AC a few days earlier, followed by a complete battery drain if the blower fan stayed on after she parked the car for the day.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
I'm not aware of any such recall. I've seen plenty of P3s with dead batteries with your symptom. I've never had one where a module was deliberately cutting all power. The battery is the obvious place to start.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not aware of any such recall. I've seen plenty of P3s with dead batteries with your symptom. I've never had one where a module was deliberately cutting all power. The battery is the obvious place to start.
100% dead battery. As soon as I hooked my booster up, no key even in, the radiator fan came on. So, clearly there is my problem. Jumped it, got home, and disconnected teh battery. Will probably have to jump it again tomorrow to take over to the shop. I'd love to do the repair myself, but I suspect the wife will say pay for it. It sounds like the fan control module also will dump the AC at idle. So two birds, one stone.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
There ya go. Hopefully you can save the battery with a slow charge. Replace the fan and you should be good.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There ya go. Hopefully you can save the battery with a slow charge. Replace the fan and you should be good.
What do you think about doing the install myself? For comparison, I've done multiple of the dreaded PCV's on S60/xc90 3.2's. So pretty comfortable under the hood.

There is a V70 write-up on Matthews, with pics.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
I think you mean the 5 cylinder PCVs. The 3.2s are very easy.

The fan isn't hard. It comes out from the top. You have to unbolt the compressor to move it and the lines. Might consider replacement of the drive belt, idler and tensioner at that point (or at least the idler and tensioner if you don't feel like pulling the power steering pump to do the belt).

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think you mean the 5 cylinder PCVs. The 3.2s are very easy.

The fan isn't hard. It comes out from the top. You have to unbolt the compressor to move it and the lines. Might consider replacement of the drive belt, idler and tensioner at that point (or at least the idler and tensioner if you don't feel like pulling the power steering pump to do the belt).
So I was noticing the belt is looking a little rough. I may save that for another weekend, get those parts ordered. For the fan I'll just go grab the part from the dealer.

Dealer part: $514
Dealer Labor: $487
Independent total: $800

Not feeling like $300 for labor is doing it for me.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And done. There is a great post on Matthews that walks through the fan swap. Took that guy 1.5hrs and he disconnected rad hoses. I skipped the rad hoses and had a helper, took about 45 min. The lower tabs on the fan housing are way longer than they need to be, I took 1/4" off each side and the reinstall went in pretty easy.

Couple beers cost was much better than $300.

Post coming soon on the accessory belt and some oil/fluid pooling near the ps pump.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you have an oil leak, check the brake vacuum pump. Very common failure. There's a reseal kit available.
I'll create a new post, but there is oil starting up high, just under the T6 decorative engine cover, then everything down has an oil coating on it, so not sure if those are other sources or the same. but I got photos.

Battery, which was 18 mo old, ended up being shot. It had previously been replaced by Autozone, so I did have to buy a new one, bringing the total repair to 624$ and a couple beers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts