SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2022 XC60 B6 Inscription
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife's car. She used it no problem on a Friday. Following Sunday evening it was dead. Battery would not turn over engine (no clicking, just one 'rumpf' and nothing), electric tailgate not opening, lots of messages/lights. Jump started from my car, and then drove the XC60 in manual mode (to keep the RPMs in 2000-3000 range) for 20+ minutes. Parked car in garage and waited until Monday morning (today) to start it, and nothing. Just like yesterday evening. Obviously, I suspect the alternator, but I'm wondering what else I could check before making that assumption? I haven't been under this car before (wife does everything at dealership), but I'd like to get it up on ramps and trace wires to/from alternator to make sure mice haven't been hard at work. Also, check grounds. Since I haven't done any maintenance on this car (I do a lot on my other cars), where do you recommend I start looking? Just put a multi-meter on the battery when the car is running to see if I'm getting about 14v? Where do these cables run? Thanks everyone! :)

·
Registered
13,976 Posts
How old is the battery?

·
Registered
2022 XC60 B6 Inscription
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't know. I do know we've replaced it at least 1 time in ownership. I'll look when I get home, see if it is marked on the battery. If not, then I'll sort through paperwork history.

·
Registered
2022 XC60 B6 Inscription
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've continued researching here ... found the sat radio module can keep drawing 12v with the car off and there's a software update to fix it. I don't know if that's the problem, since this power drain seems to have come on suddenly. The car has been starting fine, never sitting more than 3 or 4 days between starts, and now this happens.

·
Registered
2022 XC60 B6 Inscription
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't know. I do know we've replaced it at least 1 time in ownership. I'll look when I get home, see if it is marked on the battery. If not, then I'll sort through paperwork history.
Called dealership and the only battery replacement they have on record is from 2014. So, yea, might be just a old battery. I'll put a volt meter on it and see if the alternator is trying to charge it.

Reactions: Bunnspeed

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
2014 battery? I can almost guarantee it’s the battery. I would change it and not overthink it. Don’t get sidetracked by other weird electrical things you might be seeing as a result of the system not having enough juice to operate properly.

Reactions: catfish93

·
Registered
13,976 Posts
When these batteries fail it can be quite sudden so yeah, if it's seven years old then I'd start there first.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Remember to reset your BMS system after changing the battery. This can be done in VIDA or apparently via a combination of button presses (see YouTube videos). I always have used the VIDA method.

·
Registered
2012 XC60 3.2
23 Posts
Simple way to test the alternator is put a volt meter on the battery when the car is running. If it's around 14V to 15V, it's fine.

See below for battery location, just open the cover. Be careful don't break the plastic clips. Mine was broken by previous owner so the cover just hangs on there loosely.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Do you have satellite radio?
Although your battery is draining too fast in this situation, if you don't use it and don't want to pay for the firmware update, I've installed a MOST jumper on both XC60s and unplugged the power to the satellite radio receiver (RDAR) module.

See the TJ and the video I linked for a detailed explanation why the RDAR drains your battery.

For everyone else reading this it's a great DIY modification!

A good video explaining the problem... Except DO NOT do as he did and plug power back into the RDAR module. Keep the power disconnected:

TJ:

The jumpers I used vs the Volvo OEM bypass kit (I like this kit as it includes a male jumper to prevent dust from getting into the receiver optical port). I replicated the Volvo design using black adhesive felt.

·
Registered
516 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm having a very similar issue at the moment with my 2010 XC60. After leaving the car parked for 5 days I come out and it's completely dead. Like reading 3V on the battery dead. This was with a 6 month old Interstate battery in it.

After fully charging the battery overnight, I followed one of the other posts here about diagnosing drain by introducing an ammeter to the circuit at the battery and puling all fuses sequentially to see what was causing the parasitic draw. This didn't yield any results for the at-rest draw dropping below 0.33A, but I did notice a large jump when I plugged the Sirius (F4) and the audio system (F6) fuses back in.

What would everyone's next steps be? I'm thinking to make an appointment to have my software updated as I know the MOST bus and other things have updates available, but should I just purchase a MOST bypass loop and eliminate the RDAR module on the assumption that it's the culprit? Also, is 0.33A draw at rest after sitting for ~10min normal for these cars? It seems awfully high to me.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Who reset the BMS when they replaced it?

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nobody did. I just replaced the battery and didn't reset anything. Could that be leading to this issue? The battery was replaced at the end of November, and this seemingly came on suddenly in the last week or so. I've had the car in for service on unrelated matters (coolant and brake flush) the week prior though. Is it likely that it would have been reset then when they used VIDA to reset the codes? Or is it a specific process to reset the BMS?

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
That draw is too high. It should be under 20 milliamps. Not resetting the BMS won't cause a draw.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
Have to isolate the circuit to find out what is causing the draw. Something is being missed. It can take longer than 10 minutes to go to sleep sometimes though.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I'm having a very similar issue at the moment with my 2010 XC60. After leaving the car parked for 5 days I come out and it's completely dead. Like reading 3V on the battery dead. This was with a 6 month old Interstate battery in it.

After fully charging the battery overnight, I followed one of the other posts here about diagnosing drain by introducing an ammeter to the circuit at the battery and puling all fuses sequentially to see what was causing the parasitic draw. This didn't yield any results for the at-rest draw dropping below 0.33A, but I did notice a large jump when I plugged the Sirius (F4) and the audio system (F6) fuses back in.

What would everyone's next steps be? I'm thinking to make an appointment to have my software updated as I know the MOST bus and other things have updates available, but should I just purchase a MOST bypass loop and eliminate the RDAR module on the assumption that it's the culprit? Also, is 0.33A draw at rest after sitting for ~10min normal for these cars? It seems awfully high to me.

Any help would be appreciated.

View attachment 131288
You can very easily test if the RDAR is part of the problem by just unplugging the power to it and do the mod I described here: 2010 XC60 w/ 145,000 miles - won't hold a charge

It's very easy to access under the rear bench seat middle backrest section.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts